LegacyGT.com

Parking brake recall for 6MT Legacy/Outback models

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did your dealer have parts available? The dealers I've spoken with that are local to me are saying early Nov.

I didn't call yet. I was going to wait a little bit so the mechanics got a few under their belt before bringing my GT in.

Norm, they haven't sent out notifications to owners because they don't have the parts to start fixing the issue. I believe early November is when they're expecting the parts

Thanks, Zee. I'll keep my eye out for some sort of official communication.

Meanwhile, I'm going to see what I can find out in the service manual for some idea of what's going to be involved.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, but for some reason I didn't get a notice of your reply.

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue all the time in my 2010 - it’s somewhat sporadic though -does it make sense that it would come and go? Or once it fails it’s toast for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds more like an intermittent electrical connection than a popped capacitor, those don't typically do anything other than stink once you let the smoke out. I guess it's possible, depending on what that capacitor is doing (smoothing out power vs. smoothing out a signal), but I don't know that it would be the first place I'd look.

It's possible that there are some parking brake actuators available, but that SoA is replacing them on a fix-as-fails basis until they get enough on-hand inventory to cover the full recall population. If it bothers you enough, you could probably call up your dealer or SoA and say that you're having issues and saw the recall notice, see if they offer to sneak you in early.

Mine came and went for awhile. Then inspection time came and it was time. It could be caps.

I wonder if they plan on rebuilding them. I have my original so maybe they will do an exchange. I guess it depends on what actually goes bad.

They are going to have to cover automatics as well as it is a safety item and required at inspection in many states.

• 2 weeks later...

Received official recall letter from SOA today. It is an interim notice stating that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent when parts are ready and install appointment should be made. Letter also includes instructions for getting reimbursement if you’ve already had it fixed!

EDIT: photo of letter added to first post

Edited by NVAKeith
Upload success

Received mine as well. Curious when the updated parts will be available! I wonder if there will be a larger recall covering everyone since it's the same part irrespective of the transmission in the car... and an expensive one ($604) at that!

One would hope, or at least maybe they'd be willing to cover the replacement of a failed part on an auto as a goodwill thing. If having it not function is enough to fail a safety inspection in some states, though, I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until they get pushed into doing something.

Got my letter yesterday, too.

• 2 weeks later...

What has been everyone's experience that have actually encountered the issue? The recall letter says to park your vehicle ASAP and contact your dealer.

Well lucky for us, our 2014 Outback's BRAKE light started blinking last night while driving (63k miles). We called one of our local dealers and they didn't know if it's safe to drive. Then we called Subaru of America and they read the recall notice word for word and implied that it's safe to drive. I'm still not confident in that answer.

I don't know if the parking brake system can fail in an engaged or partially engaged state, resulting in the rear drum in hat brake constantly in friction and heating up, or if it defaults to a fully disengaged state. Even if it's safe to drive, it's going to be very annoying and distracting to drive this vehicle with a blinking BRAKE light for the next 6 months (I know I can put electrical tape over the light...). This is not safe for folks in hilly or mountainous regions that often park on grades the need to utilize both parking and gear and applying the parking brake to stay in place...

We also have a 2013 Legacy 6MT (54k miles) to worry about when the BRAKE light will start blinking...

Not sure how cold it is by you right now, but a couple years ago, my fluid level was low enough due to pad wear that if it was below 15*F when I started the car, the light would come on (solid). Warmer than that was fine, though, the low temperature caused just enough fluid shrinkage to trip the light.

• 2 months later...

The EPB parking brake issue is real. It must be an intermittent electrical problem, not something like a capacitor burning up. It happened to me once in 2014, then not again that I know of, but then, I always leave my 2011 Outback in gear when parked now.

My garage slopes slightly, so that if the parking brake is not engaged, my Outback will immediately begin creeping backward once I have stopped. In 2014, I parked the Outback in my garage, engaged the EPB, then got out to check my mail. Walked out to the street, got the mail, then on the way back to the house, the Outback starts rolling out. I couldn't stop it, opened the door but got thrown to the ground before it rolled across the street and hit my neighbor's car.

This always puzzled me, Did I hit the EPB button twice by mistake, disengaging it? Did I not engage it at all? I tried those theories. The EPB does not disengage if you just hit it twice. And my Outback will begin rolling out of the garage immediately if the EPB is not engaged - I can't even get out of the car. It is impossible that it can just sit there for a minute, then start rolling. Insurance covered the $8000 damage to my neighbor's car, but not the $2000 for my car. (An Outback can beat up a Honda any day!)

So, last November I got the EPB recall notice. Mystery solved. Contacted my dealer, made an appointment, they looked up the EPB notice said they had parts, I showed up. I had to explain the EPB problem to the guy and show him the recall notice. Then he tells me they do NOT have parts - and what am I doing there? Like this is my fault. I told him about the accident, and he recommended I call Subaru of America. They might reimburse me for my repairs, they are not like other companies, he said. I do that, SOA sends me an EPB letter with instructions for a claim (posted early in this thread) and so I send them original receipts and an explanation how this happened. Two months later a simple denial from SOA. Like I thought, a waste of my time. And still no parts? They must have known about this for a long time. I like the Outback, but no more Subarus for me. No, I do not want a discount on a new one.

OK, I've vented. Again, the EPB problem is real. Thanks for listening.

How did the Outback roll if it was in gear? I've forgotten to set my epb a few times but the car never rolled not on any kind of incline until I pressed the clutch in.

The issue may turn out to be an intermittent manufacturing process problem with the electronics, its hard to say at this point only a few people have had definite failures, but usually the brake module failed when the brake was engaged.

Of course, it was not in gear then. I've always had manual transmissions and used the hand brake - never a need to also put it in gear unless on a steep incline. I'm sure I had engaged the EPB when the accident happened, and it apparently held the Outback for about a minute, then disengaged. The vehicle will not stay in place for even a few seconds if the brake is not set (or it's in gear.) I've asked SOA for a detailed explanation of the problem, but I just got the vague statement that the EPB may fail. I had hoped Subaru would want to look at my Outback as one known to have the problem, but now I think they have known exactly what the cause is for a while. It's very rare that it happens, but when it does, you better have it in gear or be on level ground. We'll have to see if they ever get parts - my insurance agent thinks they may be hoping the issue fades away after time. Edited by Austin20

I hate the dang electronic parking brake. the only thing is good for is the hill start assist which i almost never use and when i do its strictly for the novelty of it. I once had an issue with my parking brake where it wouldn't release, I'd have to power through the parking brake to get it to break free, while it was under warranty, Subaru does nothing "we couldn't recreate the issue" they say. next time it happens I call them, "hey my parking brake is stuck again can you send a tech to come look at it?", at the time i lived well under a 1/4 mile from the dealer. "no, no, we can't do that the techs aren't insured outside of the building"... "ok how about a sales guy come to verify, i know they work outside the building i've been on test drives with them" "no they wouldn't know.." "they couldn't tell if a parking brake is stuck?" "no they would..." "so whats the problem?" long story short i had to wait until I couldn't get it unstuck and had to have it towed down the street, and contact SOA to get it fixed because when they pulled it onto the flat bed it broke the wheels frees. as much as i love the cars dealing with the Subaru as a whole has been a major pain in my ass and this may well be the last one i own even if i do keep it forever.