LegacyGT.com

spec.B Owners Advice Needed

Hello all,

I am seeking advice from anyone that has owned a LGT spec.B other than the 06 OR really just anyone knowledgeable on the subject. I presently drive an 06 B #77 and I love it. However I have owned the car for a few years now and I am starting to look into a new car. With that said I am evaluating the 07-09 spec.B's and possibly a bmw 335, like I said still in the beginning stages. The reason I am posting here today is I am hoping to gain some advice from owners of the spec.B's after 06 or anyone that thinks they have a useful $0.02 or recommendations.

spec.B ?'s

My biggest question is how good the 6-speed trans is. I have heard it is a very nice sti-inspired transmission and I am just wondering how it compares to the 5-speed on the 06.

How much of a noticeable difference does the SI drive make and is it a desirable difference? As of now I slightly relieved that the 06 didn't come with it because it just seems like an unnecessary piece of technology that will fail and be a costly repair. That being said that an opinion not based on fact just feeling.

Based on the pictures I have seen the interior on the spec.B's doesn't vary much besides the brick red leather seats only coming on the 06. Do the older years come with an AUX chord or some sort of ipod integration? Is there much discrepancy between them and which tends to be best?

Finally, The way I understand it is the power on the spec.B's doesn't change throughout the years from 250 bhp and 250 ft. lbs. torque. I'm wondering if the 6-speed and the SI drive make for a different (better?) driving experience on the later spec.B's.

I do have many more questions (mainly regarding what kind of maintenance issues differ between years) but I wanted to start with the basics. I will be happy to receive any feedback from anyone with a valid opinion on this matter.

The ride is much improved over the normal Legacy GT's. My 09 is such a pleasure to drive. I enjoy my 05 5mt GT wagon, but for a long drive the choice is very clear.

A couple months ago I installed the Grimmspeed TMIC on my Spec B after the street tune the car feels more responsive. Even in I mode the boost feels good, it just takes a little longer to get there. In S# the car is fun. The mpg is better in I mode than S# but only by a small amount.

Mine had the Ipod cable but I changed it out for the SAT kit.

The 6 speed is what all these cars should have come with. That's a major "fail" on Subaru's part.

I DD my 05 wagon and save the Spec B for Saturday nights.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The SI drive and the 6 speed manual together are a thing of beauty sir. Put it in granny mode when you're just putting around town or the tank is on E; and the SI# is for when you want to get weird. The difference between the three is very noticeable and it is very nice to have the three options, depending on your mood. The 6-speed is butter smooth and super responsive. The aux jack is nice too!

I have an 07 and love it. There is a very noticeable difference between the SI drive modes. The 6 speed is awesome. Only issue that I have is that the front is an open diff. However, you can swap in one from an sti 6spd so not a huge deal. I'll be doing that when I do my clutch.

I have the aux jack but have a bluetooth receiver plugged into it so I just use that with my phone.

As far as interiors go the 07 spec b got the special interior just like the 06 did. The 07 has black leather and blue alcantera. Here's a picture of what it looks like

http://www.driventodrive.com/images-vehicles/2007SubaruLegacy/07LegSpecB_33.jpg

Where are you located? If you are close you are more than welcome to come check out mine and chat.

Me too, love my '06 but would like the 6 speed and SI drive along with the (same) '07 body.

There was quite a big price difference for me to get into the 06 (possible) and I couldn't come close to an 07, would have cost me probably 6-7k more and it just wasn't possible for me @ the time.

Me too, love my '06 but would like the 6 speed and SI drive along with the (same) '07 body.

There was quite a big price difference for me to get into the 06 (possible) and I couldn't come close to an 07, would have cost me probably 6-7k more and it just wasn't possible for me @ the time.

That fold down rear seat upgrade commands a hell of a premium.

:p

08 has a aux input.

the 6 speed tranny can hold power like the STI, however we have a different flywheel(heavier) and clutch. Great tranny, soooo worth it if you plan to get a bigger turbo.

SI drive is.....a gimmick? lol JK but I dont use mine unless the car has a CEL or i need to stay out of peak boost then I use "I" mode. Other wise I move it to S# soon as the car allows me to.

