LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Is it the wrong kind of top hat? Aren’t you supposed to use Spec B hats? Or is that just front?

I can't imagine that KW would sell an 05-09 legacy coilover kit and expect you to buy a part from a specific model to make it work. Regardless, yes I believe that is just the front for Bilsteins. I suppose this probably deserves its own thread.

Wow i've been away a long time..everything looks different here!

Haven't changed a whole lot, but did get my Stoptech kit installed. Tried a set of Wilwoods a few months ago, and it never worked right. Never did figure out why they failed so bad, but the Stoptechs have been flawless so far. Have yet to get on the track with them, but they work great on the daily commute :p They legit do feel much better than the stock brakes - more immediate without being touchy, and balance still feels essentially stock. Track test soon.

What lugnuts are those?

Well I finally got around to pulling the double din out of the 05 gt and into the spec b, loving the new look with the CF trim now. I'll have to redo the shifter trim to match to finish the look.

Where did you get the CF trim from? Are they wrapped or "real" CF?

Whelp, found my power steering leak. Cut the zip tie from the RH boot and pulled the boot off, and was greeted with a brilliant red downpour of ATF.

More lessons learned: don't buy junkyard things :spin:

Anyone want a '16 STi rack that needs a new RH oil seal (or I suppose a full rebuild while it's out, why not?).

Whelp, found my power steering leak. Cut the zip tie from the RH boot and pulled the boot off, and was greeted with a brilliant red downpour of ATF.

More lessons learned: don't buy junkyard things :spin:

Anyone want a '16 STi rack that needs a new RH oil seal (or I suppose a full rebuild while it's out, why not?).

Maybe, how much?
Yeah. How much?

Hydrodipped, I wish Madrig would make a set

AHEM MADRIG COUGH COUGH

I thought he mentioned somewhere that he had issues being unable to mold in the clips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today while riveting a bumper bracket I drilled into my finger, haha. This is apparently a week of hicksta moments. No sutures but they had to dig some aluminum shavings out which isn't the best feeling in the world.

beat the 108 degree heat and finished my ball joint install. Now to test drive, wash her up, and fill up with some e85 and smile again. not the best pics but i try lol

missioncomplete.thumb.jpg.43456c9845634c6804f1cbdd3f32a970.jpg

mevosucks.thumb.jpg.bf83b3d39071cc53e67cb49ccb9c4112.jpg

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Changed out my cabin air filter yesterday. Became really familiar with front interior trip, intimate rather. I decided while half of it was out that I would just deep-clean it. So I did with a little Lysol and some Meguiar's interior cleaner. It was very much needed. Gagged a few times at what I found, but got it done. Everything that could come apart, came apart. All the way down to the clear plastics that indicate your seat heaters are on. Now it feels super clean.

In addition to that I've been messing around with my BP9 mirrors and mirror switches. Swapping over internals. The tan switch is my factory switch.

IMG_3201-min.thumb.JPG.3ace95326d94f8d3bd3dda471d31b1de.JPG

IMG_3195-min.thumb.JPG.ab16e0ee056a043c1eb340533cb5e442.JPG

IMG_3200-min.thumb.JPG.003153ae8ca90a5266da8ff4296619aa.JPG

IMG_3202-min.thumb.JPG.06b49a5a702dd410aaa55b84e580b901.JPG

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Replaced what I thought was a whining power steering pump. Granted it was another new carquest, but it's still whining. I'm almost wondering if it's the alternator now. I can hear the PS pump just cycling fluid, but it doesn't ultimately sound like the origin of the whine.

Would alternator bearings whine like that? I've got zero charging problems.

Replaced what I thought was a whining power steering pump. Granted it was another new carquest, but it's still whining. I'm almost wondering if it's the alternator now. I can hear the PS pump just cycling fluid, but it doesn't ultimately sound like the origin of the whine.

Would alternator bearings whine like that? I've got zero charging problems.

