LegacyGT.com

Bolt-on alternator upgrade?

My 1997 Legacy L seems to have trouble charging the battery with the a/c on full and the headlights turned on. At idle I'm getting down to 12.5 volts. The battery and alt have been tested and test good. I do plan to do a ground upgrade (that alone might solve the issue) but in case that doesn't work out, I wondered if there was a bolt-on alt upgrade for this car. It has the 2.2 single port engine. I plan to add a power-inverter so simply putting an overdrive pulley on the existing 85amp alt isn't going to cut it.

First check all of your grounds. When you have any electrical issue, that's where you start. On top of that, why not install an engine bay grounding kit. Your electrics will end up running much better because of it. Stock grounding is terrible.

First check all of your grounds. When you have any electrical issue, that's where you start. On top of that, why not install an engine bay grounding kit. Your electrics will end up running much better because of it. Stock grounding is terrible.

google "big 3 upgrade" and you should get alot of info on what wires to upgrade. If your wires are fine and you still need an alternator (with high output) check out http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou195ampsu.html . I have the 140 amp unit and its way overkill for my oem needs

I intended to clean up the factory grounds and add a 4 gauge wire between the batter + to alt, battery ground to body, battery ground to engine, engine to body. If that doesn't work I'll upgrade the alternator.

Any rebuild shop should be able to upgrade the amperage. There's a few shops in the Milwaukee area that rebuild alt, starters, electric motors etc. There should be one near you just google it or check your yellow pages. LOL. If you still even get them.

You can save some money and use welders cable as opposed to car audio cable. Better quality and cheaper. DC Power Engineering also makes alternators for Subies.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-output-alternators/hp-series-high-output-alternators.html?make=Subaru&model=Legacy&year=1996&engine=2.2L+H4

Here's one in my car.

P1000831(1).JPG.b99ec286a2fcdbeca063b385056940bb.JPG

P1000832(1).JPG.e09bc5cd8b616495a733e8e39bf03490.JPG

P1000833(1).JPG.afc85cc6a6a41fb474b18dc68e8bfbff.JPG

P1000834(1).JPG.682371dccf250b73720b347b14b13138.JPG

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Steven can you tell me what kind of intake you have/how to install? Also do you like the coilpack?

?Intake?

As far as the coil goes-There was no large difference. The small improvement will be credited to the new plugs and wires I did at the same time.

Cancer box, I don't know what it does. Perhaps it is some kind of resonator?

2nd question= I doubt it. Rarely do people re-design something to perform worse. Although I'm sure everyone can think of an example.

Yeah sorry I thought you had an aftermarket one Steven. I have a 98 2.2 and i have the giant box (apparently called cancer box). What does it do? Does a straight tube to the MAF sensor thing work better?

In theory the torquebox holds a reservoir of air ready to go into the throttle body the moment it opens. We know a vacuum is created on initial TB opening. Apparently the box helps alleviate that and in doing so increases torque and throttle response.

Where did you read that theory? Is that what Subaru says or are you guessing?

I removed all that crap from my L and even without telling my wife about it, she noticed better throttle response and better low-end power and asked what I had done to the car. That was the only change I made. Looking at this intake on the 96 LGT it looks even better then the intake I got of a 1st gen wagon at the yard. The entrance to the MAF is longer so the signal shouldn't be a choppy and I like the quick release clamps better than the screw-on box so I'll be swapping that out soon. I also removed that lower air resonator and will probably be making a lip for the box so it draws air only from the fender well and not any from the engine bay.

I got one off a 92 Legacy and the 96 LGT looks to be the best design. My 97 Wagon had the cancer box on it.

Not sure how Subaru thinks that box holds air in reserve when we have a planet and atmosphere full of air.

Archived