LegacyGT.com

Help with rear brake “rotor”

2014 legacy premium I started to change my break and rotors did one of front went to work on the rear and after getting the rotor off it wasn’t easy I can’t get the new one one on I’m thinking the e brake is on ? I’m trying figure an way to adjust it I found the wheel under the spring at the bottom and adjusted that but still didn’t figure it out

Do you have the correct rotor? There are Subaru rotors that have a smaller e-brake drum diameter.

You have the electronic park brake right? The red light on the switch should be lit if the e-brake is engaged.

Can you get the old one on? If neither goes on, and the inner diameter of the drum portion of the new one is the same as the old one, it's not a rotor issue. Did you disassemble the parking brake components? if you did, then walk through the reassembly and make sure the springs and the parking brake lever is connected to the shoe properly. Next, make sure both of the pins that pass through the shoes and are secured in the springs are in place properly, and not off to some weird angle. If the shoes are fine, and the rotors are the right size, then things probably just got knocked to one side or another when you pulled the old rotor - go to the manual adjuster and make it as short as possible (that's the part with the star wheel on it) - then when you put the shoes in place on it, make sure that the shoes are seated properly on it (there's usually a notch or protrusion it sits in on both shoes) - once everything is adjusted right, squeeze the shoes from the outer diameter and make sure everything is round/in place (make sure you don't get grease on the shoe braking surface) - finally, try and wiggle the drum/rotor over the shoes and onto the hub.

If the drum part of the rotors are the same, and there isn't a big lip on the old rotors (pretty unlikely there's much if any wear on a parking brake drum!) it should go on just fine. (I haven't had the rear rotors off mine, so I don't know how finicky these are - I've done drum brakes many times, but it's been a while.

No the old one will not go back on no I did not disassemble the parking park I agree I think things just got knock around to one side, when I took the rotor of I adjusted the manual adjuster all the way in is there anymore adjustments spots I’m about 1/8 inch or so of the rotor slide on good but it seem something off like one of the brake pad is favor one side then the other thanks for the reply appreciated It

They should go back on with minimal effort. We did multiple removal/install when we were fitting Brembos to my car.

Here is a pic of what the park brake mechanism looks like so you can compare and see if maybe something is out of whack.

uAu9WuB.jpg

They should go back on with minimal effort. We did multiple removal/install when we were fitting Brembos to my car.

Here is a pic of what the park brake mechanism looks like so you can compare and see if maybe something is out of whack.

uAu9WuB.jpg

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but damn son! What happened to your splash shield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^lol, yeah, looks bad huh? Just trimming the rear splash shield lips to clear the bigger Brembo rear rotors and caliper.

OP, we pulled the rear rotors on and off a few times verifying clearances and it only took a bit of wiggling to get them on and off.

if you cannot fit the new rotor on and it is the correct one, you need to back off the star adjuster enough so that the rotor can slide over the parking brake assembly.. once you have the new rotor on, adjust the star wheel until the parking brake just starts to drag on the drum and then back off 1/4 turn

Honestly I don’t know It got late at night around 11ish so I put the wheel back on and roll the car back into the garage hit the e brake an few but didn’t see nothing happen “I think the e brake was on when I try to pull the rear router off” I made this post went to sleep woke up read some comments went in to the garage try the rotor didn’t work I push the e brake pad over an little bit try it agin it move enough we’re i could wiggle up and down all the way on it seem like at night when I would push the e brake it would spring back over but it stop doing that I’m kinda like what change ?