LegacyGT.com

abs light

Energyblue98

I changed my wheel bearing with a moog wheel bearing because the stock one was making a whining noise. the moog seemed to be a much stronger bearing/hub than the stock one. After I put it in, my abs light came on. So i took the sensor out and cleaned it a little bit and put it back in. the light went away for about 1 mile and then came back.

What is wrong? I've looked around on here and seen that the wheel bearing has a magnetic strip on the inside for the sensor to read the wheel movement from. Would moog really not have that magnetic strip in it? I though Moog was the top of the line for that sort of thing.. could the cable have gone back?

Mods, can we move this thread to another section? not sure that it's in the right spot....

Also, I'm pretty confident the abs light is because of the hub, or the $50 cable sensor but i'm not sure which one to replace, I keep dumping money into this car and I dont know how much longer I can keep doing it..

I'm going to assume you've checked the cable for possible damage from the hub swap. If not, that's a good place to start.

Some members have reported issues with non-OEM bearings being used on the front wheels, citing ABS issues like you have described. You don't mention which bearing you replaced (front or rear), so I'm not sure if this may come into play or not. The general consensus is that Moog should be fine for the rear wheels. For what it's worth, I have Timken bearings on all four corners and have no ABS or cruise control issues.

Because these issue began right after a bearing replacement, my money would be on a faulty/weak magnetic ring in the new hub you put in. If this is the case, your only option would be to replace the hub again.

Hope this helps a bit.

It was a front hub. I have checked the cable for visual damage and hadnt seen any. I guess i will have to pay another $260 and get an oem hub and find a few hours to put it on :(

For now, ive disabled the p0500 code in the tune so it doesnt throw my check engine light, seems stupid that it disables cruise control and the si drive for a check engine light...

Check the 'tone ring' (it's the black magnetic ring) on the back of the hub.. Make sure it's clear of grease, dirt, etc... Take a cloth and wipe it down... then make sure that there's no dirt in the sensor hole.

Also spin the hub with your hands and see if the tone ring spins with it... then see if you can stop the tone ring from moving when you're spinning the hub... They should both spin together no matter what.

I've gone through this recently.. lol I'm actually using an ABS sensor that is partially ground down because it was rubbing against the dust guard on the CV axle... still works. I'm also using an Autozone duralast hub.... or something...

You can not use a Moog for the front they only work in the rear. It's been talked about a lot.

Read post # 66

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p2.html

Check the DIY forum.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-wheel-bearing-diy-walkthrough-86994.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's frustrating, I like Moog's products. I suppose I will have to get the oem one, anyone know where I could get the oem bearing at the cheapest price? best price I've found is $150 on infamous performance's site

Hopefully Advance will take the Moog bearing back as "defective" and get me the money back for that.

Archived