LegacyGT.com

She lives!

Had a rough day a little over a month ago when my spec.B started stalling at stops... finally decided to check compression and found Cyl 4 was low...

Started searching for a used engine and happened upon a used built long block out of a 2006 STI. A few weeks or waiting on parts and a couple more weeks of work and she lives!

She was previously tuned and dyno’d at ~260hp/290tq. This past Monday she was retuned and dyno’d at 362hp/369tq at the wheels at Dotson Tuning in Fort Worth, TX.

670c67bff688098249c6381fcda0b5e1.jpg

65a65e3cd74cc2a4d36b3c36f7540a34.jpg

265d9f6545a6e00b687c9842f1be1d97.jpg

Not bad for a 14 year old Subaru!

8d2604acebd3750fdef17b34fdb43afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Can you explain how your car stalled at stops? My car quietly turns off every so often and I'm worried it's engine time. I've got a beater to save some money for a shortblock, but ya know these cars... always demanding more $$$

Nice! Can you explain how your car stalled at stops? My car quietly turns off every so often and I'm worried it's engine time. I've got a beater to save some money for a shortblock, but ya know these cars... always demanding more $$$

Basically I'd pull up to a stop sign or light and the revs would dip down below normal idle, she'd struggle and engine would shut off... it would previously do it once in a blue moon, and then it was doing it every single stop. I had to increase the idle RPM on the access port by 150 without AC and 250 with AC to get it to stop "most" of the time... but it would still do it on occasion. Oil consumption was also increasing... she was eating 2-3 quarts per 2500 miles, depending on how hard I was driving her, even with an AOS. ;( Had 30psi on Cyl 4... 120+ on the other 3.

Awesome to see. I might be in the 'needs a new motor camp' here pretty soon. Did you machine the heads and change gasket prior to installing the new motor or was that already done prior to purchase? Or did you just drop it and rock it?

Basically I'd pull up to a stop sign or light and the revs would dip down below normal idle, she'd struggle and engine would shut off... it would previously do it once in a blue moon, and then it was doing it every single stop. I had to increase the idle RPM on the access port by 150 without AC and 250 with AC to get it to stop "most" of the time... but it would still do it on occasion. Oil consumption was also increasing... she was eating 2-3 quarts per 2500 miles, depending on how hard I was driving her, even with an AOS. ;( Had 30psi on Cyl 4... 120+ on the other 3.

What engine component had let go, do you know. Your symptoms sound identical to mine. First couple random stalls were spaced out 6 months apart, now they’ve happened four times in the last month.

What engine component had let go, do you know. Your symptoms sound identical to mine. First couple random stalls were spaced out 6 months apart, now they’ve happened four times in the last month.

Still haven’t torn the old block down. Son had an ‘05 GT with 170+k miles. He’s going to rebuild my old block and put it into his Legacy. I’m suspecting Ringlands

Awesome to see. I might be in the 'needs a new motor camp' here pretty soon. Did you machine the heads and change gasket prior to installing the new motor or was that already done prior to purchase? Or did you just drop it and rock it?

I didn’t open up the long block at all. I spoke to the reseller and was able to chat with the original owner (car was being parted out) and it was estimated to be about 4-5 years old with only 17k miles on the engine. So I dropped it in as is, swapped over necessary parts (engine came from an ‘06 STI) and added the go fast bits and rocked it.