Wow a lot of great responses and quickly too, much appreciated. Unfortunately based off these responses it looks like my worst fears are confirmed and I will have to find a way to get enough $$ together to purchase an 08. With that being said would anyone be able to accurately venture a guess as to how much I should comfortably be able to expect upon selling my 06? I know there a lot of variables and I will include a short list off the top of my head; 120K miles, stock & unmodded, major repairs done since ownership would be timing belt at around 100k miles, transmission replaced at 118k miles or so (I'm now wishing I started this thread earlier so I could see if anyone out there has tried to find one of the 6-speed's the later B's came with and put it in an 06 B in place of the 5 speed. I'm sure that would be a big and expensive job but my mind runs), and cosmetically there are a few scratches and dings on the outside as well as a rip in the driver's seat leather. I would rate interior and exterior at roughly 7/10. I think in the end it mostly depends on the buyer for these types of cars because for the last few months I have been searching for listings of the 06 b's and seeing what they're being valued at by other owners. I've seen them range from about 10-16K depending on condition, mods etc. (obviously) but I think it would be fair to expect 8K back because of the rarity and the fact that the trans was recently replaced (a $4k job which was a rip off altogether due to my own ignorance and something that is still eating away at me but such is life). Like I said I think it will ultimately depend on the buyer and how quickly I want to accelerate the sale. I have been on craigslist, ebay, classifieds in this forum, pretty much anywhere a "spec.B for sale" search takes me and I have seen some cars being listed for months at a time. Conversely, I know that when I purchased my #77 from the prev. owner it was on craigslist for less than a week before I called him and drove up to Portland, ME to bring her home SO if i could find a buyer that was in the same position i was a few years ago that could really change things. Sorry for rambling but I have been going back and forth on this in my head for months now and I have a lot to say on this matter at this time. Thanks in advance and for the advice already received guys I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Streetlegal

I have an 07 and love it. There is a very noticeable difference between the SI drive modes. The 6 speed is awesome. Only issue that I have is that the front is an open diff. However, you can swap in one from an sti 6spd so not a huge deal. I'll be doing that when I do my clutch.

I have the aux jack but have a bluetooth receiver plugged into it so I just use that with my phone.

As far as interiors go the 07 spec b got the special interior just like the 06 did. The 07 has black leather and blue alcantera. Here's a picture of what it looks like

Where are you located? If you are close you are more than welcome to come check out mine and chat.

Thx Good Response, reminded me of another question that slipped my mind earlier. On most reviews of the 06 spec.B by car&driver etc. i found that one of the most common complaints by experts was about the body roll. I know that this can be remedied courtesy of the build threads I've been reading but I'm curious as to whether this was addressed by Subaru on the later spec.B's? Mainly asking if you notice body roll on your 07.

I am located in the Boston area btw so not exactly near WI haha but thx anyways I genuinely appreciate the offer.

If you can't find the car you want here's what I suggest.

Have Moore Performance Blast Plates installed on your 5mt, I'm amazed at how well my 5mt shifts now.

Replace your turbo with a vf52 or look into one of "JmP6889928" turbo's PM him.

Get the car tuned with the new turbo.

Oh may be think about the Grimmspeed TMIC too.

For say 3000 you can enjoy your car for a long time.

Yes, the later Spec's have the same body roll.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thx Good Response, reminded me of another question that slipped my mind earlier. On most reviews of the 06 spec.B by car&driver etc. i found that one of the most common complaints by experts was about the body roll. I know that this can be remedied courtesy of the build threads I've been reading but I'm curious as to whether this was addressed by Subaru on the later spec.B's? Mainly asking if you notice body roll on your 07.

I am located in the Boston area btw so not exactly near WI haha but thx anyways I genuinely appreciate the offer.

It did have roll but I didn't have anything to compare it to. I now have Perrin 25mm front and rear swaybars so it doesn't as much now.

I've road tripped to Boston before to visit a friend who is actually a fellow member on here JermtheElf

Why are you looking into the 08 out of curiosity? That's when the body changes so not sure if that's your reasoning.

On Moore Performance Blast Plates:

I've never heard of this. Does it make the shifts quicker or smoother or something like that?

On the new turbo:

I understand the vf52 turbo is bigger and capable of more power than the vf40. The turbo has never been replaced and given the high mileage I have been worrying about this lately. Would getting the vf52 require me to get the grimmspeed TMIC? I'm not too well versed as far as tuning and modifications go but I understand the basics; Does a bigger turbo mean I will need to get a whole new setup as far as the fuel pump, injectors, new intercooler etc. go? If so would this still be true with the upgraded vf40 that JMP does that i have come across in other threads?

Funny you mention the grimmspeed tmic, I just ordered my second one. I want it for my wagon, my Spec B has one.

You can keep your stock tmic if you want to save money. You will need a tune though. I running stock fueling with my vf52.

The blast plates ad enough stiffness so the tranny makes every shift at any rpm or power level clean. The tranny no longer fights going into 3rd at high power levels. The tranny has to be lowered to put them on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6629_zps19ecc410.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey if you ever wanna check out an 07 spec b we could probably meet up. I live just south of Boston in the Fall River area. I love my spec b. The tranny is bullet proof. Pretty much the sti tranny and it has the stronger rear dif too. I got mine tuned and the si drive now makes it like 3 different tunes. The I setting is 8 pounds of boost S is 13 pounds and S# is 18. Switching tunes on the fly is instant and I can feel the change. One second im cruising on the highway in I and then U click it to S# and you watch the boost shoot up. The interior is great. It's really like a luxury sti. I went all the way to Colorado for it but it was well worth the drive

Archived