LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

I didn't do the installation, I don't know how to change brake (yes, I really need to learn, plan to do my next change myself). A dedicated local Subaru shop did the install, so I would hope they knew to do that. The squeal I get only comes at mild to moderate braking, any harder and it actually goes away. It just so happens to be at the pressure I most comfortably brake at coming up to a stop light.

Mine squeal at low speeds, so traffic and stop signs, which is 90% of my daily commute, also I seem to have the opposite effect with heat.. as soon as mine heat up they'll squeal at high speeds as well, and become horribly loud at low speed.

I know squeal comes from vibration, so I literally greased everything ... shims, entire rear of pad, all sides of pads.. basically the entire thing minus the actual rotor contact part and slider pins even the darn cotter pins everything is greased..lol Using permatex silicone ceramic brake grease and they still squeal.

i also did bed them in

.... and re did it after adding the permatex because I originally greased with standard brake grease.

I spoke to 2 friends and they had the same problem with hawk hps, but were using them on oem applications 2008 sti and 2015 sti?? i have 2011 sti brembos??? one switched to subaru pads and the other to powerstop and both no longer have any issuses??

I did speak to a couple of guys running the hawk hps on regular/standard brakes with no issues.

Edited by SpidermanMTL

I think its the brembo/hawk hps combo that induce squeal.

I got the Powerstops in today... the fronts came with the pins and lock collars the rears didn't? i sent powerstop a message and called them to ask if they should have came with the set (logically it seems like they should have) .. it seems to have put them in a tizzy... still no response.

but the pads and shims look good... waiting for Wed to install.

The brembo hawk hps don't have a shim already glued to the brakes. I would question using the oem shim and that one. More parts means more chances for vibration and squeal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Prova glass came in! Gotta figure out the best way to adhere the mirror mount to the windshield now, since it will be in the black-speckled part towards the top of the windshield. 3M Rearview Mirror Adhesive has a big handful of bad reviews about it not holding very well and the mirror falling, and since it's going to be adhered it to a porous surface, I gotta find something a tad stronger.

Also did some of what I like to call "useful spending", rather than fun stuff. :lol: Used my eBay bucks on a box of 100 bumper push clips, and extra sets of my wheels' center caps dropped in price from $40/set to $20/set. So I bought two extra sets, one of the high-type and one of the low-type, see which I like better (have the high-type currently). Also the chips in my current set are starting to fade/wear/corrode/something, so I'm going to try either clear-coating or clear vinyl wrapping the new chips, see how that works out.

cV6LrTj.thumb.jpg.6d82886c5f7a0cd3e48850d9f521314a.jpg

LXyxvQng.png.57bc3c5aadb44ecdb2b9efd342f3b1ea.png

0IP3miF.thumb.png.46d291a58dc3abb446138d0843b3ea4e.png

POWERSTOP... got back to me.... this was their message...

and I quote

On the 961 kit we do not include new pins.

so happy am I..lol looks like I'll be looking for pins this afternoon... in the words of the former champ (GSP) I'm not impress.

Powerstop Z26-1001 // 961 for my brembos (2011sti) the hawk hps pads squeal, and i'm fed up with them, i'm told the z26s are great for no squeal.

Please share if these pads eliminate the squeal, I have the exact same issue must be a Montreal thing, I have tried 2 types of anti-noise lube, I even bought these project mu rubber shims that was supposed to eliminate the noise, I was running brembo calipers /dba disks/brembo pads -squeal, I just switched to hawp HPS and you guessed it squeal, I was now thinking DBA pads or Carbotech ...... :spin::spin::spin::spin:.... that squeal is driving me nuts......

When I had my forrester I was running oem calipers/ hawk pads & dba rotors no squeal

I just got my new arms in the mail, $62.25 for a pair

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Arm-Kit-For-2010-2013-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2-Front-Lower-Control-Arms/232227266554?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

Ordered Whiteline W0506 and Superpro SPF4863K to replace the bushings.

And will transfer my Whiteline KCA313 over to the new arm and i should be set for another couple of years.

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Dammit. Pushed the "buy" button. I tried a STI steering wheel, figured it wouldn't bother me on the small fitment issues, but, it did. If one would get the STI airbag to hook up it would be awesome - but I'm just gonna go with one that matches our bag. Now the 2-3 weeks of waiting.....

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43347

never ends....

Got new front and read brake pads along with front rotors. Pads aren't too horrible (easily a year or two left on them) but front rotors are vibrating (pad deposits or out of round, or a combination - tried aggressive rebedding a few times and it helps, but still comes back. If the rotors don't look bad, maybe I'll get them turned and store them for next time...

I tried a STI steering wheel, figured it wouldn't bother me on the small fitment issues, but, it did.
You have to modify the little trim piece a bit, then there are just some gaps when looking from the side. I love the cleaner look of the DAMD and other similar wheels, but for what I paid ($0 - I used the last of my subarubucks before they expired) I am very happy with the STi wheel!

Ordered an upgrade.

https://www.uniden.com/shop/automotive/extreme-long-range-laser-radar-detector-with-gps/

I have a great Beltronic STi Magnum but with all the rich cars floating around where I live with assisted driving and blind spot radar, its getting triggered too much. I'll put it up for sale on the classified when I get the new one wired in. Also bought a hardwire kit for the new one.

Dammit. Pushed the "buy" button. I tried a STI steering wheel, figured it wouldn't bother me on the small fitment issues, but, it did. If one would get the STI airbag to hook up it would be awesome - but I'm just gonna go with one that matches our bag. Now the 2-3 weeks of waiting.....

never ends....

AND a failure here. They don't have any left. It was such a great price - hence why I jumped. So crap - went with a DAMD one. Blue stitching.

And now I'll have a STI steering wheel on sale! :lol:

You have to modify the little trim piece a bit, then there are just some gaps when looking from the side. I love the cleaner look of the DAMD and other similar wheels, but for what I paid ($0 - I used the last of my subarubucks before they expired) I am very happy with the STi wheel!

Here's a visual representation of the difference. The brackets are 100% identical and fit and mount exactly the same, but the molded bit that comes up from the bottom on the 5th gen specific wheels is where the fit difference is: this conforms perfectly to the bottom trim piece of the 5th gen wheel, while the STI wheel leaves some small gaps on the bottom corners. That said, the STi wheel is still 100% an upgrade over any stock 5th gen wheel option, so if you can get one for cheap, definitely go for it.

ZTdV6Jr.jpg

57xE7EC.jpg

QMMAPSN.jpg

Edited by Humble Rumble

now that my car is looking closer to how I want it to look thanks to all advise I’ve received from the forum , I want to focus on performance . I just bought the Perrin shifter stop. As I am doing the Perrin shifter stop, any other changes I should do at the same time ?

now that my car is looking closer to how I want it to look thanks to all advise I’ve received from the forum , I want to focus on performance . I just bought the Perrin shifter stop. As I am doing the Perrin shifter stop, any other changes I should do at the same time ?
The shift stop does very little. You should start with the shift bushing and a shift adapter.

never ends....

Oh it can still be done w/o going Sti air bag

20992609_10155767108570362_5004175455377317188_n.thumb.jpg.055ce57d8219c5f01cc198b17230b27f.jpg

20914496_10155767108660362_3440822019203243373_n.thumb.jpg.e50b54bed4a368c56f1767a23297b916.jpg

20914542_10155767108715362_7227003060567586333_n.thumb.jpg.f21e1591a04494b0e235e2ad69217cd3.jpg

20881846_10155767109060362_5753847779311135626_n.jpg.8e3283774b2519fc9c2e6563eca103c5.jpg

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○