LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump issue in cold weather

Bad Chariot

The past 2 weeks where it has been VERY cold in the overnights, the next day when I leave in the morning my power steering in my 07 Legacy (100k miles) is really not working for the 20-30 seconds then once I get driving it's fine. I normally let the car warm up for 4-6mins before I leave depending how cold it is.

I checked the fluid levels and they are fine. I just moved my car in the driveway NOT warmed up and sweet jesus I was powering it.

So I did a quick google search and the response I found was in the cold weather the fluid gets too thick while sitting and once the car is warmed up it makes it easier to flow. We are just starting the winter here, I can't handle this all winter. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? I read 1 tip to use synthetic tranny fluid because it doesn't have the "freezing" issue.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

is it foaming from the reservoir? does it make any noise when you turn the wheels? did you change the power steering belt at recommended interval? Did you change the power steering fluid as well?

All of the above would be good to know to pinpoint to the issue. Typically cold weather and power steering on Subarus is due to old O-ring at the power steering pump but tat is usually accompanied by some noise.

I haven't heard of fluid "thickenning" in cold weather to the point of being trouble, unless it's original from the 07 and is full of water. I would bet on O-ring in this case.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

No foaming, no noise and the car has the original belt AND fluid. Is changing the O-Ring a major repair? Its when you go to leave in the morning the steering is VERY tight and by the time I go to the top of my driveway it's "freed' up and there are no issues. Say I am out and about all day there is no issues, this ONLY happens in the morning after the car has been sitting for a while.

The job to replace the O-ring is not hard at all. O-rings can be had from the dealer , I used matching Toyota part that I got for free.

In your case however if you are saying there is no noise I do not think it is the O-ring. I think I had similar issue years ago on my Camry, where steering would be heavy for some time and then loosen up until the next morning. I ended up flushing the old power steering fluid and it helped. I would try that in your case, and if you can, get that belt replaced as well, it is time to do it on 07 anyway.

You can syphon some steering fluid right from the reservoir and add fresh one(Dextron III or IV from any parts store is fine). Drive the car then come back and syphon/replace again. Do it few times and you should refresh the fluid enough. This works if you do not want to go to the dealer.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

I did this. It was $4 oring.

Take the engine over off, loosen the engine cover bracket/belt goard, then unbolt the 10mm bolt that holds the p/s hose in place. lift the hose up, remove the old oring(will probably look more like a rubber band at this point) get the new oring lubed with fluid, slide it on. reinstall the hose and engine cover.

Literally took me 5 minutes. Before I saw that thread I thought I was going to have to buy a new pump. I put it off for two years because I didn't want to spend the money. Best find ever.

I would personally start with the easy things:

The belt is probably due for replacement, so do that, can't hurt at this point.

Use a turkey baster to suck out as much of the fluid from the reservoir as you can and put in some Redline Synthetic Power Steering fluid.

If the problem persists then pursue the o-ring replacement route.

-mike

• 4 years later...
I have a similar steering problem with my 2009 legacy. When sitting outside in 20 or less degrees, after my normal warm-up, the power steering is tough to turn, until I get going a while. Then its OK. I noticed a little puddle in garage & some sweat from the hose going from the reservoir to the pump (hose leaking?). I once added a month ago some fluid in the reservoir & since had not needed any. Usually my car is in the garage, and after the warm-up it just seem a little stiff turning when backing out, then it's OK rest of the day. Do you thing my pump is going? Any thoughts on this problem. It's still cold here in NY, so my problem continues.

I don't know a lot about PS systems, but I wonder if you have air getting into the system that's making it hard to turn. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the o-ring is one possible culprit for that.

Another thing, I wonder if you could be losing a little PS fluid where I was. The first picture is from up top on the driver side of the engine bay, and then below the steering rack.

1.thumb.jpg.e6b9a75d950e0f234fc2e9915a673c17.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7e534a88337edd74db392e111401c633.jpg

Hey There Burning Monkey - I read thru the other tread from 2013 & saw some advice about the O-rings, fluid, etc. After I picked up my car from some body work done in Nov, it was doing this tough turning after a cold start. The auto body guy they noticed a puddle of steering fluid when they were working on the car & said the fluid shot out of the reservoir while they were working on it?? & said I might need a new pump or maybe the rack. Just wondering if I replace the pump & get the job done right will my problem be fixed? My '09 has 97K miles & most parts are original.

PSA - As noted already check the basics first doing anything drastic:

1. Double Check Belt (Is it bad - or just needs a little bit of tension added?)
  2. O-Ring Replacement

Here's .pdf related to the issue from a member here!

I just had this issue and simply needed to tighten the belt tension:p

DIY Power Steering Pump Fluid Flush and Refill Walk-through Rev2 8-20-2014.pdf

• 2 years later...
Hi there- I was Googling power steering problems and I came across this thread... and was hoping I can get some advice from someone on here. I noticed the last thread was a couple years old anyway I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy, and we have gone through three power steering pumps in less than a year. The first being factory of course. I know they were all put in accurately this last one was put in less than a year ago and it's already causing problems. my dad checked it out, noticed there was the froth after awhile and it's doing all the typical signs-loud noises, the squealing, extremely hard power steering, etc. does anybody have any recommendations as to what's causing the pumps to go out so fast? I can't believe we're just really unlucky to have gotten two bad power steering pumps I'm assuming it might be something else! Any advice would be very much appreciated. Our Subaru is well-loved and well taken care of. Always had regular maintenance, etc. Not ready to let it go!! Thank you in advance-Cassie

So, I'm not an expert by any means, but here are my thoughts..

I see you mention froth, the power steering fluid is getting frothy? That makes me think air is getting into the system, and causing "cavitation". Where and how is air getting into the system? That, I'm not sure about.. Also, I think noise and everything else you describe can be caused by air in the system.

Edit: I think my terminology was wrong, "Aeration" instead of cavitation may be occurring.

Edited by apexi
typo first, added info second time.