LegacyGT.com

CVT different feeling or just me

This is my first CVT. Several years ago I was very close to buying a Rogue until I heard of their problems with their CVT. My mechanic friend says he never sees Subbie CVT's so I went with it.

I'm not saying what I feel is good or bad --- just different. Starting from a dead stop it kind of feels like a rubber band that is twisted and then the energy is released. Sometimes I propel faster than other times.

Overall I like it, the feeling seems smooth and going up a hill without any feeling of shifting is a new experience.

Am I correct in the rubber band feeling, is it just me or is it this particular car? I have not yet used the shifting paddles.

"The Lineartronic system that is in all Subaru CVT systems is made with extremely durable pulleys and a metal chain belt, meaning less maintenance than other CVT systems on the market. As well, it's the quietest on the market."

https://www.adventuresubaru.com/blog/2013/march/5/subarus-cvt-or-continuous-variable-transmission.htm

At my latest service there was a software upgrade that actually improved the gearbox feeling so it's less rubber band feeling.

But I definitely prefer the CVT over an ordinary auto gearbox even before the software upgrade.

453747.png

I still don't trust a CVT for long term durability. But what really puzzles me is why Subaru built in a phony "shift" and paddles. Why complicate a transmission by trying to make it feel like a conventional automatic?
To give the feeling of a standard auto transmission. Individuals was complaining about the feel so Subaru added simulated fixed positions with manual paddles to handle the complaints.

If you drive conservatively or should I say responsibly without a heavy Right foot you will never feel the shift positions and in turn be rewarded with great MPGs.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

What year was that for and model?

At my latest service there was a software upgrade that actually improved the gearbox feeling so it's less rubber band feeling.

But I definitely prefer the CVT over an ordinary auto gearbox even before the software upgrade.

We've had 6 brand new Subarus since October 2013, and can tell you that all of them felt different from each other. We've had a 2014 Crosstrek, 2015 Impreza, 2015 Legacy 2.5, 2016 Forester XT, 2018 Crosstrek and 2018 Legacy 2.5. Each CVT felt different from each other. Comparing my 2015 Legacy to my current one, the CVT feels slightly smoother and refined. The 2014 Crosstrek BY FAR was the most "rubber-bandy" feeling.

Just drive your car and accept the nuances of owning a Subaru. It's not perfect, but nothing is. You'll find things that you like better and worse than previous cars. You'll either grow to accept the Subaru way of life or you won't. I grew to accept it, over a few years, and I even had problems with a few of the 6. But because I am treated well by SOA and my dealership, and I love the marketing behind Subaru, I decided to stay.

Best of luck to you and we're here to chat about questions or concerns.

No no I wasn't saying good or bad about it. I was only asking if anyone else felt the difference.

This is the 5th subbie in my life and I always get accustomed to the subbie way of life.

We've had 6 brand new Subarus since October 2013, and can tell you that all of them felt different from each other. We've had a 2014 Crosstrek, 2015 Impreza, 2015 Legacy 2.5, 2016 Forester XT, 2018 Crosstrek and 2018 Legacy 2.5. Each CVT felt different from each other. Comparing my 2015 Legacy to my current one, the CVT feels slightly smoother and refined. The 2014 Crosstrek BY FAR was the most "rubber-bandy" feeling.

Just drive your car and accept the nuances of owning a Subaru. It's not perfect, but nothing is. You'll find things that you like better and worse than previous cars. You'll either grow to accept the Subaru way of life or you won't. I grew to accept it, over a few years, and I even had problems with a few of the 6. But because I am treated well by SOA and my dealership, and I love the marketing behind Subaru, I decided to stay.

Best of luck to you and we're here to chat about questions or concerns.

