LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy gt engine rebuild

Hey all, I’ve got a 2005 legacy gt wagon, manual transmission.

The engine is on its last legs, and I will be buying a brand new short block for it. But, all of the other parts have 200k miles on them, and if I’m going to be replacing them anyways, I’d like to upgrade them and then get a pro tune.

So, my question is, what can I replace the stock parts with the make a bunch more power, while staying within the same price range as stock legacy gt parts.

I’m saying, would it be more cost effective to replace the stock legacy gt turbo with an STI turbo? Injectors? Etc?

Please do let me know what you guys would recommend. I’d like to make at least 300whp.

P.S., new member here, please don’t hurt me

Welcome to the Forum.

Here's the service manual. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

You can click on my "click here" link in my sig. Lots of info there.

Also check the stickys at the tops of the forums.

Did you order the engine gasket set for your year car ? you'll need that, you'll also need to order the half moon seals for the back of the heads.

Just get a vf52 turbo catless up pipe, 3" downpipe. I'm a big fan of Spec Clutches, the 2+ is what is recommended for these cars.

The vf52 will be fine on stock fueling. I have been there since Aug 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pretty much what Max said :). A new shortblock with a cat less UP and aftermarket DP, have your heads gone thru to ensure they are still up to spec, new timing belt and water pump, and a VF 52 turbo. You’ll be right around 300HP with good drivability and reliability. If you're feeling flush you can add larger injectors and a fuel pump, (and ideally swap over to the later top feed fuel rails, either OEM or fancy aftermarket) and this will allow your tuner to push a bit farther safely with your tune. Edited by shralp

Is your current motor knocking or just wore out? Like shralp said, have the heads gone through and make sure the valves get properly clearanced. If you have the knock knock, I can’t stress cleaning enough. The heads, avcs gears and oil cooler will hold a TON shavings. I’ve seen it twice where poor cleaning wiped out a brand new short block

Pretty much everything as above + I think I would recommend a bigger TMIC as the stock one will probably not support the added boost long term and for the price I would also recommend going with an upgraded fuel pump right away....especially if yours is the original with high millage, you want to make sure you have no fuel restrictions. The AEM340 or DW40 are drop in, plug & play and come with a new filter also and will support the mods you are looking for.

Be prepared to spend $$$ !!! LOL

This is my set up with forged internals....I don't think forged is a must but I got a good deal on it. Dyno gave 365hp/356tq and 282whp at 18psi, it moves!!!

EJ257 forged internals and STI crank

Stock heads fully refreshed

Stock injectors (fully refreshed and tested) & AEM340 pump.

TGV Deleted

Grimmspeed CAI

Grimmspeed 3 port Boost Controller (highly recommended)

AVO TMIC

VF52 turbo with ported wastegate

Bully Stage 4 clutch with Exedy LWFW

Catless Up Pipe

3" downpipe with highflow cat > 3" custom mid/y pipe > Prodrive mufflers