LegacyGT.com

Need some info on EJ22T

Alright, so I already posted about this on the other generation section, but long story short, I found a 92 Legacy with the EJ22T and it's a complete running car. It's got 200k ish on it and its an automatic in case you are wondering. It's owned by a Subaru Garage who knows me well, they offered to sell me the car for $1500. I was originally going to yank the motor out and put it in my second gen but I've kind of come around to the idea of just fixing it up and restoring it. I just want opinions on the situation. Is that too much money? Is it worth saving/restoring? etc..

I think it's worth saving but it's all a matter of opinion of course. $1500 doesn't sound too bad, but again it comes down is it worth it to you? I'd still try and talk them down a bit.

I paid $2300 or so for my 93 SS w/22T and the headgaskets blew the day I purchased it.

Things to keep in mind if you do get it is that to make it reliable you will need to replace every single coolant line, vacuum hose, boost lines, PCV lines, etc. I gaurantee every single hose will be brittle as shit and a ticking time bomb.

Some parts such as the turbo inlet elbow (which breaks just by looking at it) are no longer available as well as some other parts. There may a inlet or two in Canada (bcmmaxx might be able to source one for you...), but the obsolete parts aren't that big of a deal since it's not too hard to fabricate a lot of them. Other parts such as the charge pipe are easy to crack upon removal and will cost you an arm and a leg to replace with new OEM parts. This where bbslegacycentral (to find parts) and/or your fabrication skills may be needed.

In the pics it looks like the power steering pump belt isn't hooked up. Make sure the damn thing works before you purchase it.

Also if the AC compressor is bad you have to shell out $750 or more for a new one from Subaru.

Other things to keep in mind is that you should also replace the MAF sensor (a new reman one is about $150ish on amazon). They crap out and a used one will just crap out on you as well. The evap purge solenoid ($125 new) will crap out on you as well (not a big deal and doesn't effect the running of the car but you get a cel).

The oil squirters can also work their way loose which requires pulling the engine and removing the pistons to replace. There is no way to tell if they fall out other than installing an oil pressure gauge.

It will be a sweet wagon once it's fixed up but it's not gonna be a cheap project.

I've rebuilt a few 22Ts and have had just about every single issue with my 93 SS that you can have lol.

I think it's worth saving but it's all a matter of opinion of course. $1500 doesn't sound too bad, but again it comes down is it worth it to you? I'd still try and talk them down a bit.

I paid $2300 or so for my 93 SS w/22T and the headgaskets blew the day I purchased it.

Things to keep in mind if you do get it is that to make it reliable you will need to replace every single coolant line, vacuum hose, boost lines, PCV lines, etc. I gaurantee every single hose will be brittle as shit and a ticking time bomb.

Some parts such as the turbo inlet elbow (which breaks just by looking at it) are no longer available as well as some other parts. There may a inlet or two in Canada (bcmmaxx might be able to source one for you...), but the obsolete parts aren't that big of a deal since it's not too hard to fabricate a lot of them. Other parts such as the charge pipe are easy to crack upon removal and will cost you an arm and a leg to replace with new OEM parts. This where bbslegacycentral (to find parts) and/or your fabrication skills may be needed.

In the pics it looks like the power steering pump belt isn't hooked up. Make sure the damn thing works before you purchase it.

Also if the AC compressor is bad you have to shell out $750 or more for a new one from Subaru.

Other things to keep in mind is that you should also replace the MAF sensor (a new reman one is about $150ish on amazon). They crap out and a used one will just crap out on you as well. The evap purge solenoid ($125 new) will crap out on you as well (not a big deal and doesn't effect the running of the car but you get a cel).

The oil squirters can also work their way loose which requires pulling the engine and removing the pistons to replace. There is no way to tell if they fall out other than installing an oil pressure gauge.

It will be a sweet wagon once it's fixed up but it's not gonna be a cheap project.

I've rebuilt a few 22Ts and have had just about every single issue with my 93 SS that you can have lol.

From my semi thorough inspection, someone took the fuel pump and the alternator off of it, so that's got to be sourced as well as a flatbed/rollback truck so that I can move it. I'd like to just keep it and progressively restore it and just DD my second gen. It's also got 200k ish on it so I'm already committed to removing the motor to replace all the gaskets and seals as well as to inspect the short block. I'm sure every single seal leaks at this point.

The big problem with first gen Legacys is that Subaru made everything out of gold, and parts cost an arm and a leg, where as second gen parts only cost a finger. Oh, and no matter what you look for, there are only three of them at the central warehouse/storage.

But I love my 94! It's an awesome car!

As monkeyposeur pointed out, Legacy Central is going to be a great resource for this car.

All of the TWs are automatics as far as I know. Otherwise, the price seems fair.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

The big problem with first gen Legacys is that Subaru made everything out of gold, and parts cost an arm and a leg, where as second gen parts only cost a finger. Oh, and no matter what you look for, there are only three of them at the central warehouse/storage.

But I love my 94! It's an awesome car!

As monkeyposeur pointed out, Legacy Central is going to be a great resource for this car.

All of the TWs are automatics as far as I know. Otherwise, the price seems fair.

SC

Oh that's good to know, I was expecting it to be as cheap to restore as my 96. I'll be going over there tomorrow to do a proper inspection and to make a list of what all it needs so I can figure out if it's worth repair.

Case in point, my TPS was funky. Subaru wanted close to $400 IIRC. An eBay salvage yard piece was $35. Second gen TPS was less than $100.

It's not worth the repair if you only look at it as a cost/benefit, but it's fairly priced and is a great car.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived