LegacyGT.com

What's your opinion...

Hi all, I've got a 2017 Legacy Sport with just under 34k.

I took in last month to get the 30k service(probably didn't need most of what they did)and afterward they tried to sell me a bunch of service and even went as far as to say it was pretty important to get this all done sooner rather than later. I was in shock that a 2 year old car needed so much(I don't believe it does).

What they recommended...

New EGR Valve

Air induction service(throttle body cleaning)

Drain and fill both Diffs.

This all would come out to several hundred dollars to do. I didn't do it.

My question is, there's no way a two year old vehicle needs this stuff, right?

I'm going to check this stuff out when it gets warmer and I'll do it myself if needed.

I guess my point is, there's no way this is needed this early, and I'm curious what you all think.

On top of that, I have no trust in the dealer anymore to do the right thing.

Thanks,

Marc

I guess my point is, there's no way this is needed this early, and I'm curious what you all think.

Any preventive maintenance beyond what is specified in the Subaru Warranty & Maintenance Guide you should have received with your Legacy is unnecessary. (See https://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=226470&d=1457854507.) At this point, I would be looking for a more ethical dealer.

new EGR valve? tell them that is warranty work

Yep ... as would be throttle body cleaning (if that were even actually needed), since both are emissions related.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the replies and confirming what I thought.

I had no intentions of doing the service... Just want to make sure I wasn't crazy. There's no way all of that needs to be done. The service adviser was really trying to hit a home run on me. Would have been better off trying to get me to do one.

It's just really disappointing because that dealer was convenient for oil changes and they have a really nice and comfortable waiting area.

It's just really disappointing because that dealer was convenient for oil changes and they have a really nice and comfortable waiting area.

If you were otherwise satisfied with the quality of your service experience, you might try to have a heart-to-heart talk with the Service Manager ... along the lines of, "If you want to keep my business, don't ever again try to upsell me with unnecessary preventive maintenance work!" If he/she won't agree to that, walk.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If you were otherwise satisfied with the quality of your service experience, you might try to have a heart-to-heart talk with the Service Manager ... along the lines of, "If you want to keep my business, don't ever again try to upsell me with unnecessary preventive maintenance work!"

You know, you're absolutely right. As I was reading your response I was thinking no, forget them, but you make sense. I like going there and it's easy for me, so I think I will do exactly what you suggest.

Archived