LegacyGT.com

Driver side switch broke - FIXED

MY window switch broke. It had no spring feeling and only went down or up when it felt like. On top of that, there was no midway - it only went completely down or completely up!

How did I fix it?

Reading the door panel instructions from HERE

And the switch assembly removal instructions from HERE

I removed the switch and found the broken plastic lever pin which works with the spring to bring the switch back to the neutral position after it is depressed.

I found an aluminum rod small enough to go into the hole with the switch and grind the end to make it round like the plastic pin was. Also made the part of the rod that would go into the spring slimmer so it would fit.

The result is not just a fix but better feeling switch!

here are some pix

1. The switch removed

2. Pry off those clips to remove the bezel

3. Bezel Removed

4 Switch removed. Had to pry it off just the same. Be careful. If you look on it (zoom in) you will see the spring still in it's socket. The pin goes into that.

5. The broken plunger/pin along with my metallic replacement part

I used some dry lube in the valley where the pin would sit. Also made the bottom of the pin as round and smooth as I could.

Hope that helped someone!

1541828299_20130528_181448(Medium).thumb.jpg.98b35dc1a0798a83d809de86db51273e.jpg

784559103_20130528_181512(Small).jpg.54af659cd83d755447b8f3d1db0bcb66.jpg

1648448976_20130528_181543(Medium).thumb.jpg.aef8f062da406d750abeaa8e56367ef8.jpg

968837260_20130528_183433(Medium).thumb.jpg.625f2ca352e803b75492990d745dcdf2.jpg

1875344463_20130528_190646(Medium).thumb.jpg.f0b10a7edbf273a1baca03acc01c25fe.jpg

For the users with the sticky button issue. Just do the same as above. It will fix it. Alternatively, u could sand down the plastic and add some (tiny amt) dry lubrication to it. Be careful as dry lube is graphite and can interfere with electronics.

I found an aluminum rod small enough to go into the hole with the switch and grind the end to make it round like the plastic pin was. Also made the part that goes into the spring slimmer so it would fit.

what'd you use?

• 1 year later...
I just took mine apart. Nothing was broke. Cleaned out the old grease. Made sure the spring / pin was moving freely. Added new grease. Nice and smooth now.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

• 1 month later...
i just took mine apart too, I didn't notice a spring inside where the rod goes but I put it back in and put the switch back together then tested it, it was all smooth for some reason. guess I got lucky or I happen to switch the contact points on that tiny rod and that was enough to make things better

• 10 months later...
So you HAVE to remove the door panel to get the switch out?

Yes. Switch panel screws and connector are only accessible from the inside of the door with the panel removed.

Removing the panel takes a few minutes, tops.

Got mine all apart and back together with a piece of welding rod. It feels perfect. But it doesnt work. All the other switches still work but not drivers side. There is a small white plastic rod in the bottom of the hole that slide fore and aft. Made sure the hook on the right side of the switch engaged that. Still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Damn it. Got a new switch. Plugged it in before install to check. Still doesnt work! Must mean my motor burned out at the same time. The button was definitely FUBARed...so maybe my repair did work and its the motor.

Can anyone advise how to check motor and regulator?

• 2 years later...

For anyone that needs a quick fix if their pin broke on their driver's window switch, I stole a pin from the passenger side window switch. I also put a small piece of thin, glossy cardboard(like a cereal box) at the bottom of the driver's switch where the pin contacts. Works like a charm.

No "auto" anymore and the front pass. side window doesn't work(should have taken the pin from the switch on the passenger door but oh well), but at least the driver's door works!

Also, my window was broke for a few weeks and I wondered if the motor burnt out as happened to a few guys. When I initially put it back together, I tried the window just with the key on and it moved ever so slightly and then nothing. I figured the motor would have to be bought. Later that evening I started the car to go some where and tried the switch again and the window works perfectly! Not sure why but I'm not complaining!

Archived