LegacyGT.com

3.6R Water Pump Replacement?

I know with Subaru's other engines with timing belts, it doesn't hurt to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt service. On the 3.6R, there is obviously no timing belt so the access to the water pump isn't very convenient with service intervals. Would anybody happen to know the service interval for the water pump on a 3.6R? Tried looking everywhere, online, manual and nobody has the numbers.

How can you tell if they fail other than the obvious lack of cooling. They are enclosed inside the engine timing cover. Some water pumps leak when they need to be replaced, but this one would just leak into the engine oil right?

No magical mileage to change it out at. It's a crap load of work though. I would wait until I had to, then I would buy a jdm 3.6 and put that in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Isn't there no such thing as a JDM 3.6R? Or did they get the 3.6R in the Outback only?

Isn't there no such thing as a JDM 3.6R? Or did they get the 3.6R in the Outback only?

You might be right, I was thinking of the 3.0 h6.

In that case get a low mileage used engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

How can you tell if they fail other than the obvious lack of cooling. They are enclosed inside the engine timing cover. Some water pumps leak when they need to be replaced, but this one would just leak into the engine oil right?

typically they will leak at the bearing or at the gasket mating surfaces

internal failure typically results in NO pressure in the system or a overheat due to lack of coolant movement.

Archived