LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

I don't think I've really posted about it, but I've been on some more spoiler adventures and I'm nearing the end of my search. Here's Wangan SPL 3rd Gen Spoiler + SYMS Carbon lip. I also have an ER34 spoiler that I have to figure out if I like more or less than the Wangan spoiler, but it started raining literally 30 seconds after I took these pics, so I didn't have a chance to test fit that one (this isn't my car, this is a friend of mine who still has a spoiler-less trunk).

4pHjy4x.jpg

JYpKbU2.jpg

uAxrwaX.jpg

Wangan Spoiler compared to ER34 spoiler.

bxsfsiy.jpg

Swapping out the nuts on the strut bolts now. You can tell the crimp opened up. They acted like standard nuts. No wonder they backed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the alignment shop guy told me I need the washers with the tab to get it aligned correctly. I do not remember those when I took everything apart. Are those washers needed with the KYB donors?

68d5e71b0192093d861d83344e9180c6.jpg

Stock:

92358ca4de13cc4caa22b8be048cc255.jpg

Edited by Falcor

Cool to see the Koni poking out a bit [emoji1303]

61eda3737d4f8addcd674ade900ddbdc.jpg

Did you not use the rubber sleeve that goes at the top of the insert? I can't see any yellow from the sides, even with the strut disassembled... picture below is taken from the Koni thread, but mine look just like this.

1d4e4d46f31dc5ffa503149f9a11e2b0.thumb.jpg.a21d34d406834c9179ac1fb418bf23b8.jpg

So, the alignment shop guy told me I need the washers with the tab to get it aligned correctly. I do not remember those when I took everything apart. Are those washers needed with the KYB donors?

I've never heard of tabbed washers in our front suspension. I think there may have been some in the rear (toe arms maybe?), but they shouldn't need to be replaced.

The factory ones don't have them. You have a ball buster doing your alignment.

They said he used to work at Subaru. Hard to believe he can't get the alignment correct and blames it on a tabbed washer that it never had. :confused:

I used the rubber covers on the donor struts. Maybe I cut the struts a bit lower than yours.
Could be (I am guessing not, though - it's 7mm or so above the bumps on the insert) - did you use the 1453s? that would give a little more extension (raise the shock boot up) than the 1447's. Also - I have the Koni rubber boot with the lip up against the top of the insert (that's what they did in the picture, too) so the boot is maybe half on the donor body and half on the insert.

yeah, said outer's seized on the inner, can't get it to adjust. i'll get it in the air and see what i can do, but sounds like i'm probably going to need to cut them off, so hooray for buying an angle grinder.

yeah, said outer's seized on the inner, can't get it to adjust. i'll get it in the air and see what i can do, but sounds like i'm probably going to need to cut them off, so hooray for buying an angle grinder.

Quote from the mechanic the last time I got an alignment: "I couldn't get your tie rods to move until they were cherry red and I was hanging on them, so you might want to get those replaced soon."

i'm probably going to need to cut them off, so hooray for buying an angle grinder.

I bought an angle grinder years ago, I ended up using mine a lot more than I ever expect. I wore brushes out mine I used it so much and had buy a new one this year. One my more useful tools.

Quote from the mechanic the last time I got an alignment: "I couldn't get your tie rods to move until they were cherry red and I was hanging on them, so you might want to get those replaced soon."

yeah, he said he was beating on em for an hour, torch, penetrating oil, the usual, nothing getting it unstuck, so...is what it is.

I bought an angle grinder years ago, I ended up using mine a lot more than I ever expect. I wore brushes out mine I used it so much and had buy a new one this year. One my more useful tools.

yeah, i bought a house a little over a year ago, so i've now got a shed that i can use to actually store stuff, been buying all the tools since and i'm loving it...no more having to keep everything stored in a 26" tool chest, and being a PITA to move apartment to apartment every other year

• 3 weeks later...

Got the oil changed yesterday. This is the first time I’ve had someone else change the oil in my car in years. We have the oil changed on my wife’s leases because I don’t own them and they will be returned. I had to explane the Fumoto valve to the guy which scared me.

All went well though. We had some oil change certificates from a fundraiser we need to use up and since we are moving i’m not driving 2 hrs for an oil change. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safety and Emissions Insp. Renewed registration. Paid annual VA property tax, and submitted high mileage waiver so I can hopefully get some of that back. Needs a wash and interior detail so hopefully this weekend. Also need to get the car seat base installed just in case. I've only put about 3k miles in the past year, so an oil change coming up just 'cause.

Spent last evening changing plugs out. Ran a compression test as well. Good to know the numbers are same as two years ago and within variation. Guess I'll keep the car a bit longer :). Although I think the turbo is getting tired at 135K.

Also installed an ebay branded steering lockdown dampener. Probably the easiest install I had so far with this car. I did it from the top, took about 30min to do.

I've only put about 3k miles in the past year, so an oil change coming up just 'cause.

This got me wondering so I just checked and it's been 6,500 for mine. At this rate I'll stay under 10k for the year. Sign of the times. :)

This got me wondering so I just checked and it's been 6,500 for mine. At this rate I'll stay under 10k for the year. Sign of the times. :)

For this year, I am at 700 miles for my '12 GT, 5,500 for '09 Outback, 150 on the '11 GT I sold and 0 on my Syclone. 2016, 2017, 2018 I was averaging almost 25k miles between my cars.