LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Bearings always fail?

When I bought my 2002 Legacy GT years ago with 138,000 miles on it, the transmission bearings made lots of noise and needed to be replaced for an absurd amount of money. Now the car has 216,000 miles and there is transmission bearing noise again.

I just took my 2009 Legacy GT (127,000 miles) in to a trustworthy shop that mostly works on Subarus and one of the things they reported was transmission bearing noise.

I'll ask them more about this but my question is "What the f?" Am I just cursed? Or is this one of the reasons these Subaru 5-speeds suck?:confused:

These Subarus are such money pits ROFL. Why can't I like Hondas like the kids did 10 years ago.:lol:

Are you talking about the release/TO bearing? They wear because of the aluminum shafts. Aluminum is a softer metal so it can get grooved from the axial movement. The solution is a TSK-3. It's not terrible to do by yourself. However, you're right, these things are money pits.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

No he's talking about the internal bearings...

He's new here. I have had bearings done in my 5mt a number of times over the years. The last time, was when the viscous coupling leaked and contaminated the last set of bearings. This was in a junk yard tranny that I had new bearings put in when it was installed in the car a couple years back, when after so many rebuilds, the tranny that came in the car had to much slop in the case.

I now run Motul 300 gear, because Subaru Extra-S is no longer sold.

The first bearings went in my 2005 about 72,000 miles.

I have also had Moore Performance blast plates installed for about 3 years or more now. They make the tranny shift more like a Honda. Notice I said more like, not, like a Honda. The tranny no longer fight's me going into 3rd at high rpm's.

I ran Amsoil Severgear in the tranny for a number of years...not sure I'll do that again in a 5mt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

92k miles on my 11 year old 5MT, no bearing noise at all. Though, going into 3rd gear is often rough or feels difficult to get into sometimes, I'm pretty sure the synchro is going already.

A buddy of mine has a 97 Impreza 5MT with 200k, original transmission, only maintenance has been changing the gear oil. That thing has had a bearing whine for at least 30k miles, doesn't seem to affect anything. I'm sure he'll drive it until it blows.

Are you talking about the release/TO bearing? They wear because of the aluminum shafts. Aluminum is a softer metal so it can get grooved from the axial movement. The solution is a TSK-3. It's not terrible to do by yourself. However, you're right, these things are money pits.

Here is that sleeve you are talking about

http://www.smart-service.com/transmission-snout-repair-kits/28-tranquil-sleeve-kit.html

He's not talking about that bearing like we thought.

To further the conversation, my trans has over 200k on it and it can wine a bit but that seems to have been suppressed with some new Motul 300 as Max mentioned. I may also do the blast plates next year when I do my rebuild.

On an unrelated note, how can you be in K.O.P and in "Steeler Country"? There may be gallows waiting for you on Swedesford Rd if that info gets around :lol:

Your secret is safe with me. ;)

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

He's not talking about that bearing like we thought.

To further the conversation, my trans has over 200k on it and it can wine a bit but that seems to have been suppressed with some new Motul 300 as Max mentioned. I may also do the blast plates next year when I do my rebuild.

On an unrelated note, how can you be in K.O.P and in "Steeler Country"? There may be gallows waiting for you on Swedesford Rd if that info gets around :lol:

Your secret is safe with me. ;)

I have had family out in The Burgh since a kid. Traveled there every other weekend since the 80's. Life long Steeler Fan even though I grew up outside of Philly been a Pennsylvanian all my life west to east. Still a Flyers / Sixers fan though if that helps. Believe it or not even though there are rich snooty people around me there are tons of Steelers fans that are transplants and also old school fans as well.

My legacy (172.8k) has developed a speed related whine I can't diagnose, going to do a fluid change in about a month. If the noise changes then I'll know it's the transmission, if not well at least I've done a fluid change on it. Figure at this mileage it had a good run. Doubt my car hasn't been beat on much since A) it has a lot of miles for it's age so probably all highway and B) it lasted to 172.4k on the stock tune.

Any specific symptoms of this?

The fluid turned gray and the bearings began to get louder. The car drove fine.

Of course I didn't notice the gray fluid until after the bearings got loud. After all, that tranny hadn't been in the car very long. I don't check the tranny fluid that often. It doesn't leak so it should be low once filled.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No he's talking about the internal bearings...

He's new here. I have had bearings done in my 5mt a number of times over the years. The last time, was when the viscous coupling leaked and contaminated the last set of bearings. This was in a junk yard tranny that I had new bearings put in when it was installed in the car a couple years back, when after so many rebuilds, the tranny that came in the car had to much slop in the case.

I now run Motul 300 gear, because Subaru Extra-S is no longer sold.

The first bearings went in my 2005 about 72,000 miles.

I have also had Moore Performance blast plates installed for about 3 years or more now. They make the tranny shift more like a Honda. Notice I said more like, not, like a Honda. The tranny no longer fight's me going into 3rd at high rpm's.

I ran Amsoil Severgear in the tranny for a number of years...not sure I'll do that again in a 5mt.

I had mine fail on the way to work one morning.. it was the one that was on the gears.. must of came out and got in between the front diff.. I had to hobble back home with a horrible sounding transmission I don't think I was able to go over 5 mph.. I took pictures but I'm not sure were they are

I'm even more so convinced that these cars eat all bearings due to really crappy grounds.

Current starts at the motor, moves to the TOB & transmission then spreads to individual wheel bearings. Destroying everything that rotates in its sight (causes small arcs every time the bearings rotate).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived