LegacyGT.com

driveshaft with replacable U joints

Found this today. $447 with replaceable joints.

New updated link, Aug 13 2020

https://driveshaftstore.com/Subaru-Legacy-Driveshaft-2005

I also posted this JmP's sticky up top.

The site has listing for different models.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough, I might be needing to do mine sooner than later as well. Glad this was posted.

Although, is the Legacy driveshaft a different length from the Outback driveshaft? Call me crazy, but I could've sworn I remember the driveshaft was one of the components to change out when swapping LGT suspension onto an Outback, which is what made me think they were different.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

If I remember correctly, you don’t change the driveshaft but remove the spacers at the carrier bearing. I’m guessing it’s for pinion angle since when you remove the spacers the engine sits higher which would effect driveshaft angle. My question is, are the lengths the same?

I'm fairly certain the LGT and Outback drive shafts are the same length.

It's the carrier bearing that is different due to the suspension geometry.

I have an outback transmission and rear diff in my LGT with the LGT driveshaft.

I'm considering getting one of these as my driveshaft has 210k miles on it now.

Yes the Outback carrier bearing is taller then the Legacy GT

Some of you may remember I went through that a few years back with the Propeller shaft in the car now.

The auto parts guy told me the Dorman shaft which was for the outback would fit, I even had him call Dorman to verify.

It didn't. Since then, the guy's at my local NAPA have been very good to me. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just got back from the Tranny Shop, they will put the OEM shaft back in. I'll order one of these next week.

Some may have read that last Thursday the wagons 5mt decided it was time to get stuck between gears. Worn shift forks. The new shift forks should be in this Thursday.

When I stopped in after work on Friday they showed me the notchy U joints on the OEM shaft I put in a few years back. That's what got me looking again.

Well, that did work, waiting that is, I placed the order for the driveshaft.

Will post pictures next week.

Edited by Max Capacity

Because I'm fairly new to drive shafts, other than the obvious of being able to replace the u joints instead of the whole dang shaft, is there any benefits? How often should you expect to replace u joints? I'm pretty sure my outback is at 165k and the e30 is likely over 200k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update, UPS say's the driveshaft should be at my house tomorrow before 9PM. It's a 27lb item.

That's pretty good service and shipping.

UPS dropped it off minutes after I got home from work. I took a few pictures and already dropped it off at the Tranny Shop. We laid it next to the OEM shaft, looks good. We tried the output shaft from the 5mt and it fit in smoothly.

Here's the reply I got from the The Driveshaft Store when a sent them a email earlier today.

Yes, the part number you ordered will fit the 2.5L Legacy GT with manual transmission.

I think you are going to like this part, it is made in the USA it has all replaceable parts including the center support since the CV is modified to a U joint setup.

U joints are not propriety for the shaft, so if ever needed you can order Spicer 5-1501X or any quality replacement joint that corresponds with this number.

We carry center support replacement and trans yoke if ever needed but I doubt you will ever need any of these items.

DSCN8565.thumb.JPG.744354972ba32c773d54942b899e543c.JPG

DSCN8566.thumb.JPG.4cdfdfad6eb97720f72ee4053156b32e.JPG

DSCN8567.thumb.JPG.61a8e7ca8edeac5b831a6f4f9a63d640.JPG

DSCN8568.thumb.JPG.6f30eeb8c13a1b2945d75a4da1a04e45.JPG

I did reference this forum in the email I sent to them. So if you need to contact them, may be let them know where you heard about them.

Looks like it may be middle of the week before I have the wagon back from the Tranny Shop. I didn't ask but the fact that the output shaft wasn't in the case today, I assume some of the parts didn't come in. I have a post in the tranny forum.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-transmission-failure-s-128098.html

I did reference this forum in the email I sent to them. So if you need to contact them, may be let them know where you heard about them.

Looks like it may be middle of the week before I have the wagon back from the Tranny Shop. I didn't ask but the fact that the output shaft wasn't in the case today, I assume some of the parts didn't come in. I have a post in the tranny forum.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-transmission-failure-s-128098.html

Out of curiosity, could you weigh the two somehow?

Sorry I did not weigh the new one, but the UPS tracking data said 27lbs.

I can weigh the OEM when I get the car back later next week.