LegacyGT.com

Question for owners of white subarus

I don't know if it's just my car or what but to those with white cars, has anyone else noticed that the touch up paint doesn't match at all?

I've swapped parts from other white cars and it matches fine, but it's as though our paint is so close to pure white that no off the shelf paint matches. I've even tried to match a bunch of spray paints and model paints and none of them are close. Has anyone else had better luck?

Wet sand the area with fine grit sandpaper. You need to take some layers of clear around the area that needs to be touched up. Clean the area, fill the scratch with 2 stage touch up paint. Wet sand again for a smooth finish and adjust the patch area as needed with more touch up. Then reapply a good clear coat and wet sand to a smooth surface. Polish with rubbing compound then polishing compound to a mirror shine finish. The repair should be almost indistinguishable.

*Disclaimer*: This is what the professional body shops do, I take no responsibility if you mess up. I have done this on my own cars and I have had good results.

Wet sand the area with fine grit sandpaper. You need to take some layers of clear around the area that needs to be touched up. Clean the area, fill the scratch with 2 stage touch up paint. Wet sand again for a smooth finish and adjust the patch area as needed with more touch up. Then reapply a good clear coat and wet sand to a smooth surface. Polish with rubbing compound then polishing compound to a mirror shine finish. The repair should be almost indistinguishable.

*Disclaimer*: This is what the professional body shops do, I take no responsibility if you mess up. I have done this on my own cars and I have had good results.

Thanks, I actually already claybarred and color sanded the whole car. it's just the touch up paint I used isn't as close of a match as I'd like. I was wondering if someone had luck finding a spraypaint/touchup paint that matched better off the shelf

So in this case I filled in the chips with model enamel paint and it filled in nicely but even after color sanding, compounding and polishing, you can still see where the chips were in sunlight.

This was before

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/DSC_1555_zpsjt0zwful.jpg

And this was after

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/DSC_1575_zpsy2y3o3ve.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so just a little update. I found a spray paint that's a pretty close match. It's by Rust-Oleum and it's their gloss protective enamel type.

This is what the can looks like

9976a27f-5de1-4b46-9177-0617ab7ca427_1000.thumb.jpg.5010f54017819d87e6c8ab30df146af5.jpg

And it's hard to see in the picture but there is a big chip in the center of the picture. I filled in with this paint and then compounded and waxed it.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/Build%2095_zpskd5wi9ki.jpg

I was gonna come in and post that white rustoleum is a really close match and matched better than the subaru touch up paint when I had 3 aspen white subarus

Yeah agreed, the touch up paint doesn't match anymore at all, and I'm glad the cars paint faded because the OEM color is ugly, I hate cream/off white. The rustoleum isn't perfect but it's close enough that you won't see a difference unless you are really looking for it.

I don't know if it's just my car or what but to those with white cars, has anyone else noticed that the touch up paint doesn't match at all?

I've swapped parts from other white cars and it matches fine, but it's as though our paint is so close to pure white that no off the shelf paint matches. I've even tried to match a bunch of spray paints and model paints and none of them are close. Has anyone else had better luck?

Is this your first Subaru? lol my friend Subaru paint is just the worst. Chances are it has faded and isn't near what it once was. I am on my 5th Subie and each one has had crappy paint.

It is something we all live with.

Is this your first Subaru? lol my friend Subaru paint is just the worst. Chances are it has faded and isn't near what it once was. I am on my 5th Subie and each one has had crappy paint.

It is something we all live with.

Yep first one and definitely not the last. It's hard to tell how bad the paint is when they are all faded so at least their crappy paint is consistent haha.

Archived