LegacyGT.com

Potential CVT Issue - 2015 3.6R

Yeah I filled the front diff to the top of the level plug at the time so shouldn't be any issues there. Used the factory manuals to do the work - torque to spec etc.

Where was the check plug you used located?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. I'm loosing faith in the CVT I really was liking it when I purchased my car. I don't drive hard just long highway deives.. Well at 94k Miles I had the Oil Leak and had to get the Transmission replaced under the recall, So they gave me Weak 12month Unlimited Mile Warranty..

Well today I was under the car doing some work and noticed a Small drip of oil where the last one was. Only 41k Miles since the replacement..[emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959] But now Its out of the 12Month Warranty Period.. Next oil change I'm going to start asking questions about cost.. I know labor to drop the Tranny is going to cost a penny.. If it's output shaft seal I won't be to upset but if it's the internal leak again I'll be ready to get a attorney and fight for another Transmission.. Sorry Just my Rant today..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Update.. I'm hitting all the tranny threads;

There is a TSB on the CVT for possible leaks up to 100k miles.. So I recommend ALL of you check it closely because Unfortunately I had my transmission replaced at 94k miles because it was a area where Subaru Techs weren't allowed to repair it..

Now at 137,000 only 43k miles later I have another leak and it's out of Warranty.. So get ready to grab your seats.. I asked my dealership how much was Labor for Removal and Install to diagnose the problem they told me $1,150.00.. Here it comes if it's determined that the same area is leaking and a New Transmission is needed that will cost $9,000 and thats a refurbished Transmission... I'm so frustrated right now and waiting on a reply from SOA because I feel transmission shouldn't fail again at 43k Miles..

I'll keep u guys posted..

Update.. I'm hitting all the tranny threads;

There is a TSB on the CVT for possible leaks up to 100k miles.. So I recommend ALL of you check it closely because Unfortunately I had my transmission replaced at 94k miles because it was a area where Subaru Techs weren't allowed to repair it..

Now at 137,000 only 43k miles later I have another leak and it's out of Warranty.. So get ready to grab your seats.. I asked my dealership how much was Labor for Removal and Install to diagnose the problem they told me $1,150.00.. Here it comes if it's determined that the same area is leaking and a New Transmission is needed that will cost $9,000 and thats a refurbished Transmission... I'm so frustrated right now and waiting on a reply from SOA because I feel transmission shouldn't fail again at 43k Miles..

I'll keep u guys posted..

I’ve contacted soa twice about certain issues and they told me both times to kick rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really sorry to hear this, GL!

Is this just for the HTCVT? I’m at nearly 80k miles now on the ‘14 FXT, so I’ll have to take a thorough look sometime soon. I may even pay to have a shop take a look, since I don’t have access to a lift any longer.

Like Ares, I’m not optimistic about your chances with SOA. Also, if they’re not willing to play ball, have you looked at how much other shops would charge? I can’t imagine it being nearly as high as the dealer.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I want someone to clarify, these problems are for the CVT and not the HTCVT, correct?

The thread I about the HTCVT and im wondering if CVT problems have crept in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think most of the issues are with the 2015 and Newer CVT's they probably made minor changes to them when the Gen 6 Legacy released.. Since they went to a 6 Speed..

The Gen 6 CVT's have 6 Speed.. I'm pretty sure the Gen 5 and below have 5 speed.. The Newer 2020 Legacy Turbo has the Ascent 8 Speed CVT.

I'm not sure you understand how the Subaru CVTs work. They all have a semi-infinite range of ratios to choose from. The 5 or 6 "manual" ratios are implemented solely by software simulation in the TCM. There are no mechanically fixed "speeds."

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I'm not sure you understand how the Subaru CVTs work. They all have a semi-infinite range of ratios to choose from. The 5 or 6 "manual" ratios are implemented solely by software simulation in the TCM. There are no mechanically fixed "speeds."
Ok, so the software now contains 8 "manual" ratios. Big deal.

Point is ... except for minor evolutionary tweaks the CVTs have remained mechanically unchanged from one model year to the next, regardless of the number of programmed "speeds" implemented in the TCM Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Point is ... except for minor evolutionary tweaks the CVTs have remained mechanically unchanged from one model year to the next, regardless of the number of programmed "speeds" implemented in the TCM
True. However I don't think the guy made some huge egregious error calling the thing an eight speed nor did he have malicious intent in doing such. He simply used words he and everyone else understood, his understanding of the function of the CVT notwithstanding. In other words he's not wrong so maybe lighten up a little?

I know there simulated gears but older gen only has 5 newer gens have more to drop the rpm to improve gas mileage.. You might turn 2500 in ur Forester at 75mph and I turn 2000 rpm in my Gen 6 3.6..

I want someone to clarify, these problems are for the CVT and not the HTCVT, correct?

The thread I about the HTCVT and im wondering if CVT problems have crept in.

I'm not sure anyone ever directly answered this question. I see that grnlantern owns a 3.6 in his profile so I'm going to assume we're talking about the HTCVT TR690...correct?

I'm not sure anyone ever directly answered this question. I see that grnlantern owns a 3.6 in his profile so I'm going to assume we're talking about the HTCVT TR690...correct?
It wasn't, thanks for noticing. I gave up and figured nobody wanted the answer.

It wasn't, thanks for noticing. I gave up and figured nobody wanted the answer.

I'm not sure if my 3.6r has the HTCVT. I thought just the Older Gen's with Turbo's like the Forester had those and posdibly the Auto WRX.. I was just emphasizing how the Gen 6 CVT's had the TSB for possible leaks and wanted to pass the information to everyone to check your car's for possible leaks and also include some pricing..

Yeah all the 3.6Rs have the HTCVT. Thanks for keeping us posted on your situation, I'm sure there are more than a couple of us that are concerned about this. In my case my GF has a WRX with the same CVT so there's 2 of them at my place...

Posting up an update on my Transmission Issue.. SOA contacted me today and after talking with my local dealership they have agreed to split the repair costs and labor 60/40 so I'm Happy with my 40%.. I'll post up later what they find. I priced the input shaft seal and its only 6.50 for that part so I'm keeping my fingers crossed its only that and not another transmission..

2016 3.6 here - 48k miles. Leaking pump housing...They think. Anyway, it's at subaru getting fixed. I have an Outlander sport for a loaner from the car rental place next door. It's a big piece of shit. Would rather have a fozzy.

2016 3.6 here - 48k miles. Leaking pump housing...They think. Anyway, it's at subaru getting fixed. I have an Outlander sport for a loaner from the car rental place next door. It's a big piece of shit. Would rather have a fozzy.
Well Glad you found it early.. Once its fixed keep an eye on it when you change your oil..

Well Glad you found it early.. Once its fixed keep an eye on it when you change your oil..

Update...The little leak was "fixed" and then turned into a bigger leak when they were trying to fill it up. I asked what was leaking, I think he wanted to say input shaft seal, but couldn't find the right words. Anyway, it's still broke, but I have a 2020 forester now. So all good.:spin:

Update...The little leak was "fixed" and then turned into a bigger leak when they were trying to fill it up. I asked what was leaking, I think he wanted to say input shaft seal, but couldn't find the right words. Anyway, it's still broke, but I have a 2020 forester now. So all good.:spin:
Well at least the input shaft seal is only 6.50 for that part..