LegacyGT.com

Official Lowered Outback Thread V2

GTEASER

• 2 weeks later...
I see you got the WIDE bars! I have my box and wide kit on the car at the moment as well. Nowhere near that stretch though!

Never saw your post. Yes, I believe those are 70" wide Yakima Jetstream. This was the max width they had. Bought them in 2018. Pretty good stuff. Been carrying a large ARB awning, the Yakima box and three bike racks (here only showing the Yakima box and two bike racks).

But yeah, not meant to be on a 'small' outback like this one :spin:. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta sometimes.

Woah, looks so good with the legacy rails and grill. Is that a bayson R lip?

Thanks! Finding the crossbars for the Legacy rails was a pain, but found them eventually from the Original manufacturer. The lip is some cheap one off eBay, an S204 replica I believe.

The grille was a bit more involved. The middle wing section is from a Legacy grille that I then chopped up, and also chopped up my original Outback grille to make it. Lots of epoxy, cutting, sanding and filler, but think it came out nice.

Edited by Blue Fox

Wheel size and offset? Tire dimension? Rails look good.

Wheels are Konig 17x7.5. 48 offset, and run 15mm H&R wheel spacers with extended studs. Tires are Hankook iCept 215/60 R17 winters. They're decent (especially for the price I got them for, $51/each), but they’re no Blizzaks. Once these wear out, I’ll be going back to Blizzaks or Hakkkappppelllllllllliitaaaas.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received the final piece so I can start my outback ultimate subframe spacer removal. As I was piecing this together I added in a few upgraded parts when they were available. I'll post pics as I get into it but here's the parts list.

I bought all of the hardware from the junkyard while removing these parts so they've been cleaned and anything necessary or in better shape than what comes out will get used during assembly.

*•*901000304 (4) Front suspension Crossmember Bolt $5 each from Subaru

*•*59020AG11C catalytic converter heat shield $25 Subaru

*•*20250AG040 left rear spec b UCA $65 from Subaru (already installed)

*•*20250AG050 right rear spec b UCA $65 from Subaru (already installed)

*•*20501AG04A left rear bump stop $2 junkyard (already installed)

*•*20501AG03A right rear bump stop $2 junkyard (already installed)

*•*901370009 (2) front LCA bushing stud $1 each junkyard

*•*41011AE100 (1) Cross Member Complete. Cross Member. (Rear) cleaned and painted $7 junkyard

*•*20540AE090 Rear Lower Trailing Arm Bracket LFT Side. cleaned and painted $7 junkyard

*•*20540AE080 Rear Lower Trailing Arm Bracket RT Side. cleaned and painted $7 junkyard

*•*W63398 whiteline rear trailing arm front bushing $40 RSD

*•*41011AE020 (1) Engine Mount Crossmember (Front) cleaned and painted $7 junkyard

*•*34170FG011 STI solid steering joint $55 ebay

*•*D1010FE020 Group n trans mount $55 from Subaru

*•*KDT901 whiteline Front Gearbox - Crossmember Pad Bushing $50 RSD

*•*C1010FL050 STI legacy short throw shifter for linkage $225 Subaru

*•*224315 cobb adjustable short throw shifter

*•*211320 cobb front shifter bushing

*•*211330 cobb rear shifter bushing

*•*211350 cobb shift knob because mine doesn't have the boot retainer (cobb bits were bought new/locally from a fellow doing a 6mt swap) $175

*•*684-477A Cusco Front lower arm bar Type II (no longer need 20216AG08B and 20216AG09B Plate Arm NMLRH) $165 shipped sparkteck

*•*26212-1292955 driveshaft store $476.28 shipped driveshaft store. ships from powertrain industries. searching "1292-955 powertrain industries" reveals a pricelist showing $341.25. not sure if they sell direct or not but $135.03 less might be worth checking into

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Edited by norutah

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my lowered XT, I'm actually selling but it's been a real delight. I never got into the weeds on mods. Just some BC coils and toe arms. 4zdkk1G.jpg

I never did get wheels for the car, but if something happens and I end up keeping the car you can best believe it's getting some retro JDM 3 piece wheels to match my s14.

gvrbzfpy2jx61.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This is probably answered in here somewhere but there is sooo much info in so many posts ...that I'll just ask directly.

What is (roughly) the max drop that will still allow factory tire size on a 3rd gen?

We just covered that recently. might be in another thread. Let me look for it.

Here's the post

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6031179&postcount=1460

"My suspicions were confirmed. I believed at ~1.5" front drop on legacy coilovers I was binding the suspension and loading the FSB. I suspected this because when I decreased the lower spring seat .25 to go from 1.25 drop to 1.5 drop the wheel arch measurement did not change...

Here's the page so you can read it in context:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-outback-todayi-v3-276010.html?p=6031232#post6031232

This isn't exactly answering your tire question, but before you start lowering, you should be considering the suspension limits.

For tires, you can switch to a LGT sized tire to go lower partly due to smaller over all tire diameter making you closer to the ground, and partly due to smaller diameter tire fitting in the wheel well better. Swap in LGT ABS unit to fix the speedometer error (I have one I need to sell for 05-06.... not sure about newer OBs).

But you said stock tire size:

Stock tire size: I was on 0.9" lower than stock LGT springs with LGT (Koni) struts/shocks (fixed, not coil overs) on stock OEM OB wheels n tires. There's some rubbing at extreme turn angle, but nothing terrible. I'm not sure how low that is compared to stock OB.