LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Cost of parts (if possible, new, since that's more consistent) and approximate number of labor hours needed to swap to a 6mt?

Transmission including clutch assembly/flywheel, or do you need to purchase that seperately?

I'm wondering because I've seen plenty of clutch jobs run $1500 for parts and labor, and it seems like this could be an option if it's $2500-3000 and you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Joe

Transmission Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B 6MT, 2004, 2005 STI 6MT $2500

Rear Differential Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B R180, 2004+ STI R180, <2004 Legacy or you can use a regeared stock R160 as well with stock LGT rear axles $250

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - 2007+ Spec B or custom Driveshaft Shop Axles $750

Etc: DCCD Controller for STI 6MT $350, 2005+ 2.5i LGT Auto Driveshaft$50-150 (depends on the junkyard, dealer etc), appropriate 6MT flywheel and clutch I picked up a stock STI flywheel for $25 I think, then a SPEC 3+ clutch package for $750 or so I think.

Add labor on top of that if you're not doing the job.

So lets say I were to go the route of an 05 STi 6spd for my 05 Outback XT.

The outbacks have an R180 rear diff with a 4.444 final drive gear ratio.

Would this be compatible? There is an 05 STi at a salvage yard not too far from me that is nearly complete available for partout.

You'll still need the STI R180. It's not that its an R160 or an R180 but rather the gearing that is important. The STI and Spec B R180 are a 3.9 final drive, which is what is required for the STI swap, so you will not be able to use the outback's stock R180. You may however be able to use the axles, if you do the swap, you can take a picture of the axles and I'll be able to tell for you, I think there is a pic in Hammer's thread from my swap comparing the Spec axles to the stock LGTs.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice little write-up. I was wondering how hard it is for GT's to switch the 6MT the other day.

I'd ask if anyone has done it on an N/A, but you probably couldn't even get it into 6th gear :lol:

I can always dream though.

If you going to keep the car & it's what you want. IMO a 05 STi 6MT would be prefect for your N|A. 6MT is geared lower in the 1st 3 gears & higher in the last 2, them the 5MT. 6MT 6th gear is 0.756 & I think the 5MT 5th gear is 0.780. This will keep you more is the torque band & make the car quicker. Plus you have a center DCCD & front & rear LSD. Which makes it almost unstoppable snow. With snow tires & you don't run out of ground clearance :)

groff, great thread :woowoo::woowoo::cool:

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

So lets say I were to go the route of an 05 STi 6spd for my 05 Outback XT.

The outbacks have an R180 rear diff with a 4.444 final drive gear ratio.

Would this be compatible? There is an 05 STi at a salvage yard not too far from me that is nearly complete available for partout.

You can also check into the option of regearing you R180.

Mike

Cost of parts (if possible, new, since that's more consistent) and approximate number of labor hours needed to swap to a 6mt?

Transmission including clutch assembly/flywheel, or do you need to purchase that seperately?

I'm wondering because I've seen plenty of clutch jobs run $1500 for parts and labor, and it seems like this could be an option if it's $2500-3000 and you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Joe

It cost me 6k all together. 6 speed tranaxle, rear diff, drive shaft, flywheel, pressure plate, new clutch disk and DCCD controller. Cost $4600.00 + $200.00 shipping = $4800.00.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_3817.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_3816.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_3814.jpg

If you have all the part & help from a friend or two. Give your self a weekend min.

Mike

I'd so love to do this and scrap the 5EAT but for the cost/trouble it would probably be best just to get a fully built 5EAT

The "?" is, even with a fully built 5EAT. Will you be happy & is that what you really want.

Mike

The "?" is, even with a fully built 5EAT. Will you be happy & is that what you really want.

Mike

Well the cost for me to do the swap for a 6MT vs a built 5EAT would be quite a bit more. Besides the swap parts and transmission I'd need a clutch that could hold up to 550+whp plus longer down time.

I do wish I had a manual tranny but at the same time a very powerful 5EAT is quite the ride.. consistent and constant pull. They both have pros/cons.. Maybe one day I can justify the cost of either as well as the 11k motor rebuild

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

I'd so love to do this and scrap the 5EAT but for the cost/trouble it would probably be best just to get a fully built 5EAT

The real question is, would it be cheaper to sell your auto and buy a Spec B or a 5MT to start the swap from? I'm going to guess yes both on parts and labor hours.