Yes to the alternator bearings whining. How many miles on the car/alternator? I just replaced my bearings at 228k for the first time but they were loud for quite some time. The rear was loudest and sounded like a roller skate bearing. It's really easy to do bit you do need a couple of tools to make your life easier. A small vice makes pressing out the front bearing (NTN 6203) easy. The rear bearing (NTN SC8A37LH1) is easy if you have a small bearing separator.

Steps are pretty easy once alternator is out. This seems like a lot but it really isn't. There is also an easy description of this in the FSM under the SOHC engine section.

1. Remove the 4 bolts holding the alternator together and tap the stator and rear cover off. This should leave the rotor and front cover still attached.

2. Wrap rotor in towel and use wood blocks in vice to clamp it. Then remove the nut holding the pulley on.

3. Tap the rotor shaft out of the front cover using a rubber/brass mallet.

4. Remove the 4 screws that hold the front bearing in place.

5. Use the vice and a socket to press out the new bearing

6. Use the bearing separator to remove the bearing at the rear of the rotor.

7. Clean surfaces and press new bearing in front cover. Place housing over bearing and tighten screws.

8. Tap new bearing on rear of shaft with rubber or brass mallet.

9. Now you're ready to put it back together. Wrap rotor in paper towel again and tap front cover on shaft. Place pulley on and tighten to 80 ft-lbs.

10. At the rear cover there is an access hole for a small paperclip or allen wrench. Push down on the brushes in the rear cover and slide allen wrench or paperclip in to hold the brushes down.

10. Tap the rotor back in place for the rear cover and tigthen the four screws holding the covers together. Remove the allen wrench/paperclip and the spin pulley to be sure everything is smooth.

did you hydrodipped yourself (or friend) or bought it from somewhere, share the deets
It's a shop local to me, they do tons of stuff, I brought them the pieces and within 5 days they were done, I also did the interior grab handles.

What's nice is they clear them after they have been dipped so it looks super natural

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Goodness I was just going to buy a replacement if the alternator bearings were a bit scratchy. Car/alternator has 236k miles lol. But I've been watching a lot of Wheeler Dealers and rebuilding an alternator does sound quite relaxing.

I don't have quick access to a vice(work may have one), though it sounds like the small bearing separator would be an Advance Auto rental.

Edit: Front bearing looks easy enough to find - do you have a source for the rear bearing?

Edited by seanyb505

Goodness I was just going to buy a replacement if the alternator bearings were a bit scratchy. Car/alternator has 236k miles lol. But I've been watching a lot of Wheeler Dealers and rebuilding an alternator does sound quite relaxing.

I don't have quick access to a vice(work may have one), though it sounds like the small bearing separator would be an Advance Auto rental.

Edit: Front bearing looks easy enough to find - do you have a source for the rear bearing?

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/52312.html

Maniac Electric is the go to for alternators and parts. The bearing linked is an NTN bearing. Funny enough, the oem bearing is actually NMB out of Thailand that is hard to source.

You can still buy oem for both for a big markup. The new oem rear may not be NMB as it's been superseded.

Rear Bearing: 23721AA121

Front Bearing: 23721AA100

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/52312.html

Maniac Electric is the go to for alternators and parts. The bearing linked is an NTN bearing. Funny enough, the oem bearing is actually NMB out of Thailand that is hard to source.

You can still buy oem for both for a big markup. The new oem rear may not be NMB as it's been superseded.

Rear Bearing: 23721AA121

Front Bearing: 23721AA100

Might you like to post that link in JmP's sticky up top about various parts ?

Wish more members knew about that great sticky.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hydrodipped, I wish Madrig would make a set

AHEM MADRIG COUGH COUGH

I pm'ed about an interior set awhile back. I think the answer was too fussy and no margin. Never hurts to ask tho.

Supposedly hkc-speed has a contact for getting a full set, however, he's pretty much swamped with his other business. If you have his direct line, you might ask him. You'd need a group buy as I think the minimum order was 11 sets.