LegacyGT.com

Dual HVAC, Double Din, XM, Back up Camera Finally Finished

This is an old as hell topic, but this is almost exactly what I want to do.

I want a dual screen setup with the OEM NAV in the top screen (a full OEM transplant, but using the Kenwood/Garmin unit for the nav instead of the DVD based OEM setup), and an A/V setup in the lower screen.

My goal is to have the top screen be all-nav, all-the-time (and the other factory bits), and have the lower screen be for all audio use/bluetooth integration/etc. I won't use the navigation in the lower unit at all, but functionality and OEM look is extremely important.

I had a lead on an OEM screen/bezel not too long ago for not a ton of money but that kind of fell through. I want a complete take-out system, if possible, so I don't have to hack up wiring or anything and I can turn it mostly plug-and-play.

For the lower screen, I was thinking of the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT because it looks like it could be completely OEM and has Pandora Link (which is awesome), or the AVH-P3200BT because it also looks OEM (but lacks the Pandora Link interface, which I actually kind of want).

The X920BT would be awesome, but that's a lot of $$$ for a Nav headunit that I won't be using for navigation. I'm still trying to figure out if the X920BT's Pandora feature ONLY works with the iPhone, or if it will work with the Droid as well.

I think having both of the screens completely independent is the best way to go, though I would like to see if there was a way to have the Navigation dialog interrupt the audio from the lower headunit.

If the X920BT will work with a Droid, then that'll be the ideal setup for me. OEM looks with massive functionality. I think the whole setup would look great, sound good, and ultimately work really well. All without the headache of a CarPC. I do wonder how an aftermarket head unit would interface with the HK amp? It would probably work alright, I would think.

The only better setup would be if the top screen "MAP" button would bring up the Nav screen from the lower unit and still retain touch-screen use. Then I could completely forego the Kenwood/Garmin setup and have an all-in-one unit. Saddly, I don't know of a single aftermarket unit that allows the Nav system to be displayed on another screen, let alone one that would interface with the factory touch screen.

I'm sure you know by now but both Pioneer and Sony have decks that have the ability to work with the Droid. The problem for me seems to be that the "app" decks dont have F/R/Sub outs and all of the good stuff that a big system could use. Ill be starting my system in just bit

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
I guess I dont understand how he got the oem screen to mirror the HU screen. What does all that have to do with the HVAC and oem headunit?

Nothing to do with the HVAC I'm guessing. My aftermarket nav unit has a "Video Out", and you can set the OEM NAV screen to accept an input (do a search, it's on here somewhere). My bet is that's how he got both to show what the head unit is showing.

• 7 years later...

Probably many people have/will read this excellent thread and come away with the impression that it is possible and the desire to implement the "dual" screen view on their Legacy/Outback.

I to tried to do just that and I have bad news ... the current Pioneer head units no longer allow this kind of mirroring. They do have "Mirror" setting for the rear output but it is now limited to only video sources. That means that even navigation or rear view camera cannot be mirrored.