LegacyGT.com

2010 legacy gt shimmy/shake on hoghway

Hello all, I’m really hoping I can find someone here that has had this issue and has found a way to fix it... so I have a 2010 legacy gt and with in the last few months I have noticed a shake, shimmy at highway speeds. My first guess on a fix was tires out of balance... switched outa the wheels and all and it’s still there... second was brakes and rotors... switched them out still the same... is it possible for weak lower control arms to cause this?? Appreciate want help! Sick of this shake

i recently went through this, wheel would start to shake from ~65-80mph or so, no real shake when it was lower than that, but got progressively worse the faster i went. Got the alignment checked and wheels balanced but that didn't help. Ended up being a weak, but not totally dead, ball joint. The boot wasn't ripped or anything, not moving a bunch when using a pry bar to check play, looked decent. one of my control arm bushing was deadskies, so tossed on a new set of front control arms and it was fixed. when i got the passenger side ball joint off it was quite loose in its socket, so i'm assuming that was the issue there. Edited by creep_nu

if you do the work yourself, replacing the control arms is easy and inexpensive. i went with mevotech supremes, and including a ball joint puller, cost less than $200 and a couple hours of my time. DEFINITELY get the ball joint puller, i tried using one of the ball joint presses you can rent from autozone or wherever, and couldn't get it to work. the press took it out in about 30 seconds. need a deep 24mm socket for it too if you don't have one.

2010 also had a shimmy issue from the factory. Some were actually bought back lemon law. Rebuilding the suspension with better shocks/struts would resolve the issue.

I read that. But mine didn’t start until recently. And I’m getting really sick of it.

I had a similar issue that was corrected by replacing the front lower control arms rear bushings. You can inspect those with the car parked and the wheel turned all the way to one side. On mine, it was pretty clear that one was torn.