LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Audio/Video Clip Compilation Thread - 2.5i Edition

Depends on if the catback you're going for will have a smaller resonator still. If you still want that huge drone sound from the stock resonator, but it will be brought up with mufflers, then go for that. A full catback won't leave your car with a tinny almost rattling sound that stock exhausts have

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Noob alert here.

So I 2008 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition so its N/A. I want to make it a little louder and sound better pretty cheap. How could I accomplish this? I believe the inlet to the muffler is smaller than 2".

Do I just need something like this? http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11113

I love looking at cars, but I don't know much about modding them. Love my legacy and this is the final step for me to be fully satisfied with my setup for it.

If anyone who has knowledge upon this wants to PM me feel free I can give more details and stuff.

you can get just about any Legacy GT Catback exhaust for the car. But you're going to need to replace the header with an unequal length header to get that loud and deep rumble. A few years back someone made one for this car but I don't know if it's still around. Otherwise you aren't going to get that loud sound you want. It will just be a raspier version of your exhaust now.

you can get just about any Legacy GT Catback exhaust for the car. But you're going to need to replace the header with an unequal length header to get that loud and deep rumble. A few years back someone made one for this car but I don't know if it's still around. Otherwise you aren't going to get that loud sound you want. It will just be a raspier version of your exhaust now.

But that's full catback right? That's a lot more usually I'd imagine prior to the unequal length header.

I'm not talking fart can VTEC loud. Just a good rumble and stuff. Not rice.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

if you don't want fart can loud you need to find an unequal length header that was made for this car otherwise you won't get that rumble. You could do a UEL header + Axleback and get the rumble, but if you just added the axleback to how the car is now, I'm telling you it will sound like a fartcan.

Let me give you some sound and honest advice after looking up your profile, you're a kid and you just got your license right? This is your first car? Save your money for other things. You got a pretty sweet car for a first car that looks great, excellent on gas and it gets you from point a to point b right? Save your money that you could be spending on worthless modifications and use it towards going on road trips or late night food runs with your buddies. That girl you've been eyeing up in school that you want to take out, she won't give a **** if your car has a loud exhaust or a big ass subwoofer, she'll care about the fact you can take her places and the backseat if you're lucky.

When I was your age 10 years ago (I'm 27 now) my first car was a 1998 legacy GT, like you I had thought of all sorts of things I wanted to do to my car to impress kids at school, but I didn't. I saved my money and used to for gas for road trips and food runs with my friends and taking girls out. Just having your first car should be a cool feat in it self. After that car I bought the 09 2.5i brand new in 2009, spent whatever money I could to modify it aesthetically to look cool(er) and there was nothing more than I wanted to get than a faster car that I could actually modify and what not. 10 years later (this year) I finally did and it's awesome, and now that I've been driving for 10 years I can really appreciate owning and modifying my car. Just keep that in mind, it's your first car (and it's got pretty high mileage).

Edited by THE RZA

• 2 weeks later...
but if you just added the axleback to how the car is now, I'm telling you it will sound like a fartcan.

QUOTE]

Sorry but this is totally wrong. :lol: I have been running a pair of welded on Hung Li Cans on my 08 2.5i (basically axel back) for 3 years. My car sound very nice with a deep boxer rumble. Even at 7k it sound very nice. It was the best money I have spent. It was 48 bucks on amazon and 80 to weld on.

I added K & N panel filter and it is a bit deeper especially after 3k rpms. So many non-Subaru people ask me if it's a L-GT when they look in it at shows or hear me full throttle.

Now I tend to try many new things on my car that other think do not work. One thing is, you must keep all stock cats on the car and your sound will be very nice. Now this car will never be fast, but with the things I have added, I surprise the hell out of my people.

Edited by NORULZleggy

I find it a bit far fetched you have boxer rumble on a stock exhaust with an aftermarket axel back. Maybe your idle sounds a little deeper but no one has boxer rumble with a Equal length header, turbo cars included.

I find it a bit far fetched you have boxer rumble on a stock exhaust with an aftermarket axel back. Maybe your idle sounds a little deeper but no one has boxer rumble with a Equal length header, turbo cars included.

