LegacyGT.com

Squeaky front seat - 2019 Legacy Sport

Normal occurrence? My seat squeaks and it’s annoying.

I’m a big guy. 6’-4” at 260lb, but not had a vehicle with a nice squeak like this before and have weighed far more than I do currently.

If it’s something others have encountered, what did you do to combat or fix the issue?

The seat squeak is a known issue in some current-generation Legacys and Outbacks, and Subaru has issued TSB 12-253-18 to address it. If they can duplicate the squeak, your dealer can replace the seat frame under warranty. The bad news is that the new seat frame doesn't always result in a permanent fix.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The seat squeak is a known issue in some current-generation Legacys and Outbacks, and Subaru has issued TSB 12-253-18 to address it. If they can duplicate the squeak, your dealer can replace the seat frame under warranty. The bad news is that the new seat frame doesn't always result in a permanent fix.

Any word on what causes the squeak? Anyone work on a 3rd party fix?

I owned a 2006 Nissan Titan about 11yrs ago, leaf springs squeaked and a little spray from a wd40 type fixed my issue.

Any word on what causes the squeak?

There's an extensive thread on this subject over on the Outback forum. Apparently the problem is four Teflon bushings that are pressed into the seat frame during manufacture. It looks like the bushed joints are poorly engineered, because the bushings sometimes fail in normal use, allowing metal-to-metal contact that causes the squeak. Unfortunately, those bushings are not engineered to be field-replaceable.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

There's an extensive thread on this subject over on the Outback forum. Apparently the problem is four Teflon bushings that are pressed into the seat frame during manufacture. It looks like the bushed joints are poorly engineered, because the bushings sometimes fail in normal use, allowing metal-to-metal contact that causes the squeak. Unfortunately, the bushings are not engineered to be field-replaceable.

Just read through that thread...sounds like a nightmare. Of course lube does nothing...and it looks like in 5 years they couldn't find a fix. Wife went for the extended warranty on her 2019 OB Limited. I didn't...and hate that I feel regret over it because stupid stuff like this shouldn't be an issue.

Got $11k trade in on a paid off truck...prob won't get $11k upside if I traded this in, though I owe less than $14k on it. We will see where I'm at with 36k miles and the warranty goes out.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it only do it when your wife is in the passenger seat? lol...

I think he is suggesting the seat is fine, but you may need a new wife. Check your warranty restrictions on that before talking to her about it, as replacement can be a difficult process and most do not have access to a loaner while this is being performed.

• 6 months later...
My '16 legacy 2.5i premium had a squeak in the front pax seat that was driving me crazy. It would only happen sometimes, sometimes with no pax in seat when I drove over a bump. Dealer mechanic had me sit in it. I rocked a bunch to make it squeak, he said he knew exactly what it was. Took it in back, took him 5 mins to tighten a spring located in the seatback, hasn't squeaked yet. Didn't charge me any extra since I was already there for an oil change. (it'll be interesting to see now that I'm outside my 3 year warranty if they are still as nice.)

Mine's doing this too and I've not made it a priority to figure out why. Now I don't have to, which is why I really enjoy this forum, thanks! I'll have it done with the fuel pump recall when that's formally announced.