LegacyGT.com

My '99 Wagon

Thanks...

I keep trying to tell myself itll be worth it..

The good news is only a small portion is actually visible so it wont have to look that pretty for a repair.

Edited by ZMAN24250

Yep. I'll be pulling the trans out of my '76 Plymouth to take down to Hughes. It will probably cost about 3x what I paid for the car, but it will be worth it to me. People made your car. You can make it again.

Thankfully I live in AZ, so I don't expect to have rust problems in my 2nd gen. That's good because I hope to die of old age and be buried in it. I love that car.

Chaz, that's on the list of things to do as well! My stock warn trans wasnt very happy with the 408 I built for my duster. It died a few weeks after the motor build. Have to do a hemi rebuild on it but I found another trans for the time being. Also just bought an 8 3/4 for it... plus the intake leaks need fixed... and its detonating on premium so I gotta fix the compression ratio... I'm not short for work that's for sure haha.

Well, it was nice to actually start putting metal back in today... 8c61644b20820d42c4d6f68d625b886c.jpg

Edited by ZMAN24250

In is better than out.

I started with the 8 3/4 when I blew up the 7 1/4 on the stock engine. The trans has been on the way out since I got the car years ago and it finally lost the front clutch. I'm doing the engine last. Know anywhere to get a log style intake for an LA engine? Never seen one, but really want one.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of a log intake for one.... or for any classic v8 for that matter... Why do you want one?

Driver side outer sheet metal stitched back in. Needs a little shaping yet.

Bondo and paint makes me the bodyman I ain't... 815bd36251b4cff5c9287b6975cc89b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Long time no update! Got a lot going on as well as this rust bucket. Photo update!

DyYe1KY.jpg

bXJHFoy.jpg?1

xpBUm4Q.jpg

sOuFuPt.jpg?1

SwiYL1J.jpg

uWqjMS2.jpg

Rust repair on the drivers side is done! Just in time for me to put the car back on the ground and pack everything up to move house!

Also, the hood, fenders, bumpers and rear spoiler are off to paint so eventually those will come back. In the mean time, its nice to get to drive around my turbo wagon again :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Once again for the second time!

OnxQvfQ.jpg?1

I feel like I've been here before....

R5C6vZv.jpg?1

The good news is this side seems to be going quicker now that I know what to do. Also the new shop has heat so it's a significantly nicer space to work in.

• 11 months later...

Long time, no update again. I got very distracted and had to shuffle priorities to build a grassroots motorsports car. (see Fiero below)

hvLTS1Q.jpg

ALL THE KNOWN RUST REPAIR IS COMPLETED!

There is a lot more than what is pictured below but I thought Id show the highlights.

Passenger side strut tower

uigjeT5.jpg?1

Rear Passenger quarter panel (yes, there is real steel behind that filler)

nToiWRC.jpg?1

Rear driver rocker

UbysP9W.jpg?1

Front Passenger rockers

5V3HLUx.jpg?1

Lc0yTx6.jpg?1

UbysP9W.jpg?1

Edited by ZMAN24250
details

In addition to removing the cancer, I have coated EVERY nook and cranny I can with fluid film. Rust now. I dare you.

Now its time to prep for paint!

Roof rails off

a1WhmiN.jpg?1

Rear lights removed and usdm badge holes filled

jUQIgzw.jpg?1

I had to drop the headliner to grab the spinning rivnuts so I put some sound deadener in while I was there. Same for the rear hatch.

baf6ZnD.jpg?1

Next is to remove the door handles, side trim, and mirrors. Ill be putting more sound deadener in there as well.

I also did a stealth amp install under the driver seat in preparation for the sub install. Ill post pictures of that once Im done with the full install.

And now to start a lot of sanding....

Does anyone know where to find a set of JDM side trim for the doors (circled in picture)? The USDM ones are bulky and the slimmer JDM ones look much better. I've tried searching the internet to find some but haven't any luck. Im hoping someone here may know a gettin' spot.

oLOztpc.jpg

Also, if anyone knows where to find GT side skirts and bumper trim, that would also help!

• 10 months later...

Follow up, does anyone here have any turbo suggestions? The EJ205 i have just has a td04 on it and, as is typically complained, it kind of runs out of steam at higher rpm. I dont want to make tones of power but I want it to carry more, maybe make a little more power. It has to get tuned anyway from it being a JDM motor so I might as well do any mods before tuning. If I could get 250hp to the wheels I think I'd be happy.

My current thoughts right now are:

• Get a billet compressor wheel and port the housings
  • TD05-16G
  • VF39
    • I think this will make the motor be too "peaky" and I wont like it.

I know there are tones of threads out there I've been trying to read through but if anyone has some opinions, id be interested in hearing them.

Edit: Turns out its not a TD04 but actually a TF035HM

Edited by ZMAN24250

• 3 weeks later...

Update time. 

Car is together enough to drive. Holy cow I've missed this car... and holy cow is it suspiciously fast. I dont think it really feels fast but you do a 3 gear pull and suddenly youre doing 80... I cant wait till its totally back together.

For the turbo update, turns out I have a TF035HM... from the best I have worked out these only came on JDM automatic Foresters and its the half step smaller than the TD04-13G seen in USDM WRX's. It hauls pretty good too.. like full boost at 2400rpm in 3rd gear. I may just leave it as is. Car seems to be running good too, doesnt seem to be knocking or running funny. Only issues it seems to have is a CEL for the TGV valves which dont exist.

Car is more back together. I am missing a trim piece for my spoiler that is halting total reassembly. Not sure what to do about that....

U8Wcns3.jpg

Wired up side marker lights:

gLj91wC.jpg

Added the JDM grab bars:

8jGIz4c.jpg

Lastly, I added step lights to the door cards. I cant find a write up on how to wire them in properly so I spent this evening diving into wire diagrams and poking around the wire harness and I have it figured out. So, spoiler, I am going to post a write up on how to wire them in to function properly since I cant find an existing one.

• Like 2

Step lights now installed and wired up!

https://www.legacygt.com/topic/138551-door-step-light-install/

DyyjEij.jpg

While I was in the doors I also finally installed the crossovers for the JL speakers.

Also, Momo woodgrain! 🤤

xXvmRzw.jpg

Next up I have a few other interior pieces as well as stereo things to add but I think first im just going to drive it for a while and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Good unintended score at the boneyard this weekend.

GT interior and side skirts. They seem to be cleaning up pretty good.

Pp0iV5I.jpg

Im starting to think it may have just been easier/cheaper to buy a rust free GT to begin with..  But you know, sunk costs and such..

Edited by ZMAN24250
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...