The ECU seems like it would be more of a problem than expected at first when it comes to the swap. Not sure how the other electronics in the car would play in (BIU comes into play?), not to mention the immobilizer/etc.

The real question is, would it be cheaper to sell your auto and buy a Spec B or a 5MT to start the swap from? I'm going to guess yes both on parts and labor hours.

The ECU seems like it would be more of a problem than expected at first when it comes to the swap. Not sure how the other electronics in the car would play in (BIU comes into play?), not to mention the immobilizer/etc.

Yes and no.. my car has so many mods the hours it would take to transfer to another car would be insane. Even then how would a stock 5MT or Spec B handle 550whp?

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Yes and no.. my car has so many mods the hours it would take to transfer to another car would be insane. Even then how would a stock 5MT or Spec B handle 550whp?

the stock 5SP, will NOT handle 550whp. the SpecB / Sti 6-SP, however should.

you have 2 choices for that power level:

1. Swap to a 6-speed, AND R180 rear diff. However i would be suspect of the subaru R160 -> R180 SpecB Axels at those power levels. (i'd reccommend a STI 6SP, since you get a Front LSD)

2. Build your 5-SP with PPG gears.

FYI, i am on an STI 6-SP, with R160 Rear Diff, and i have just replaced the Rear diff for the 3rd time due to the sheer power my car makes.. over 400whp.

^^ Maybe you just suck at tranny swaps.. or driving.

There are PLENTY of WRX STi's out there making way more than 400whp and not chewing up rear diffs.

And how do you know the stock 5MT won't handle 550whp? i only know of a handful 5MT's that have granaded and over half of those cases were drivers doing stupid human tricks.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^^ Maybe you just suck at tranny swaps.. or driving.

There are PLENTY of WRX STi's out there making way more than 400whp and not chewing up rear diffs.

And how do you know the stock 5MT won't handle 550whp? i only know of a handful 5MT's that have granaded and over half of those cases were drivers doing stupid human tricks.

You know, i have one of the most modified legacies in the country, and i dont post that much because of asswipe comments like that.....

"There are PLENTY of WRX STi's out there making way more than 400whp and not chewing up rear diffs." <---- that is because they are using the R180 rear diff! , and that is what i suggested the poster use.

i know for a fact that factory 5-speed will not handle that power, because mine didn't. and i know how to drive just fine. My car had never been slammed into gear, or abused.. clutch all the way out before mashing on it.

I'm going to guess, you have never broken anydrivetrain component on your car due to power? why don't you let the people that have accually had experience with these transmissions say thier piece!

Output shaft main bearing grenaded

I'm on my third clutch because I was one of the pioneers for finding clutchs for our cars

I'm in the process of replacing almost every rubber bushing on the car because I've turned them all to mush.

And just because you broke your tranny, doesn't mean all the 5MT's are gonna go. There are plenty of LGT's with GT30r's. I have a GT28rs. whoop dee doo

You got me on the 160-180 part though

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

so if i get a 07 sti trans i can run my stock axels in the front and run my stock diff in the rear? and has anyone tried to make axels by using sti cup for the diff and stock lgt axel for the hub? what driveshaft do i need if i run the 07 sti trans with the stock rear diff?

Output shaft main bearing grenaded

I'm on my third clutch because I was one of the pioneers for finding clutchs for our cars

I'm in the process of replacing almost every rubber bushing on the car because I've turned them all to mush.

And just because you broke your tranny, doesn't mean all the 5MT's are gonna go. There are plenty of LGT's with GT30r's. I have a GT28rs. whoop dee doo

You got me on the 160-180 part though

a gt28 is not much different than a td06 20g, its not anywhere near the level of a gt30.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

so if i get a 07 sti trans i can run my stock axels in the front and run my stock diff in the rear? and has anyone tried to make axels by using sti cup for the diff and stock lgt axel for the hub? what driveshaft do i need if i run the 07 sti trans with the stock rear diff?

+1 for an answer to this

a gt28 is not much different than a td06 20g, its not anywhere near the level of a gt30.

I'm at 330 WHP and 30r's put down 350-400 (on our dyno). I'm not all that far behind and EVERYONE who rides/drives my car thinks it pulls much harder than it does n the dyno. That includes several aftermarket professionals that play with 500+ HP cars all day.

The legacy tranny is pretty damn strong, especially if comparad to the Imprezza 5MT

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons