LegacyGT.com

Car Starting issue "partially my fault"

Hello folks,

Well this has happened only a few times and its mostly my fault I believe but I will explain. When I go into my car and start it some times due to my hand mobility issues from time to time I will not rotate the key far enough to turn over and in doing this the car wont start for a few minutes.

It wants to start over and over again, but when I leave it alone and sit still for a few minutes and try again it starts up with zero issues. I will turn it off restart it again and no issues it starts without the strange thing happening again.

I do know that this happens to me when I don't rotate the key far enough for a normal start up. Other than the obvious answer make sure I rotate the key far enough ..lol.. thanks

What is stopping the car from immediately starting up with I try it again?

Again I know this is odd, but any light you folks and give me will be appreciated.

Sonder

Do you have another key that you could test out for a bit? It would allow you to see if maybe it's the key itself.

No I dont it was a used car and just cant pull the trigger on a new key like 200 plus dollars from the dealership

There's a chance it could be the immobilizer kicking in. I had a remote start in a past car, and occasionally it would only try to crank very briefly- usually, that resulted in the immobilizer locking out ignition for 10-15 minutes. I suppose it's possible that if you only get the key turned far enough to engage the starter for a split second, the immobilizer could think the car is being hot-wired or something and lock things down.

As far as the key is concerned, I know they're cut the same on both sides, but I'm not sure both sets of teeth engage tumblers at the same time. If you're really dedicated, you could keep track of which way the key is oriented when you have the issue and see if there's a pattern. Usually, the key will just refuse to turn, though, rather than flaking out like that.

There's a chance it could be the immobilizer kicking in. I had a remote start in a past car, and occasionally it would only try to crank very briefly- usually, that resulted in the immobilizer locking out ignition for 10-15 minutes. I suppose it's possible that if you only get the key turned far enough to engage the starter for a split second, the immobilizer could think the car is being hot-wired or something and lock things down.

Thank you n I will be and eye on that n give it a whirl

As far as the key is concerned, I know they're cut the same on both sides, but I'm not sure both sets of teeth engage tumblers at the same time. If you're really dedicated, you could keep track of which way the key is oriented when you have the issue and see if there's a pattern. Usually, the key will just refuse to turn, though, rather than flaking out like that.