LegacyGT.com

hey guys, i was wondering about a motor swap in a 1999 legacy gt.

I blew the stock EJ25 motor and i was wondering if an EJ20T swap would be a good route to go... I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has done a swap like this and/or knows about it, if so could you please help me out :)

Also, would i have to buy a new tranny or could i use the stock ej25:confused: tranny

• I Donated
i was wondering if an EJ20T swap would be a good route to go... I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has done a swap like this and/or knows about it, if so could you please help me out

Read this thread

Second Generation Legacy Turbo FAQ

There is no such engine as the "EJ20T". I assume you mean a 2.0L turbo engine. There are several different variations of the 2.0L turbo enigne.

List of 2.0L turbo engines:

2.0L Single Turbo

-EJ20G JDM 93-96 STI, WRX 92-96

-EJ20K JDM 97-99 STI

-EJ205 JDM 99-01 WRX Wagon, 01-11 WRX, USDM 02-05 WRX

-EJ207 JDM 98-11 STI

2.0L Twin Turbo

-EJ20H JDM 93-98 Legacy

-EJ20R JDM 96-98 Legacy

-EJ206 JDM 98-03 Legacy

-EJ208 JDM 98-03 Legacy

Read the link above. Its a sticky about turbo swaps that I made with all the information you will ever need about doing a swap. Your transmission questions are answered in that thread as well.

And yes, it has been done. I have an EJ20R in my Legacy with a stand alone ECU. v3 JDM STI 5 speed transmission, and loads of mods. Its a dependable daily driver.

There is a Legacy Turbo sticky with lots of info in it up above.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious! lol. At least someone pays attention

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Just out of curiosity, how much did the EJ20R swap run you?

How much would it run me to get a EJ205 swap?

Also where can i read up on the Subaru engines, which is open deck or not and what is the difference between short block and long block and which is which.

ok fair enough. What about short block vs long block. Im looking for a WRX/STI block to slowly build and i keep seeing on CL short blocks that have been swapped for long blocks.

What is that all about ?

• I Donated

short block = block, crank, rods, and pistons

long block = short block + heads, intake, etc.

A "dressed" longblock is a complete engine with all the accessories (wiring, alternator, ac compressor, ps pump, etc)

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

short block = block, crank, rods, and pistons

long block = short block + heads, intake, etc.

A "dressed" longblock is a complete engine with all the accessories (wiring, alternator, ac compressor, ps pump, etc)

ha ha who said there were no stupid questions. lol

Thank you for cleaning that up.

Still interested in a swap cost.

I was looking at this,

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/pts/2361803586.html

Thinking about rebuilding it and going from there.

• I Donated

Be prepared to spend about 5k if you do it yourself. 10k if you have someone do it for you

Sent from my Android Powered HD2 using Tapatalk

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I'm sorry If you are asking all these questions I would suggest not doing it. I mean someone who doesn't know what a shortblock vs longblock is, should learn a little more about motors with someone who knows before going head first into a project like this. Just my two pennies. I have been putting together a binder full of info for my future swap and i'm not ready. I also have worked on cars a little too much for it not being my job. I've pulled more motors and trannys than I can remember but I have yet to start my project. Just sayin.

• I Donated

I agree, but disagree at the same time. I could do nearly anything on a car before I knew all the proper terms. That may be the point where this guy is at....who knows.

If you're an amature, It might be a good thing to dive into a project like this. However you NEED to have someone with you by your side through the whole project that knows anything and everything about what they are doing. It can be an excellent learning experience. I learned about cars by just jumping into big projects with someone who was more experienced and it worked out pretty good for me. If you can't get help, then don't do it because you will have a car sitting in you're garage for a few years that doesn't get any progress before you decide to sell it as a "project car" on craigslist.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived