LegacyGT.com

Fluid change Question

So, during this great Corona quarantine, I'd like to address some of the fluids. What fluids should I be changing? Other than the obvious motor oil, and coolant. It would also be helpful to know intervals and brand I should be using. So far I've heard the transmission and differential should be changed every 60k. Then there's the power steering and brake fluid. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance! Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

I am an Amsoil guy all day, the stuff is not cheap, but it is quality. Other use different brands which is fine by me. Amsoil I quality and they stand behind their stuff. My 04 STI, 09 WRX, 08 2.5i Legacy, 06 OB 2.5i, 13 2.5i Legacy, and soon my 06 LGT will have Amsoil front to back. Yes that includes the coolant, and on our cars the power steering fluid. when I added the Synthetic fluid, I could turn the wheel with my pinky, no sh*tting you.

My daily is a 2010 Taurus SEL, with 46K miles, full Amsoil car. Never had one issues out of any of the cars.

Tranny and Diff fluids are 30,000 mile changes. Spark Plugs are 60,000 miles.

I'm also a Amsoil Fan. I use 5w-40 European Classic doing 7000 mile oil changes, based on the results from Blackstone Labs.

I use Motul Gear 300 in the tranny and diffs. But may go back to Amsoil Serve-gear based on ^.

Here's the service manual, you can check the recommend intervals.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Tranny and Diff fluids are 30,000 mile changes. Spark Plugs are 60,000 miles.

I'm also a Amsoil Fan. I use 5w-40 European Classic doing 7000 mile oil changes, based on the results from Blackstone Labs.

I use Motul Gear 300 in the tranny and diffs. But may go back to Amsoil Serve-gear based on ^.

Here's the service manual, you can check the recommend intervals.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

I also know many R35 GTR guys that run Amsoil also. They track them like crazy, and many of them run P800 kits.

How do you like Motul? I am going to run Sever gear, I can also get Motul.

I also know many R35 GTR guys that run Amsoil also. They track them like crazy, and many of them run P800 kits.

How do you like Motul? I am going to run Sever gear, I can also get Motul.

So, Amsoil and Motul are better choices than the Subaru brand?

Also, to change out these fluids, do you need syphoning hoses? Or, is it as easy as removing a plug, letting it drain then filling it up again?

So, Amsoil and Motul are better choices than the Subaru brand?

Also, to change out these fluids, do you need syphoning hoses? Or, is it as easy as removing a plug, letting it drain then filling it up again?

Oh, I see in that manual link where the fluid replacement diagrams are.. Thanks!

Make sure you remove the fill plug on the diff before you remove the drain plug. I learned that the hard way, I couldn't remove the fill once after draining a used rear diff. That I had just installed...

Don't bury the threads of the plugs, just sung them up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I went with Amsoil. Severe Gear 75w 90. 5 quarts total for the transmission and rear differential. It was their claims of cold weather performance that sold me. I'm also doing the power steering with Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle ATF. I looked at Motul, but they were $9 a quart more from Pegasus Racing near me. My brother has a hex socket he said that I need, and once the shipment arrives, I'll give it a go. Thanks again!

Oh, heads up, you never get all the old tranny fluid out. It's a PITA to get out what you can. Have to jack up both ends of the car at different times.

Fill it slowly, after about 2.5 qt's start checking the level. Good Luck.

Question: I checked the transmission fluid level today, and it was pretty much where it should be, but it looks really clean. Does this matter? Does it have to look like crusty used motor oil to be bad?

From what the P.O. said,(my bro) it was changed at 175,000 when the clutch was done. It's now got 230,000, meaning it was done about 55,000 miles ago.

The tranny fluid will/should stay clear if the tranny is in good shape. Mine is still clear some 20,000 miles later.

There's no combustion gases to deal with.

When my viscus coupling leaked its fluid the tranny fluid turned gray.

Edited by Max Capacity

Oh, heads up, you never get all the old tranny fluid out. It's a PITA to get out what you can. Have to jack up both ends of the car at different times.

Fill it slowly, after about 2.5 qt's start checking the level. Good Luck.

I'm going to try using a hand syphon pump from Harbor Freight. But, I don't expect to get everything.

Let us know how tha pump works out. Had to use one of those on my son's Audi S4 for the rear diff. What a PITA that was. Lucky he has a good supply of stuff, we were able to find a brass barbed elbow and cut different hose length's to fill the rear diff, not a whole lot of room under those cars.