LegacyGT.com

Engine misfiring need help...

Looking for some advice/opinions on this issue...

Quick background: I own an 08 legacy gt with approx. 36000 miles. Purchased the gold plus extended warranty. Warranty is good until July 2014.

Roughly 6 months ago my check engine light came on while I was at a red light, took it to the dealer I bought it from right away. The CE light was as a result of all 4 cylinders misfiring. They reset the car and sent me on my way. They said something along the lines of "give us a call if the light comes on again". A few weeks go by and bang the light comes on again. Immediately call dealer who told me it would be a 5 day wait before I could setup and appointment. I told them to get lost seeing as they told me to seek them out if I had any issues...

Onto new dealer. Took the car in and they had the car for 7 days total. Same problem this time...misfiring in all 4 cylinders. They tell me that the problem is the oil control valve(s) and replace both of them. This repair was covered under warranty. I picked up the car, drove off and was happy to have it fixed...or not.

A couple days ago the CE light came on again. Dropped car off this morning. Guess what? All 4 cylinders are misfiring still. Service guy tells me that I need my valves adjusted and it costs $2500!!! I am flabbergasted on the phone. My warranty doesn't cover something related to my engine not operating properly? I told them not to touch the thing and that I would be down in the morning.

My question is what should I do now? I feel this should be a warranty repair. They supposedly "fixed" it 2 months ago. I have been driving around like this for months potentially damaging my engine? No? How do I know that this will even my fix the problem?

Appreciate your thoughts...thanks.

first thing: you need to get a written description of exactly what your warranty covers. play dumb if you have to and walk into the sales side asking for a brochure of extended warranties.

second thing: two months passed between the time you had the oil control valves replaced and the second time the light came back on? you need to find out what kind of guarantee they have on their work and if valve adjustments are considered "routine maintenance." most warranties dont cover routine stuff like that.

**i might be wrong but i think these engines have hydraulic zero-lash lifters which dont require adjustment. ever. they eventually wear out and are replaced. in which case, there blowin smoke up yer holes with the valve adjustment thing. can anybody confirm this for me? thanks!**

Generally, if you bring a car to a dealership for a certain problem and it returns for an identical problem after the first fix was attempted, the dealer is responsible to eat the labor cost AND parts cost to correctly fix the complaint. This is all dependant on how much time has passed and what kind of guarantee they have on their work.

I just got my car back from the dealer a couple of weeks ago after a CEL came on. Their diagnosis was that the valve lashes were too tight (no clearance) on all the exhaust valves. The engine was pulled and both heads were rebuilt under warranty.

I'd either go to another dealer or call SOA. Even though my repair was covered under warranty, I'm still pissed that something like that happened at 75K. Good luck.

Update...just spoke to dealer who told me the valves need adjustment and it is NOT a warranty repair. WTF? How could one person get it done under warranty and my gold plus be insufficient? Troubling...now to call SoA and fight this...

I find it hard to believe that it's the valves since you only have 36k, but I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting misfires so you never know.

After doing a lot of searching around on this forum, it seems that vacuum hoses popping off is somewhat common, and could cause a misfire on all 4 cylinders. Might be worth a shot to check your vacuum hoses, especially the ones under the intercooler and where they lead to.

His car is under warranty and if it's stock, he shouldn't have to do a damn thing. Either call SOA or take it to another dealer. I certainly wouldn't take it back to the same dealer because either way, I wouldn't trust them to do the job correctly.

I agree, he really shouldn't have to do anything and subaru should fix the problem under warranty.

But I also don't think it would hurt to poke around the engine bay a little and see if you notice a disconnected vacuum hose before you start a fight with SOA or the dealership.

If it was a vacuum line, the CEL light would come on much sooner than it did. Plus, there's a reason you pay for a warranty. It's so you don't have to **** around with this ****. I was this -><- close to pulling off my IC to see if there was a loose hose somewhere, but decided against it because I've got a warranty and it's cold outside. I guess I'm just old now and don't want to deal with these types of problems anymore.

Update...just spoke to dealer who told me the valves need adjustment and it is NOT a warranty repair. WTF? How could one person get it done under warranty and my gold plus be insufficient? Troubling...now to call SoA and fight this...

So this should be covered under your factory warranty from SOA. You car just turned 5 years old and your not even close to the millage in which the warranty would expire. I would diffidently call them. Though if any work on the motor was done not threw an authorized dealer then theoretically they can not honer the workmanship / void it and well then that would be how the warranty is trashed sadly. But yes your car should be covered, both Factory and The Gold.

side note: Was a service writer here in VT for 2 years for subaru till I got my own shop

Update: I spoke with someone from SoA earlier today. They offered to cover a whopping $400 of the $2500 repair. I am going to continue to fight this...I don't know how but I am going to. I feel like I am getting my ass handed to me, to no fault or doing of my own by Subaru.

When I hung up with the person on the phone I left it that I would email them my service records...which will probably get me nowhere. Pissed.

Appreciate your thoughts and help from everyone who has posted in this thread.

Next time the CEL come on take it a auto parts store, have them read the code for free and tell us the code.

What good is that Gold warranty, call the state attorney general yet ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update: picked my car up today seeing as this is sure to drag out for a little while. This is what my service invoice says:

"Found codes p0301, p0302, p0303, and p0304. Cylinders 1-4 misfire codes. Performed system check. Recommend valve adjustment. Cost $2550.00"

How can they tell valves need adjusting if they haven't physically looked? Seems like they have no idea what is truly wrong and are trying to stick it to me.

After looking through some of your other threads and posts on this forum I have some more questions..

In this thread, you mention you car making an odd noise when accelerating and jerking a bit at times. Did you ever figure out the cause of that?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-legacy-gt-potential-turbo-problemi-152484.html?t=152484

In this thread, I notice you mention having some 30k maintenance done. What exactly was replaced? Anything other than coolant? Were the spark plugs changed?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/30k-maintenance-coolant-specific-question-187974.html?t=187974

Are there any mods on your car? Has your car ever been tuned? What octane gas do you use?

After looking through some of your other threads and posts on this forum I have some more questions..

In this thread, you mention you car making an odd noise when accelerating and jerking a bit at times. Did you ever figure out the cause of that?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-legacy-gt-potential-turbo-problemi-152484.html?t=152484

In this thread, I notice you mention having some 30k maintenance done. What exactly was replaced? Anything other than coolant? Were the spark plugs changed?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/30k-maintenance-coolant-specific-question-187974.html?t=187974

Are there any mods on your car? Has your car ever been tuned? What octane gas do you use?

To answer your questions...the noise/jerking was the turbo/turbo lag...I'm new to turbo. 30k service I did a coolant flush, brake fluid, oil, filters. As far as I know the spark plugs don't need to be done until 60k~. If it was something like that wouldn't the dealer just let me know? Ha.

Car is full stock, wanted my warranty to be worth something, and I always use premium 93 octane gas.

As far as I know the spark plugs don't need to be done until 60k~. If it was something like that wouldn't the dealer just let me know? Ha.

I was thinkin that if you had an independent shop do your tune up, that they might've used the wrong plugs or maybe they aren't gapped properly. If you're still on oem plugs then we can rule that out. The dealer might've checked your plugs, but I've learned to never make assumptions.

I still think you have a loose or disconnected vacuum hose , or a possibly a loose clamp/air leak somewhere in your intake system. We'll see i guess.

Archived