LegacyGT.com

Need suggestion, Good set of all season tires...

B-BGTLimited

Looking to replace the Continental Extreme Contact's on my Legacy and this time I'm going with 225/45/17 instead if 215/45/17... A bit wider and tiny bit taller... Any suggestions on brand?

The only thing I did not like about the Continentals was the edge of the tread was very rounded and make the tire appear even narrower than it is.

I'd like to keep the price under $500 since I will also be replacing the TPMS sensors.

I got some Falken PT722, man I can easily break traction when it rains...but it RARELY rains here in SoCal. Besides that, everything else is good.

I mainly got these tires for the all season symbol so they'll let me go up the snow mountain with my lowered car without chains...lol

If you have a Goodyear store nearby, they double any rebates when you buy 4 tires using their credit card.

I had Dunlop SP Sport Signatures before I switched to Conti DWS on '08 WRX wheels. The Conti DWS are softer and a little bit quieter, but the Dunlops handled better.

There's also the new Eagle Sport all-season. Reviews say they're good in snow but not the best in the rain.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I'm looking for the " best " all season tires in size 225/45/18 for my 2010 GT Limited. As it stands now I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 saved in the cart. If anyone has any better suggestion tire wise, I would love to hear it. These will be going onto my stock wheels and those days of having a set of winter and summer tires are way past. I still currently have six tires and another set of nib Sport wheels sitting in my garage. Don't want to add another set.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

I still currently have six tires and another set of nib Sport wheels sitting in my garage. Don't want to add another set.

Can't wait for the sale...been looking for some nice 18's for my 5th Gen 2.5 Premium.

I'm looking for the " best " all season tires in size 225/45/18 for my 2010 GT Limited. As it stands now I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 saved in the cart. If anyone has any better suggestion tire wise, I would love to hear it. These will be going onto my stock wheels and those days of having a set of winter and summer tires are way past. I still currently have six tires and another set of nib Sport wheels sitting in my garage. Don't want to add another set.

Not to rain on the all-season parade here, but I don't understand the quest of finding "the best all-season tire". I can find inexpensive tires dedicated for summer or winter driving conditions, and they will outperform any all-season variant for their entire useful life.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

This is why I'll always try to maintain winter and summer tires. When driving conditions mean you're much more likely to hit or exceed the vehicle's limit, you want the best traction possible. With a wife and two kids in the car, "good enough" isn't good enough.

I took a winter safety driving class this past February at a rally school (Team O'Neil), and it was heavily emphasized to avoid "no-season" tires for the simple fact that they excel in no seasons. I can understand concerns about storage or up-front costs. But if those aren't impossible barriers to overcome, I'll always take the ability of stopping in 10-25% less distance on all road surfaces than any sort of minor convenience that all-seasons provide.

Any way, just thought I'd provide my 2 cents.

I respect your opinion and as anyone here who knows me will tell you, this car doesn't see daylight. I drive my Ram 99% of the time and the other 1% means I'm taking the Legacy out to have another exhaust put on lol. The reason for all season tires is its a compromise for if and when I do drive it to my local shop. I've had dedicated winter, and dedictaed summer tires on their own wheels for this car. It was truly a waste based upon what I use this car for. That's why the tires that I sell from this car are always like brand new.

I have (2) NEW tires, and two sets of used tires (250 miles on one set, 500 on another ) just sitting in the garage. Not to mention another set of nib Sport wheels that I have a project for. so if and when the rest of those tires sell, then maybe I will go back to a dedictaed set up again. :)

2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

Hey coopertone............you are not going to do any better than the Michelin PS A/S 3's....I put them on my 3.6 R shortly after I picked up the car...truly an awesome A/S tire...tons of grip in wet and dry...quiet and smooth. I have used Michelin PS A/S on my LGT,WRX and Leggy 2.5i.....cannot do better......Obviously not a true snow tire (I have some mounted for winter) but the "BEST" in an A/S tire. Buy 'em...love 'em!!:wub:

According to TR guys A/S 3 are very good AS tire if you do not need winter traction.

There are better AS tires if winter capabilities are important to you.

Krzys

I am actually looking for some good A/S tires with good winter capabilities, any suggestions for my 2012 Legacy 2.5i (205-60-16)

I am actually looking for some good A/S tires with good winter capabilities, any suggestions for my 2012 Legacy 2.5i (205-60-16)

No such thing exists....A/S tires are NOT winter tires....at the very best they are adequate at going and turning....CRAP when it comes to stopping :eek: If you drive in a snowy area...buy snow tires. The tread is different but the rubber compound is totally different........A/S tires are just not meant to work well as the temps approach freezing.

Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. Second set. Great wet grip and wears nicely. No snow here. Like others say.. if you see snow, buy snow tires for winter. If you want a great alternative to Conti DWS, then the Potenza's are wonderful and will last a little longer than pilot sports without sacrificing performance or safety. I run 225/45/17's as well, stock ride height.

No such thing exists....A/S tires are NOT winter tires....at the very best they are adequate at going and turning....CRAP when it comes to stopping :eek: If you drive in a snowy area...buy snow tires. The tread is different but the rubber compound is totally different........A/S tires are just not meant to work well as the temps approach freezing.

I agree 100% that snow tires are great, we have a set for our primary car, but I have been successful with A/S tires on my last few Subie's as I do not drive the car a lot (about 7,500 miles a year) and if the weather is bad we of course take the car with snow tires!

Anyhow I was considering the Michelin Premier A/S, but I was also looking at the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus and the Continental Pure Contact?

Well A/S tires have been very well for me in the past so I will continue to use them. My job is not so critical that I have to go in if there is a lot of snow so I can get away without running dedicated snow tires. Now if I lived in VT or NH I'd probably feel a bit different on that.

Even back in the mid 1990's I ran Michelin MXV4's on the Honda Civic all year. We went skiing every winter weekend in VT. It's about knowing your limits and how to drive. Sure snow tires would have been the best, but we did fine.

My first two Legacy GT's, I ran the same tires all year. Never missed a ski weekend, even drove home in 2001 in a ice storm, the AWD did fine.

It's about knowing how to drive and don't over drive the tires.

My 05 GT is the first car I've put snow tires on, I don't bother putting snows on my Spec B, the DWS have plenty of tread left if I decide to take it to VT this winter.

The Spec's winter rims with snows will go on the wagon this winter.

If you have good A/S with good tread, realize your limits, you'll be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived