LegacyGT.com

NEED HELP ASAP (Cylinder 2 misfire driving me insane.)

Ok everyone I'm finally breaking down and asking for help. First off I'm a retired Tech, though not Subaru unfortunately. So I do know my way around an engine lol. I have a 05 lgt it was throwing random misfires on every cylinder. To date I have tested all coils replaced one that was bad with oem one. Replaced both oil control valves new one. Tested the map sensor it's fine. Did a smoke test and found tons of vacuum leaks. Replaced upper manifold o ring gaskets, throttle body gasket. Removed the turbo inlet pipe completely cleaned so I could check for damage it was fine. Also did same to throttle body hose it also was fine. Replaced all hard or damaged vacuum lines with new ones. Put everything back together. And no more vacuum leaks. Now I'm only getting a random cylinder 2 misfire. Most of the time it won't even throw a hard code it just goes into pending codes. I have swapped coils, injector, and even spark plug with cylinder 1 and 4. The misfire never followed. I have done a compression test on all 4 cylinders and all were within 3psi of each other. I then used a scope to look at the piston and cylinder walls of each cylinder and no damage to anything just some carbon buildup but not really much of it. Also checked shaft play on turbo and none at all. Also no oil residue in the intake tubes. There might be more I'm forgetting lol. I love this car but my wife is getting tired of me working on it and it still messing up. So if anyone can help me please do. Also I checked the gap on the plugs (which were the factory ones I'm sure) the gap was at least twice if not more than the .31 I carefully closed the gap to .3-.35 and have new ngk 7913 ordered and should be here next week. You can feel the rough idle and sometimes it is hard to start as it will just crank and crank. After I cycle the key a couple times it will start and idle rough. There are no exhaust leaks except for the connection right behind the muffler. Also the car only has 87000 original miles and is completely stock.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm that's an idea I haven't thought of I know all of the female connectors have the clip to hold it on still but not sure how tight the connection is. I also used the electrical grease on all of the ignition conne tion spots ie. Plugs, and spark plugs.

I was having similar issues. Chasing intermittent misfires that sometimes showed and sometimes didn't. One coil melted itself and the other needed to have the coil plug connector replaced. I did all 4 while I was at it. I think it was $18 off Amazon for 4 pigtails. Greasing the bad connector did not help at all, nor did replacing the coil. Really an odd issue but surprisingly common.

I just got pending codes for all 4 cylinder misfires. And a hard code for cylinder 2. Does anyone know if a faulty crank or can sensors could be causing this? Or what else other than the ecm could affect all 4 cylinders

Leaking intake manifold gaskets can do it. If this is it, more likely to be the four little rubber ones between the intake manifold and the TGVs.

Ok so I looked up the btssm and I think the vag com cable with the ssm app. But I have a few ?s first will any vag com cable work? And will the ssm app work with both my phone and laptop with win 10? And do I have to buy the app twice or just once and install it on both devices?

Ok I replaced both the crank and cam sensors and it still feels like there's a miss the cables are going to be here Mon so I can start logging and maybe with me posting the logs y'all can help me figure out where this miss is coming from. Also does anyone know of a good video or something that can help me figure out how to use the btssm software? I haven't found the best vids on YouTube.

Can you also pull an LV? This way, we can quickly see all of your four long term fuel trims.

I can see in almost all logs that #2 is misfiring. Not super high but consistently misfiring. If you've checked everything already (coil, injector, plug, cam sensor, intake orings), then now is the time to check valve clearances.

Archived