LegacyGT.com

Cylinders 3 and 4

What is the maintenance level on this car?

If it isn't so well maintained I'd start with suspecting the plugs and wires.

If it is well looked after I'd switch my first thought to the coil or jumped timing. I got some 3 and 4 misfire codes when my timing was jumped. They were mostly at idle.

the typical NGK copper plugs on these only last 30,000 miles.

(my H4 has NGK double plats, as they are so small the price is still cheap for something so much better).

________

but as its 3 and 4:

what kind of coil does it have.

ones of this year should say "subaru" in small letters etched on the front.

aftermarket ones can be JUNK. (might last a few thousand miles and then fail).

...and then some of them are even more expensive the OEM.

I would even consider getting a used one for $20 out of a pick and pull as the OEM lasts so long.

As originally stated by RustyRu, tell him to switch the wires from no 1 plug to number 3 and number 2 plug to number 4.

Clear the codes by disconnecting the battery if he doesn't have access to a scanner and then run again.

If the misfires are now on 1 and 2. its the wires. If they stay on 3 and 4 its probably the coil,

Alternatively if he can use a multimeter there are resistance values for the cords and the coil.

O

ignition coil and ignitor assembly.pdf

spark plug cord.pdf

I'd check the resistance values on the coil per the first PDF that Osei uploaded. Makes quick work if you have a multimeter. If you don't have one, buy one. I used to have a cheap $5 one from HFT that served it's purpose, but I realized a long time ago how important having a good one is, so I bought one of the expensive ones from HFT a few years ago and it's still going on it original battery.

• 4 weeks later...
you'll get a misfire....

I think you are unaware of some basic electricity and logic.

Just ask any electrician or mechanic.

If the misfire follows the wire, then the wire is bad and you've probably found your source.

You won't create a misfire by using a labeled 2 wire on any other cylinder as long as it reaches.

Try it.

O.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived