LegacyGT.com

Stromung replacement options

As my car starts getting repaired from the rear end collision I'm faced with a dilemma.

My Stromung exhaust was damaged and if it isn't fixable I'll need a replacement.

Obviously another Stromung isn't really an option as they aren't being manufactured anymore.

I'v done some searching and watched many exhaust clips on YouTube but would like some real world input as well.

What are some similar sounding exhausts that are currently available? I would prefer something that is semi-quite until I mash the skinny pedal.

I'm guessing that I will be stuck on the secondary market but am willing to purchase new or lightly used.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. I'm eyeballing the jic magic titanium cans in the classifieds, but my budget for this replacement is still being negotiated with the at fault insurance so I'm unwilling to purchase any more parts until that is settled.

i'm quite the fan of the borla CBE and the Cobb catted DP. IMO it's the perfect mix between daily driving quietness (while still getting that awesome deep Subaru rumble) and some WOT symphony! I don't have much to compare it to other than an obnoxious Apexi N1 single can on a WRX, but I honestly have ZERO desire to replace my current setup.

My GrimmSpeed catted DP isn't harmed thankfully.

I haven't been a huge fan of the q300 sound clips that I've heard.

It is difficult to compare using sound clips and not knowing if there's an added resonator or what DP or Y-pipe everything is attached to.

I've got a set of Nameless axlebacks (car is otherwise stock) and love the tone. We'll see how much that changes once I get a downpipe - it's pretty loud as is.

I have heard that a lot with Nameless. The consensus seems to be that they are on the loud side of the scale?

What size are you exhaust tips? 5"?

The Stromung is easily mistaken for stock as far as looks go. Definitely not keen on the grapefruit shooter look.

My GrimmSpeed catted DP isn't harmed thankfully.

I haven't been a huge fan of the q300 sound clips that I've heard.

It is difficult to compare using sound clips and not knowing if there's an added resonator or what DP or Y-pipe everything is attached to.

I have a killer b header, grimmspeed catted downpipe and Q300 V3. No drone and really only loud during wide open throttle. (in my opinion)

I have a killer b header, grimmspeed catted downpipe and Q300 V3. No drone and really only loud during wide open throttle. (in my opinion)

Do you by chance have something to compare it to?

Or better yet a quality sound clip?

The few clips of the JIC magic Titanium exhaust on youtube sound pretty good IMO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJmUcqTULw]Subaru WRX - JIC Magic 505 Ti Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

FWIW I love my borla. I'm running it with a catted DP and it has a nice rumble at idle while opening up nicely at wot. It is by no means loud though. I actually wish it was a hair louder.

My Saabaru had a full Cobb CBE and I thought that sound was absolutely perfect. Definitely a little louder than the Borla on the LGT.

Big fan of the Magnaflow myself, but it's definitely on the loud side in my experience.

SPT is where it's at for me, although probably considered quiet for most. I've got a UEL header, catless UP, CrucialRacng catted downpipe, and the SPT is subdued at idle and cruise, but opens up very nicely.

Do you by chance have something to compare it to?

Or better yet a quality sound clip?

Sadly I don't have any clips. I could try and take one, sadly I suspect my recording skills are extremely lacking.

I have heard that a lot with Nameless. The consensus seems to be that they are on the loud side of the scale?

What size are you exhaust tips? 5"?

The Stromung is easily mistaken for stock as far as looks go. Definitely not keen on the grapefruit shooter look.

I got a set of the 4" tips and they are DEFINATELY on the louder side.

is it just the piping that is bent? or are the cans damaged as well?

I'm %75 sure its just the short pipe coming off one of the cans. The other can was definitely not afftected.

My neck and back were jacked up too bad when I had the car to really get under it.

I'll spend the $595 they are giving me and most likely fix the bent pipe myself or pay a muffler shop to do it.

Then I'll keep the setup I like better. Exhaust sound is so subjective, it's difficult to make an informed decision without hearing them in person.

Archived