LegacyGT.com

Driver's Front Window Does Not Go Up All the Way In Warmer Weather

Hello Subu Folks- The Front drivers side window on my 2013 Subaru Legacy will not go up all the way either manually or when use the auto feature.

This started about 2 weeks ago as the weather climbed to 80-90 degrees. Before that, the window worked fine. The day it stopped working it was 89 degrees outside and I had the AC blowing ice cold. When I got home, i turned off the AC and opened the window and that is when it would not close all the way.

The window will go up 2/3-3/4 of the way before stopping and going down 2-3 inches.

I have already goggled the issue and found some related posts on this and the Subaru Outback forum, so I have already applied the common solutions.

1) Clean the trim area and vacuum for any stuck foreign objects

2) Perform the window reset

3) Use a silicon window trim liquid in the affected window trim piece.

1 and 3 work for a little while, but the original behavior presents itself again in 1-2 hours.

In the window reset- I never hear a click after 10- seconds of holding the window button up and the window fully closed.

I have an appointment next week at the dealership, but I really do not want to spend $135.00 per hour labor rate if this is something I can fix on my own.

Any additional thoughts/tips/insight would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

My problem was different, it totally stopped working.

You may have a dying motor?

Either way, if it's the regulator or motor, they only come together as an assembly.

Here is what happened to mine with some pics of the regulator motor assembly.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driver-window-not-working-282904.html

I'd check/listen for anything loose, as well as see if you apply a little pressure inward or outward if it works properly (pressure to the glass - light pressure)

It looks like there are two different reset procedures, the one to use depends on what the window is/isn't doing (though they look remarkably similar, maybe there is something that happens when actuating the auto up switch 10 times?) - anyway - here's a capture from the MY13 Service manual

Capture.thumb.JPG.3090ca6ff17421e4c6338786a1a970c7.JPG

I'd check/listen for anything loose, as well as see if you apply a little pressure inward or outward if it works properly (pressure to the glass - light pressure)

It looks like there are two different reset procedures, the one to use depends on what the window is/isn't doing (though they look remarkably similar, maybe there is something that happens when actuating the auto up switch 10 times?) - anyway - here's a capture from the MY13 Service manual

123. Thank you. I have also applied light pressure to the window when it goes up and I have been able to get the window the rest of the way up when applying light pressure.

Edited by GFINE

My problem was different, it totally stopped working.

You may have a dying motor?

Either way, if it's the regulator or motor, they only come together as an assembly.

Here is what happened to mine with some pics of the regulator motor assembly.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driver-window-not-working-282904.html

Not sure it is a dying motor because if I spray lubricant in the window track, it will then operate normally for a while....

123. Thank you. I have also applied light pressure to the window when it goes up and I have been able to get the window the rest of the way up when applying light pressure.

Sounds like the track is misaligned, then - not sure the system has any adjustment to it (certainly not in the service manual) - have you pulled the door card and watched to see where it might be binding?

The part of the regulator that the window holder bolts on to has slotted holes.

And it doesnt travel straight up. There is a noticeable change about 3/4 of the way up.

Maybe the bolts holding the window to the regulator got loose and caused a slight misalignment?

Sounds like the track is misaligned, then - not sure the system has any adjustment to it (certainly not in the service manual) - have you pulled the door card and watched to see where it might be binding?

Bingo 123- i did not see your reply till now, but I discovered that my passenger front window was feeding inside the track/stripping and the driver window was feeding on the outside of the track, so I just smoothed out the track/stripping and the window feed inside and not outside of it and now all is better.

I cannot believe i did not notice it before...Subu owner fail!