LegacyGT.com

Need new engine..Ej20X vs Ej255

Hello all,

So I am a bit lost...is the EJ20X 2.0L Turbo more reliable than the 2.5 T? I been reading some older posts but I am still lost. Is it true that the EJ20X is less likely to blow a head-gasket vs the EJ55? I have the 05 GT, I got a quote for $1,800 including labor, engine, and warranty. 55-60K miles on the engine, and compression test reads 155 in each cylinder.

Thank you.

There is a post above in this forum about this same thought.

Me, I like to keep things simple, get a new OEM ej257, have your heads rebuilt, install ARP head studs and be happy. I have over 106,000 miles on my ej257. See my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There is a post above in this forum about this same thought.

Me, I like to keep things simple, get a new OEM ej257, have your heads rebuilt, install ARP head studs and be happy. I have over 106,000 miles on my ej257. See my click here link.

Thanks for the response. I am on a tight budget, so the ej20 is probably going to be what I am going to go for.

Thing is I got denied on a personal loan since:

1- I am a cosigner on my moms car which has a balance of >15K

2- I have my auto loan of $3,700

3- I do not make enough monthly

So now I can not sell the car nor can I fix it...been a week and it has been collecting dust sitting on my driveway. I start it every other day to just keep the battery alive and all that stuff.

Thing is I got denied on a personal loan since:

1- I am a cosigner on my moms car which has a balance of >15K

2- I have my auto loan of $3,700

3- I do not make enough monthly

So now I can not sell the car nor can I fix it...been a week and it has been collecting dust sitting on my driveway. I start it every other day to just keep the battery alive and all that stuff.

Putting an odd engine in, just because it is cheaper is not going to fix your financial problems. In fact, it is only going to make matters worse because it won't be cheaper in the long run if you're paying a shop to install it, and even more if you pay them to actually do it right (which most shops likely won't do unless they have done them before or have the time and patience to research the proper way to do it). Plus it isn't going to be done in short order.

If you wanted something a little easier to swap that should work correctly as long as you used some legacy parts I'd look at the early to mid 2000s single avcs JDM WRX motors.

In your position I'd suggest taking the money you want to spend on a cheap engine and buy a cheap spare car that you can drive until there are funds to fix the legacy properly.

Looking at your original thread, you bought a car with a recently replaced turbo to replaced turbo that was blown. The previously blown turbo very likely ruined your motor. You will need a new turbo and oil cooler in addition to the EJ20X swap. It seem like your in CA, so you will need to use the US ECM and you will need to have that ECM tuned or that motor isn't going to last very long either.

Personally I would get another cheap reliable car and either save your money up to fix this one right or cut your losses and sell it.

I know I may be a little late to chime in but I love my ej20x.. it was a pretty easy swap and from what I hear, they outlive any udsm205 or 255..

That is what I heard too, that they do last longer..so am confused though, do I need a different ecu for the X or will it work with my existing one?

That is what I heard too, that they do last longer..so am confused though, do I need a different ecu for the X or will it work with my existing one?

If you want it to run right you're going to need a JDM ECU to control the exhaust cam timing. Not sure how running one would affect smog checks, that is outside of my area of expertise.

If you want the engine to live you WILL need to get the car tuned. The EJ20X and 20Y have higher compression and it WILL knock regardless of what ECU is used. Ignoring knock is a great way to cost yourself another engine.

If you want it to run right you're going to need a JDM ECU to control the exhaust cam timing. Not sure how running one would affect smog checks, that is outside of my area of expertise.

If you want the engine to live you WILL need to get the car tuned. The EJ20X and 20Y have higher compression and it WILL knock regardless of what ECU is used. Ignoring knock is a great way to cost yourself another engine.

EJ20 motor it is then :lol:

The JDM ECU will not pass a smog check in CA.

Archived