LegacyGT.com

Subaru Reliability

I've owned 6 subbies with my 18 3.6R being the latest.

I've noticed over the years that the reliability ratings over the years have gone down (middle of the pack among other brands). Have read that the updated technology has been problematic at times (i.e., bluetooth syncing issues).

Me personally haven't had any major issues except for my 10 year old tribeca limited just recently had its head gaskets replaced. Other than that, my 05 GT, Forester, Tribeca all had over 120k. My current 11 wrx ltd is going great with 70k miles and 2016 impreza I traded for the 3.6R in was perfect condition.

Thoughts on reliability?

Not a single one of 6 I've owned have matched the reliability I get out the Mazdas or Hondas I've owned. Significantly more recalls as well. Just had the valve covers done at 65k on our Outback. That's not acceptable.
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Love my 01 Outback MT EJ25. I've done "all" my own maintenance and it's my daily driver with 306K on it. Head gaskets, a worn clutch fork, and various CV shaft expectedly - nothing else major. Minor stuff included ft O2 sensor, knock sensor, heater blower motor, windshield wiper transmission arms, and speakers wearing out. All easy - all cheap. I'd still drive it across the country tomorrow at 26 mpg.

Getting a 18 Legacy soon - I hope you're wrong about reliability over the years! lol

The more the cars add electronics, the more the reliability goes down. The cars themselves are solid but the electronics, especially the head units, cause cars to get poor ratings in Consumer Reports.

This.

Biggest complaints aren't with the cars reliability but with all the gadgetry.

2016 3.6R with 62k, zero problems.

Even "bulletproof" vehicles have issues and recalls... Current model Tacoma is poor. Current model Civic (turbo) had major engine issues. Kia/Hyundai are replacing tons of their engines. VW (we won't even go there)... The more you cram into a vehicle, the more can go wrong. The more vehicles you make, the more room for error. I've stuck with Subaru through my issues with previous vehicles, because of the service and support I get from Shortline Subaru and SOA. Hands down - no one goes out of their way, like SOA does for their loyal customers.

My 02 WRX was phenomenally robust until about 180k. Then the turbo took a dump and I blew up my engine at a trackday. It was a simple car with very little to go wrong.

My 07 LGT has had small issues since day one, but has never really let me down.

I have a 2010 Legacy with 195,000 miles on it. It has been a solid car aside from getting the Torque Converter replaced (Covered under an Extended Warranty on the CVT Transmission. TC started to not release properly and would occasionally stall the vehicle when coming to a stop). And I had to replace the Cat Converter as the Factory CAT ended up with a Rust Hole in it (typical for what was a 7 year old vehicle in New England, especially with the amount of Salt they put down in the Winter).

Aside from those 2 things, I have had zero issues with the vehicle and it continues to run solid as my daily driver, being driven over 40,000 miles per year...

I have had the opposite issues of most in this thread...I've never had any small issues with any of my 4 modern Subarus...the only issues they have had are large. The 2005 GT ate a turbo around 120k. the 06 GT is in pieces currently waiting on me to have time to deal with the spun bearing. The 2003 Outback had a head gasket failure at 100k, and my 2011 Legacy needed a new shortblock at 72k as the oil consumption shot through the roof.

In all those cars the only small things that have failed other than maintenance items are an alternator and a gas cap o-ring, both within 3 months of buying the 2011 new. The 05 also needs an AC compressor.

I own 2 Subaru and outside of 1 warranty issues I have had very little trouble with my cars

2003 car is at 124K miles and I got it with 60K. Spend about 8K total on car including purchase price and fixing it...

2014 Subaru... improvement over 2003 in every way 1 warranty repair (o2 sensor and ultimately MAF sensor) 48K no problems. Subaru tech broke front differential and as a result got new trans at 40K

I own 2 Subaru and outside of 1 warranty issues I have had very little trouble with my cars

2003 car is at 124K miles and I got it with 60K. Spend about 8K total on car including purchase price and fixing it...

2014 Subaru... improvement over 2003 in every way 1 warranty repair (o2 sensor and ultimately MAF sensor) 48K no problems. Subaru tech broke front differential and as a result got new trans at 40K

Well Damn.... How did the Subie Tech break the front Differential?

Well Damn.... How did the Subie Tech break the front Differential?

my speculation is that he impacted the dain bolt on or it was a very weak casting, anyways they serviced it at 33K and it started leaking within a few weeks. Took it back, they dyed it and a week later the crack was revealed straight through the bolt hole. $8K for a new CVT on the Subaru dealer of course.

My SRVD is disabled now, Over 39k. Suddenly stopped working while driving. Called SOA and they said they will assist with the situation but not guaranteed. Went to the dealer they are not moving forward without paying 300$ in inspection fee informed the SOA they said the car is out of warranty and they cant do anything. I Highly doubt the reliability of the car now.

Coming from an 2000 Passat 1.8t that crossed the 400k mile mark until taken out by black ice in 2015, I am hoping for half of that with my Legacy. Passat was a gasser that had original clutch and original turbo until the day she died. I was hoping to have crossed over to 500K but will never know. Time will tell, as the Legacy is putting far fewer miles on per year than the Passat did.

I have driven three legacies to close to 50k miles without many issues. I also have a work ‘05 Impreza with 177k that isnrunning strong. I have done all the regular maintenance and it is running strong. Mom has a 2016 Mazda 6 with 17k miles that just went through it’s rear brakes. The dealer wanted $500 to change them. I did it for her for $100 in parts. It was crazy because out of the 4 pads only one was completely work down to metal. I feel it was a defect or the electronic brake system may be at fault. Anyway any car may have issues at any time.
---

In my experience, I was a little surprised to have my crank seal go out at 25K miles, but I'm not prepared to cry "lemon"! Everything mechanical fails unexpectedly.

Based on JD Power, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc on reliability, the car seems, on the whole, about average. We'd all like better, but other factors in other categories, make the Legacy a decent enough choice.

In my experience, I was a little surprised to have my crank seal go out at 25K miles, but I'm not prepared to cry "lemon"! Everything mechanical fails unexpectedly.

Just make an idiot check of the PCV valve - if that's bad it may have caused the seal to blow. If it's not bad only a little effort has been wasted and it was the seal after all.

453747.png

Archived