LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Since I'm without a car for this four day weekend (thank you school district!) rebuilding the trans, I decided to rent a slingshot! Figured since its gonna be beautiful - why not? I've rented them before - I love them. Wife and I seriously thinking of buying one - I'd use it as my daily!

Since I'm without a car for this four day weekend (thank you school district!) rebuilding the trans, I decided to rent a slingshot! Figured since its gonna be beautiful - why not? I've rented them before - I love them. Wife and I seriously thinking of buying one - I'd use it as my daily!

you're talking about the slingshot bikini right?:lol:

We went yesterday to look at the different Ascent trims and packages, and my wife, who despises leather seating, thinks she wants the limited with the ivory leather seating. She didn't want a moonroof/sunroof and now really likes that it is tinted and doesn't provide glare off the instruments, lol. So we put a deposit on a premium with black cloth, but I am pretty sure she wanted the abyss blue pearl in limited trim with option package 23.

Since this is likely the only new car we will be purchasing for the foreseeable eternity, and my wife rarely gets exactly what she wants, I have already lined up a local company to wrap the car in an orange color (her favorite color). And she still isn't quite sure why we are driving so far out of our way to buy this ascent. But a member of another Subaru group I am in is the Master tech at this dealer and has been helping me set up the wrap even bringing the color swatches yesterday so I could compare them in person. Gotta love the Subaru community.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 2 weeks later...
Another recall for us? Ignition switch apparently. # WUF-91 Apparently starts in May....
But only if the ignition switch has been replaced ever. It's the replacement part that is being recalled and affects only 500 cars.

I got the emission (SMOG) notice for the Legacy and I need to take it in before May 29. I'm recovering from a surgical extraction. May have to use the 24hr Kiosk for the first time and take it in in the middle of the night.

I have plans to work on my Benz this Saturday to do a wheel alignment on my friend Hunter HawkEye Elite and balance/install (2) tires for the front and may balance the rear tires.

Edited by amusa

Got so engrossed with the 5th gen I hadnt driven this one in a year!

Just finished overhauling the AC system today with a new evaporator, condenser, and expansion valve. Now chasing misfire codes, I really need a new laptop to replace my dead BMW diagnostics netbook. Which will be perfect to use for Subaru logging too!

ZwhMWk4.jpg

...May have to use the 24hr Kiosk for the first time and take it in in the middle of the night...

I used a Maryland VEIP kiosk after hours last year for my emissions inspection. Worked great and can’t beat not having to wait in line!

When we picked up our Ascent we got the dealer offered Gap coverage, I know I know, lol. My question is: Progressive offers loan/lease payoff that will cover 25% over ACV. For $5 a month seems reasonable I am going to call and talk to a claims rep tomorrow about it. Is there another option I should look at that would be a significant difference from the dealers $900 option.

When we picked up our Ascent we got the dealer offered Gap coverage, I know I know, lol. My question is: Progressive offers loan/lease payoff that will cover 25% over ACV. For $5 a month seems reasonable I am going to call and talk to a claims rep tomorrow about it. Is there another option I should look at that would be a significant difference from the dealers $900 option.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote but $5 x 60 = $300, I am not sure where $900 is coming from. Personally I skip those coverages as they expire usually between the 1st and 2nd year of the loan.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote but $5 x 60 = $300, I am not sure where $900 is coming from. Personally I skip those coverages as they expire usually between the 1st and 2nd year of the loan.
$900 purchased through the dealer, vs $5 a month through progressive added to our policy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Branching off here, but how do you like the Ascent? We will be returning our leased 2016 Crosstrek between now and September and my wife is very interested in them. We haul people around one day out of the week and she would like more room. I'm trying to veer her towards an Outback or Forester since 6 days out of the week, it's just the two of us.

FYI - apparently Rallysport Direct is having a sale on their Invidia exhausts.... only 2 left for their CBE Q300 ($704) an well as their Catted DP ($554).... free shipping too...

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/brand/invidia?trk_msg=92CEICUBTHNK1EJT8CKSHVFQ60&trk_contact=8OS495CTKNR8F0GIKO4KLRQCT4&trk_sid=TGJB4OH84KFSECP9NHO6OJS47C&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SHOP+NOW&utm_campaign=On+Sale+-+Invidia+Exhausts

Edited by islandborn

Branching off here, but how do you like the Ascent? We will be returning our leased 2016 Crosstrek between now and September and my wife is very interested in them. We haul people around one day out of the week and she would like more room. I'm trying to veer her towards an Outback or Forester since 6 days out of the week, it's just the two of us.

It is basically a bigger forester or taller outback. I will say with the 20" wheels the handling is phenomenal for its size, I took some offramps at 55-65 mph and it was solid, I had expected some body roll because of the reviews I had read but honestly I didn't feel any. And the seating position is really good for outward vision, that was my biggest take away. The low belt line really keeps visibility high.

When you have a chance give it a good test drive. And they are selling for under msrp by a small margin, but I am sure by the time you are ready to make a move the prices will be as good if not better.

For reference we were quoted as OTD pricing with 7.5% tax here:

Premium w package 12 $37.9K 12 is power gate, rear automatic braking, and pushbutton start/keyless.

Limited Base w opt 2 (IIRC) $40.5k What we went with. Package 14 is standard on the limited which includes package 12 and 20"wheels.

Limited w/package 21 and Opt2 $44.2K- 21 is sunroof, nav, and HK stereo.

FYI - apparently Rallysport Direct is having a sale on their Invidia exhausts.... only 2 left for their CBE Q300 ($704) an well as their Catted DP ($554).... free shipping too...

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/brand/invidia?trk_msg=92CEICUBTHNK1EJT8CKSHVFQ60&trk_contact=8OS495CTKNR8F0GIKO4KLRQCT4&trk_sid=TGJB4OH84KFSECP9NHO6OJS47C&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SHOP+NOW&utm_campaign=On+Sale+-+Invidia+Exhausts

I deleted their email so I wouldn't look at it and now this...:spin:

These shouldn't require any porting right?

Edited by coco26

Shouldn't, but I think there were one or two people who saw overboost with an Invidia catted downpipe in cold weather. Much less likely to have an issue with the catted version than with the catless, though.

^discussing with fahr_side, DP upgrade less likely to result in boost creep if paired with stock exhaust.

Stock midpipe should be adequate, it is in my case anyway. I have the Nameless Jpipe and intermediate pipe, stock midpipe and perrin axlebacks. No overboost.

It is basically a bigger forester or taller outback. I will say with the 20" wheels the handling is phenomenal for its size, I took some offramps at 55-65 mph and it was solid, I had expected some body roll because of the reviews I had read but honestly I didn't feel any. And the seating position is really good for outward vision, that was my biggest take away. The low belt line really keeps visibility high.

When you have a chance give it a good test drive. And they are selling for under msrp by a small margin, but I am sure by the time you are ready to make a move the prices will be as good if not better.

For reference we were quoted as OTD pricing with 7.5% tax here:

Premium w package 12 $37.9K 12 is power gate, rear automatic braking, and pushbutton start/keyless.

Limited Base w opt 2 (IIRC) $40.5k What we went with. Package 14 is standard on the limited which includes package 12 and 20"wheels.

Limited w/package 21 and Opt2 $44.2K- 21 is sunroof, nav, and HK stereo.

Thanks for the info. I watched TFLcar's comparison between the Ascent, Telluride, and Atlas. If you like their videos, it is a good watch.

Ok, I was looking up wheels and came across something I didn't know existed.

tsw-wheels-bristol-matte-black-rims-audiocityusa-07-3fa810ba06.jpg

Never knew Holden made a Commodore Wagon, makes sense though. Now that the new Commodore is a badge engineered Opel Insignia, the new wagon looks like a Buick with a Holden badge.

holden-commodore-holden-commodore-rs-v-sportwagon-in-absolute-red-colour.l-1237021860725.jpg

I have to share! Meanwhile at my house, my wife is going to give me an ulcer interrogating me about where her beautiful new car is! I am so glad I work the next few days. I don't know if I can take it!cdfec9cad75ef4c9eb83bd38f5142b36.jpg

I have to share! Meanwhile at my house, my wife is going to give me an ulcer interrogating me about where her beautiful new car is! I am so glad I work the next few days. I don't know if I can take it!cdfec9cad75ef4c9eb83bd38f5142b36.jpg

If Subaru gets wind of this they may end up offering that as a new color. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk