LegacyGT.com

Control Arm Bushing Replacement - Was I ripped off?

I recently brought my car in for a service at the dealership and they told me that my bushings in my control arm were slightly cracked and needed replacement. The reason for this post is that on the invoice, the parts came out to a grand total of $24.68 for the two bushings but the labor was $360.50. This immediately caught my attention and of course raises the question of how such an inexpensive part (a bushing is a bushing... you just take the old one off and put the new one on...not much to them) could be so much to install. Was I ripped off? I believe the rate is $100/hr so does it really take 3+ hours to install/ do they even really need to be replaced if they are cracked? I need some closure....

The dealership in my neck of the woods was going to charge me 250 to JUST PRESS THEM. I had already removed the LCAs and brought them to the shop... Ended up taking them to a machine shop in town... $25 later they were in.

So, it's not fun, nor is it cheap.. but it's probably accurate.

BTW - Ended up being almost 8 hours of work for me to remove/replace the LCAs due to a broken pinch bolt.

When you realize what's involved in this job, no you were not ripped off.

If you would have taken the car to a repair shop instead of the dealership. You could have saved some money.

Oh yea, I hope you didn't use oem bushings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most shops will claim it's a 3 hour job.. at almost 100 dollars an hour (which the mech probably only gets 10), yeah.. labor WILL ALWAYS break the bank. Learn to do it yourself, save money. AVO makes an $80 dollar tool that you can use either a rubber mallet or a press with.. and once you replace them, you can sell the tool.

Archived