LegacyGT.com

p0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 CEL

hey guys, i got a code this morning and by lunch my car didn't start.

so i changed the sensor, which was totally not in the right place from my research? (just to gather some information so others can look) i attached a picture of where it should have been. it should he on the drivers side front of the valve cover.

but on my car it is on the driver side on the rear of the valve cover? is that weird?

so i changed it and i still get the error, of all the diagrams and threads i only see there is 1 sensor? could i be wrong on that also?

i have a feeling the crank sensor might be bad too. since i am not sure where else to go with trouble shooting. i need some advice. as far as i can tell, there is only 1 crank sensor and 1 cam sensor?

i got no other errors.

2005 legacy gt limited.

any advice?

MANIFOLD.thumb.jpg.8b4c1c87690fe3b3b070d874e2398b55.jpg

okay, update on my progress...

i found a 2011 picture and there seems to be 4 sensors? i think it might be due to the acvs thingy.

attached picture looks like there are 4 similar parts with that number. look for the blue highlighted number.

now, if my motor is similar to this one then i have 3 more of these sensors that i need to check. the only one that i could find was the one highlighted. but i think that is why, cause the opposite one is probably angled down on the bottom of the engine?

i am hoping to see if i can figure this out soon. i hate my car being down.

so if i follow the numerology of this picture, my error code is the sensor in the passenger side lower sensor is no good. i am going to try to look for it. if i find it... i will try to change it and report back.

22056AA260eBay.jpg.6bc2a8ee0b8b0185188a756c683ca4bf.jpg

oh woohoo...

okay, i found another sensor and just changed that one. no more CEL and no more hesitation and stalling.

now to describe the problem more, i would reset the computer (cold engine). drive for about say, 15 minutes. and the car woudl stutter and stall. CEL would come on and doesn't restart.

after waiting about 10 minutes. it would start up again. now, if i reset the ecu, the problem stalling comes back sooner. if i don't reset, i can still drive. but when i drive above 3k, it stutters only.

the sensor i changed for my CEL code was the passenger side top sensor. so basically intake cam position sensor. this sensor is right on the top of the cylinder, but not on the valve cover. it is very close to the valve cover though. it is held in by 1 x 10mm bolt and the sensor actually goes into the head. like embedded. it also has a silver plug, for the car side. the sensor on my car is all plastic and black.

i was able to remove the sensor easily with out removing anything but a near by connector and the connector on the sensor. i used a swivel 10mm socket, and a long thin extension.

if you guys have same problem, hope this helps you guys out. if i get time, i want to try and replace all the sensors, if again i have 4 total.

*edit

so i found a legacy block and took some more pictures.

looks like there is actually 4 cam sensor positions. the bottom ones are just not threaded? but alas, that completes the sensors.

take a look at the new pictures for reference.

48581853_T2eC16Z!)YFIb5UtpL5BSQP5Un8kg60_57.thumb.jpg.822b534684b3448c02b765fb3f1e1c15.jpg

20131017_101733.thumb.jpg.4cbfee86371bf6cca68d0b6a0e72ea65.jpg

20131017_101742.thumb.jpg.7637f9650ea2fc1b477c4cd1a66f694c.jpg

20131017_102456.thumb.jpg.242362ee50ef14c1d9eb1f376ced45cc.jpg

20131017_102419.thumb.jpg.98fef48f2508463512ac0988d670c1e7.jpg

20131017_102441.thumb.jpg.38756d7017bc45685aaab03483651ce0.jpg

• 8 months later...

My car is still down, ordered part I thought I needed from Subaru which was cam sensor harness they ordered cam sensor. After I explained on the phone several times I only need HARNESS paid 130 part came in today but of course was not harness only sensor.

So they did refund money but still no go, harness has to be ordered for whole engine not only in parts!!!!

I'm not paying 373 for harness for one small part so i need help getting part I need.

I didn't read the whole thread.

do you have a connector issue ? NAPA can order connectors, just replace it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

NAPA and I'd guess other parts stores have a catalog of connectors. I need the temp sending connector for my 86 Ford F150, I called NAPA in the morning, they had it for me on my way home from work.

I did look it up on NAPA parts on line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got the other side code, at least that is what i am thinking it is.

going to order another sensor and try replacing it. man, i should have replaced both while i was in there... i assume this shoudl be the driver side code error. as i changed the passenger side earlier in this thread.

summary:

code popped up when the engine stalled after going into neutral driving city streets. i slowly popped the clutch and engine started up again. made it home with out another incident.

engine code p0335

i will give the update after i change out my second sensor. last time i think this problem degreaded to a non working car within 2 days? so i am hoping i can atleast go and get the sensor... : )

you know, i don't have a sensor in that location...

my car has 2 sensors same like post #3 on the top side near the back of the block...

P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit

I believe its item D in post 1 picture

EDIT***

holy... i totally misread the engine code description...

but hey, i changed the other CAM SHAFT sensor and my car is running again?

looks like i need to order a CRANK sensor this week also... i will have to get on that...

thanks for the clarity...

In my click here link look at the last picture in post 33, that's the crankshaft sensor behind the pulley.

yea, i just edited my last post... my brain and my eyes/fingers saw 2 different things... i saw crank shaft, but i thought cam shaft...

just to be clear... it is the red one not the green circle right?

just so funny cause i changed the other side cam sensor and the car is back up and running...

DSCN4714.thumb.jpg.1a637b35e7bfd626e7ea092ada4688fb.jpg

• 1 year later...
I am getting the P0366 code in my '98 legacy GT. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor and did not notice any rubbing on the harness. I got this after I replaced the fuel pump and tried to start my car. There is no start and if it does start it runs very rough for about 30 sec then dies. Any help is greatly appreciated I really need this car back on the road.

I guess you mean P0336 as I can't find a P0366 in the listing of CEL on this site.

Remove the connector and make its clean and reinstall it.

Thanks guys you were right on the P0336 code i miss typed that. After I took it to a mechanic which is not what i wanted to do because of cost, it turns out the guy before me replaced the timing belt and forgot to tighten a bolt. Long story short it fell out and got into the belt. It destroyed one of the teeth on the pulley that the sensor detects. The car is back on the road and runs great.

This was a helpful post, but if I may, add to it a little bit just to summarize because I have to admit while reading this thread, I too got confused with you on the cam/crank wording.. For my 2005 legacy gt

The part number I needed was (22056)AA140 CAMshaft sensor which throws p0340. There are two. Notice for CRANKshaft, that part is 22053, there are also two, it throws p0336. And for summarization purposes bank A is passenger side, B is drivers side. Thanks for allowing me to Impead just a bit. ;)

image.thumb.png.0ba40ade450a3ee4dc7c4c69eeed61f4.png

• 2 years later...

Hey just wondering if replacing the cam angle sensors fixed your problem? I'm having the same issue with my LGT, drives fine for about half hour then wont start and after about 10 mins will start but runs rough. I've bench tested both left and right sensors and they are pulling about 5v and activating normally. I have checked timing and its spot on. I have recently replaced turbo internals, intake pipe and all vacuum, breather and cooling hoses with silicone hoses. If anyone can point me in the right direction of a fix or thread that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Archived