LegacyGT.com

Slow Turbo spooling and gas smell

Hi there guy!

I'm new to Subaru turbo games. I recently purchased a 05 legacy gt. After a couple of days I started having slow turbo spooling and strong gas smell. Buddy told me I may have a boost leak. So I checked all the lines at tighten them and zip tied them if needed.

So has anyone had this problem or can help me with this?

I think it might be the up pipe gasket that may be leaking. Reason is the gas smell comes from that location.

In the morning the car drives normal but as the day goes by the leak starts happening again.

It also has a 3in down pipe. Car is stage 2 pro tune. The up pipe is stock.

If you guys can help I would greatly appreciate it!!

Check what you think first !! Also did you do a boost leak test? Or just tighten up what you could see? Really need to do a proper test.

-Brian

Couldn't the catalytic convertor collect some gas, causing the smell? Especially if there is a leak in the gasket or connection making it smell worse than if it went all the way through the exhaust?

Thanks guys for your help guys... I'm getting headers and up pipe soon.. But for now I think I'm going to replace the gasket and see what sup..

It doesn't really need headers. Just get a catless up pipe, either an OEM one from something newer than 2006, or a shiny aftermarket one.

Hey guys I'm getting a sti acted up pipe from somebody in my town... Is it necessary to retune again or can I drive it like that.. I was looking at mine after I took it off and it dose not have anything inside the tube... Just ceramic all the way out.. If that a cat less up pipe?

Catless up pipe on the left, catted on the right, looking down the turbo flange:

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr221/Gcxrs05/STI%20Exhaust%20Manifold%20and%20up-pipe/IMG_4165.jpg

You shouldn't need to make any tuning changes with a catless up pipe vs catted. I'm still running the cobb off the shelf stage 2 maps with a turboXS catless up pipe and Invidia catted downpipe.

Archived