I am getting you a video clip and adding it to youtube tonight since it going to be 60 outside. :lol:

maybe you have some sort of "rumble" but it's probably not the well known "boxer rumble" If guys with LGT's, STI's and WRX's that upgrade to a EL header lose the rumble, all 2015+ WRX's with a EL Header don't have the rumble, I don't believe that a 2.5i with just an axleback has boxer rumble. Sorry, just don't. I had X02 axle backs on my 2.5i and they had a deeper and louder sound than stock, but it was no boxer rumble that's for sure. When I accellerated it just sounded like a louder version of stock too.

my exhaust sounded that way when it was cold out too. There's a video on the first page from when I had my 2.5i with the exhaust. That's sounds a little deeper than what I had, but it's still not boxer rumble.

This is boxer rumble (has UEL header):

and this:

This isn't:

Neither is this (My old car):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUYgJFZAyw

my exhaust sounded that way when it was cold out too. There's a video on the first page from when I had my 2.5i with the exhaust. That's sounds a little deeper than what I had, but it's still not boxer rumble.

This is boxer rumble (has UEL header):

and this:

This isn't:

Neither is this (My old car):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUYgJFZAyw

I hear the different now and see the difference in mufflers. I see those legacys have the XO2 mufflers. I have what people would call farts cans. there is a difference in sound between those muffler on your old car and my N1 style cans.

Also Mine produces much more sound then those two 2.5i video's. Also my can was not a cold start. It was 63 and the car had been driven 30 min prev to the start.

I do like the sound of the UEL header on that car.

lol the X02 Mufflers were pieces of shit. They were $200 mufflers that were the Ebay special. I didn't pay for mine I got them in a trade for some crappy springs. They looked nice the first year I had the car, you're supposed to treat them with high temp clear coat so they don't rust, well I didn't and after one snowy winter they were rusted to all hell

lol the X02 Mufflers were pieces of shit. They were $200 mufflers that were the Ebay special. I didn't pay for mine I got them in a trade for some crappy springs. They looked nice the first year I had the car, you're supposed to treat them with high temp clear coat so they don't rust, well I didn't and after one snowy winter they were rusted to all hell

lol Yeah mine have not rusted, but they had a cool burnt tip blue, but they look like something out of Mad Max now :lol:.

I spared no expense on my STI, next car I get will be the same. OEM part or nice aftermarket parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the exhaust in this week will install over this weekend and grab some sound clips. Once i confirm the fit (not that I'm worried) ill pull it off, scuff it and coat it with VHT 2000F matte black and possibly wrap it in DEI Titanium. I opted for the mild version but you can order it in full stainless or really any material you like. Inferno Fabrication were easy to deal with, shipped quickly and answered questions almost instantly.

Also note that this the prototype kit so any kit order after this will look much better, however this kit is as solid and exactly the same dimensions as the production kits.

First Impressions:

Its a great kit, nice TIG welds, thick flanges and comes with the donut gasket adapter. The V-band flange isn't the self locating style (with the tab around the inner lip) but it is stainless along with the clamp. The primary merge is masterfully crafted :) and the bends aren't so tight as to restrict flow.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssh5k5duh.jpeg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/IMG_0296_zpsqm7gf3ni.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/IMG_0284_zpsq5eztkxs.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/IMG_0295_zpskk5anlit.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/IMG_0287_zps1bnbcuay.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/IMG_0292_zpshbqbhjx0.jpg

Edited by GEE-OTTO

• 6 months later...
Does the 08 LGT catback bolt right up to the 08 Legacy 2.5i? I know this is an old thread, and I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Just wondering. I see and hear the clips, just wondering if those are direct bolt-ons, or was there fabrication required. Thank you.

Does the 08 LGT catback bolt right up to the 08 Legacy 2.5i? I know this is an old thread, and I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Just wondering. I see and hear the clips, just wondering if those are direct bolt-ons, or was there fabrication required. Thank you.

Direct bolt on:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yet another experiment on my 07:

Still have the GT header, this time got some JDM Legacy STI wagon mufflers which fit the US sedan bumper perfectly. This was recorded with an external mic and is quiet from inside the car. My setup is welded, so I'm not sure if they would bolt up directly to the Y. Only downside so far is a bit of vibration/reverberation/drone when decelerating at 1500 revs. This is supposedly because of the fact that they were designed for a twin turbo application, and there isn't enough exhaust pressure at these revs since it is NA. Not sure, but we'll see if it annoys me enough to swap them out.

Again, these are quiet apart from that but, and this is a recording from the outside on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...