LegacyGT.com

91 Legacy fuel leaking into the cylinder

I had one fuel injector fail and the mechanic replaced it. ever since then if the car is parked for more than 30 minutes it has a long start and will idle ruff in drive when stopped. I have had it back two more times with no results from the mechanic. I then removed the spark plug and disconnected the fuel injector electrical connector. when I cranked over the engine several time fuel shot out of the cylinder. also found fuel in the oil when I changed it. Is this just an O ring problem or could there be other issues?

Obviously fuel will shoot out of the cylinder with the spark plug removed since the cylinder isn't burning any fuel. Anything the fuel injector sprays will naturally shoot out of the cylinder with the plug removed.

How did you test for fuel in the oil? How do you know its fuel? The reason I ask is because it might be coolant.

If it is fuel in the oil then the culprit would be piston rings. Worn or damaged rings will cause blow by. That means that when the piston is on the upstroke trying to compress the fuel/air charge the combustion gasses will slip by the piston rings and into the crankcase instead of being compressed. The only way to fix this situation would an entire engine rebuild.

Check all hose connections for leaks, especially around the fuel lines. Also check vacuum lines, the IAC, and all spark plugs and wires before you go replacing anything.

It could be that the mechanic was sold a faulty fuel injector. This would not, however, cause fuel to spray passed the rings into the crankcase.

I had the exact same problem

Make sure the injector is seated properly and that there are new o-rings fitted with the injectors in this order: small o-ring in the injector socket (on the fuel rail) at the bottom, plastic spacer on the injector base and large o-ring on the top of the injector itself

Push in, should seat proper the first time but do angle it towards the injector harness connector for whatever injector it is, then tighten both 8mm bolts as close to simultaneously as possible, two 8mm drivers works well

D

• 4 months later...

Archived