LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

What a day!

About 1130 - Replaced low beam bulbs with Sylvania XtraVision H7s

About 1145 - Washed it. Washed it good!

About 1300 - Departed for PIA

About 1815 - Departed PIA with a Dynotune (249 HP / 280 TRQ) :icon_bigg and a new MAF sensor. :(

About 1816 - Checked in at BTC for an alignment. Right front needs a bigger camber bolt thing...

SC

Edited by Smithcraft

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

BF171-B19-AC5-E-4-ED7-B235-EE236479-CE71.jpg

Test fit the NT03+M’s in the front tonight. Good news is they clear the Wilwood BBK!! It’s a known fact that they do NOT clear Brembos without a 10mm spacer, but thanks to the compact Wilwoods, I don’t need to spend another $100 on extended studs and spacers.

For those wondering why there are two tire valve stems, it’s so you can fill/release air on one while monitoring pressure using the other to get faster and more accurate readings.

Definitely will need to run a tad bit more camber along with a front fender pull though to fit them on with tires. The Federal RSRRs in 245/35R18 are on their way and I got an appointment setup for the fender pull. Next after this is a proper performance alignment with the new tires.

Also need to smog the car this week so the next 7 days should be fun. Tuesday I’ll probably get the stock downpipe and uppipe back on and cross my fingers the stock tune will pass. I’m just worried that the Vf52 will overboost and run too lean while they do the smog test...

Back about five decades ago when Ferrari hand-built cars, they quite often turned out to be asymmetrical. Ferrari's response to someone mentioning this was, "Nobody looks at both side of the car at the same time."

I guess whenever people ask me why I have two different wheels, I’ll say I took a page out of the old Ferrari handbook. :lol:

Edited by Notorious

Well, technically done yesterday, but got my car tuned for a VF37 on 91 w/ 18 PSI target, 90 degree weather.

Results (DynoCom):

HP: 286 @ 4950

TQ: 321 @ 4400

Asked for a conservative tune, satisfied with the results. Maybe I'll go for more after a rebuild (high-mileage motor).

Current Mods:

2007 Legacy GT

2004.5 STI transmission

Cobb AP3

VF37, OEM EL headers, TR catless downpipe

Cobb 1050x Fuel Injectors

AEM Fuel Pump

Mach V Boost Controller

Borla Cat-back

GFB BPV

Walked out of work to a flat tire earlier. Figured I was driving over to my dad's to grab a backup wheel setup, but I called a well known local tire shop just to see if they could fit it in. I was on my way within 45 min for $25 including a small tip. Spinos tires, A+

I think I have the same Willwood setup - yeah, they don't use the entire rotor, and had some issue with squeal, but overall, still way better than stock, IMHO.

For the CNT downpipe, make sure you have a super-compact 14mm crescent or ratchet setup, and/or a 14mm crow's foot. The stud/nut closest to the passenger side is a real PITA. I have both stubby crescent and crow's foot.. Thankfully, I only have to swap it once every 2 years for SMOG...

This! 2015 STI rack with poly bushings, rear toe/camber arms, and every single rear bushing. Both rear upper control arm inner bushings were completely separated from the barrels after I moved the motor from my parts car in the wagon, squeaking up a storm. Night and day difference in handling!

Springs were a test fit of 08-14 WRX on the 05-09 LGT - looks like I'm going to be making some thin spacers for the lower perches, they looser than I'd like on Konis with the car off the ground.

20190531_210501.thumb.jpg.34acf7f8b21ef47c12fc280f449c99b4.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

A lot of what some people feel is "warped rotors" is actually variations in the deposition of brake material from the pads to the rotor. The brakes work by friction between the pad and deposited pad material on the rotor, that is why you have a bedding-in process where you start from low speeds and brake gently but only down to about 20 mph the first ten times or so.

If it feels like that is the problem, take a light bit of material off with fine sandpaper and repeat the bedding-in process. If there isn't a procedure on the instruction sheet for the pads, start with light application of brakes from 40 mph down to twenty, the light application so the material deposits evenly. Progress to higher speeds and braking down to 10 mph after that then your brakes are ready and should not be uneven.

If there is still a problem, make sure you have applied the high-temperature brake pad lube without it getting one the pad faces and make sure you have cleaned the sliding surfaces properly if you are reusing the old stainless sliders on the caliper.

You can sand them off or turn them off. I prefer to rebed them, usually at night. There's nothing like seeing hot metal bits fly past the window :eek:

Stoptech has a faq about bedding in correctly.

Not today but over the weekend, replaced both of the front inner CV boots. Went the route of leaving the axles in the car still and overall was pretty easy other than trying to get the axle together. Would have been a lot easier with a second set of hands but oh wells.

Also have been talking with a guy to potentially trade wheels with. For some reason I want to try to run 10 inch wide on my car when I already have 9.5 inch haha

FYI, Walmart sells it for $19 and some change for a gallon and the rebate still qualifies at Walmart I believe. Autozone also stocks it and you can price match Walmart.

Uh oh....someone put the wheel on the wrong side. :rolleyes:

Hate it when that happens, will take all day to get it on the right side again.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Tried getting my car California smog ready tonight but ultimately failed because it took me so damn long to get a simple bolt from the heat shield off. I was too stubborn to remove the FMIC piping because it was a pain to route it next to the stock airbox.

Tomorrow morning I need some nuts and bolts that I wasn’t able to find from two years ago which was the last time it was smogged. Also waiting on new gaskets all around and a new turbo blanket for when I put it all back together. Hopefully will be able to smog it tomorrow afternoon and pass the first time. Fingers crossed. :spin:

I grabbed the Amazon Rotella deal, thanks JmP. It will be $18 shipped and taxed to my door (there is value in it sitting at my door and not chasing it all over town). I run it in all 3 vehicles and the mower.

Picked up the set of freshly turned rotors for my brembo swap this morning, I was recommended this place and it ended up a guy I used to work with works there. They gave me a cash deal, $50 to turn all 4 rotors, it just took a couple weeks since I won't be installing them until july when I get them powdercoated.

So I dropped of my new to me rear upper control arms to have the bushings pushed out and the whitelines installed. Love cheap cash deals!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

upgraded the stock rsb with a Cusco 21mm with AVO reinforcements brackets. Amazed at the how much better turn-in feels.

If you were running with stock rsb this far then yes, the change is very noticeable. IIRC the first mod I did on my wagon.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Yea, I'm not sure why I waited so long to do it. Had I known how much better it was I definitely would have bumped it up the priority list.

Also ordered a PLX AFR gauge and single gauge vent pod. Amazon currently has a 5% off coupon for PLX devices which was nice.

Had a nice road & ferry trip to pickup a turbo & heads from Kalien32. Can't have enough turbos or heads.

In class project: take apart an EJ25, measure the parts, and put it back together. Checked the necessary tools. It's about a double handful...the monster toolbox I have seems like a waste of space now.

My last attempt at this was just replacing the HG and took 5 years with multiple people. This time, it's 2 people and we have 3 days. Granted it doesn't run now and doesn't have to run when we're done, but still an interesting exercise.