Our 2018 feels fine to me. Under heavy acceleration it seems to act pretty much like a regular transmission with simulated shifts. Not sure I'd even know it was a CVT if I didn't know already. It's not an issue for me as long as there's no rubber bandiness and I haven't really noticed much of that in this car. I am impressed with the mileage so far as well. This isn't a small car and 28.5 mpg over 500 miles of highway and rural roads with lots of hills on regular gas is a good story. I'll take it.

Taking the car on a small trip this weekend, 90 miles one way with a lot of highway. Although the trip is around the Balto / DC area and #695 will probably back up like crazy so it will throw a curve ball to my mileage on the highway. My lifetime average on the screen says 23.3. I can't say what type of driving was done by the previous owner. Combined 28.5 is great!

Our 2018 feels fine to me. Under heavy acceleration it seems to act pretty much like a regular transmission with simulated shifts. Not sure I'd even know it was a CVT if I didn't know already. It's not an issue for me as long as there's no rubber bandiness and I haven't really noticed much of that in this car. I am impressed with the mileage so far as well. This isn't a small car and 28.5 mpg over 500 miles of highway and rural roads with lots of hills on regular gas is a good story. I'll take it.

I find that if you roll into the throttle instead of just flooring it, the cvt responds much better...

It must be a the way Subaru programs their transmissions. I think every automatic Subaru I have driven behaves like that. 4EATs, 5EATS and the CVT.

I have a 2010 Legacy with the CVT, pushing 199,000 miles currently and have had no issues with the transmission aside from the Extended Warranty they issued for the Torque Converter. Aside from the Torque Converter, the car and transmission has been solid. For a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, the car has pretty decent acceleration, has ample power for passing on the highway, etc.

As for other's comments about the Shift Paddles and their useful/uselessness, I do enjoy having the Manual Mode available for when I am merging onto the highway from a complete stop (Local Parkway has stop signs at the end of the entrance ramps, forcing you to accelerate into highway speed traffic from a complete stop). Manual Mode allows the transmission to hold the gears a little longer, helping with acceleration.

Something people just don't seem to get, the CVT shift points aren't simulated, the shift isn't simulated. The CVT shifts from one ratio to another, period. No, it doesn't shift "gears", obviously there aren't any. But when an auto or manual shifts from one gear to another its changing the ratio, such is the same the CVT is doing. Simulated shifts is a misnomer and I'd like to think folks here are smarter than that.

As said above to feel these shift points you stand on the throttle. Drive with a mild feel on the peddle and there are no shift points, just smooth "variable" transition.

As far as paddles, these are provided to allow the driver to control the ratio should the need arise. Like this weekend when I was driving in the mountains. Because there was a way to manually control the CVT I could downshift while going down hill instead of over heating the brakes.

Simple common sense folks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Simulated shifts is a misnomer ...

It's a distinction without a difference. Would you prefer "simulated discrete shifts" or "simulated shift feel?"

Sadly, most people neither know nor care how any transmission works, much less a CVT. They just want it to "feel" the way they expect it to feel, whether that expectation is technically reasonable or not.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Mine sure beats the Hell out of 6sp. Autos that can't make up their mind what 'Gear' to be in when downshifting... I get no whiplash out of my CVT when passing... Just 1 downshift is enough... :)

My 17' Honda Accord V6 6sp. Auto was the worst transmission I ever had... The best geared Auto I ever had was a BMW Steptronic...

It's a distinction without a difference. Would you prefer "simulated discrete shifts" or "simulated shift feel?"

Sadly, most people neither know nor care how any transmission works, much less a CVT. They just want it to "feel" the way they expect it to feel, whether that expectation is technically reasonable or not.

How I feel about what people expect to feel is irrelevant. There's nothing simulated, it's a legitimate ratio shift. Calling it simulated is an error.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's nothing simulated, it's a legitimate ratio shift. Calling it simulated is an error.

It's the stepwise behavior that is simulated. Native CVT behavior is smooth and continuous ratio modulation.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I would actually be happy to choose turning off the "shift points" for normal driving.

(Would probably drive like an electric). ;-)

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Archived