LegacyGT.com

Will soon say goodby to my Legacy

The lease on my 17 Legacy will be up in about 3.5 weeks. I wanted a 20 which isn't available yet (at least not in my area) & would have settled for a 19, but the numbers didn't work out (neither did buying my Legacy off the lease. Love my Legacy). Unless I change my mind, I'll be leasing a 19 Outback 2.5i Limited. I never wanted an SUV, but it's only for 3 years. Since the OB is very similar to the Legacy (from the rear doors forward anyway), I'll just imagine I'm in my Legacy.

if you don't mind, what were the numbers?

I don't have all the paperwork yet as the car is on the way to the dealer. Technically, I'm in decision mode & my deposit is so they don't sell the car out from under me (which I suppose they could still do).

I can tell you that the interest rates are 0.0% for 36 months, 0.9% for 48 months & 1.9% for up to 72 months (if memory serves correctly).

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like I won't be saying goodby after all. We made the decision to not go ahead w/ the Outback. I expect to be buying my Legacy when the lease ends in early Aug.

Pulled the trigger yesterday. I now own it.

I am returning my 2017 limited in a couple of weeks, in my case I am picking up a new FWD premium trim Mazda3 hatchback in polymetal gray/black interior.

My car only has 26,000 miles, and even with the lower miles the trade offer would not cover the remaining loan ($19k + change) so it is back to Chase with it, $300 return fee and I can turn it in at the Mazda dealer since Chase also handles Mazda leases.

Though I will make one stop at Carmax and see what their offer is, I have seen cars similar to mine with Eyesight, lower miles (sub 30,000) selling for 20k+ there.

This car still looks and runs like new, but frankly I am bored to tears driving it.

Edited by upstater

I am picking up a new FWD premium trim Mazda3 hatchback in polymetal gray/black interior.

This car still looks and runs like new, but frankly I am bored to tears driving it.

Will be sorry to see you go .... I hope for your sake the Mazda 3 doesn't have "i-stop" ... otherwise you might be sorry for letting your "boring Subaru" go :lol:

I am returning my 2017 limited in a couple of weeks, in my case I am picking up a new FWD premium trim Mazda3 hatchback in polymetal gray/black interior.

My car only has 26,000 miles, and even with the lower miles the trade offer would not cover the remaining loan ($19k + change) so it is back to Chase with it, $300 return fee and I can turn it in at the Mazda dealer since Chase also handles Mazda leases.

Though I will make one stop at Carmax and see what their offer is, I have seen cars similar to mine with Eyesight, lower miles (sub 30,000) selling for 20k+ there.

I still love my Legacy.

Will be sorry to see you go .... I hope for your sake the Mazda 3 doesn't have "i-stop" ... otherwise you might be sorry for letting your "boring Subaru" go :lol:

i-stop isn't equipped on USA models. Mazda's are known for exceeding the EPA mpg's without it.

Meanwhile my Legacy since new has averaged 26.7mpg's (not the EPA estimated 29mpg combined), I never hypermiled, but I never really got the EPA numbers at any time, and mpg's in the winter were pretty damn bad.

FWIW Carmax offered the same amount to buy out the car ($17k), which is less than I owe on the lease ($19,300 residual), so I pay my $300 and Chase will take it back, someone will buy it off auction and put it on a lot at $22-24k.

Edited by upstater

Meanwhile my Legacy since new has averaged 26.7mpg's (not the EPA estimated 29mpg combined), I never hypermiled, but I never really got the EPA numbers at any time,

Neither have I. I average around the same mileage you do. Before the mileage update, I was able to get a little more mpg, but now, fuggedaboutit!

• 2 weeks later...
i-stop isn't equipped on USA models. Mazda's are known for exceeding the EPA mpg's without it.

Meanwhile my Legacy since new has averaged 26.7mpg's (not the EPA estimated 29mpg combined), I never hypermiled, but I never really got the EPA numbers at any time, and mpg's in the winter were pretty damn bad.

FWIW Carmax offered the same amount to buy out the car ($17k), which is less than I owe on the lease ($19,300 residual), so I pay my $300 and Chase will take it back, someone will buy it off auction and put it on a lot at $22-24k.

Weird. My '17 Limited 2.5i gets an honest 30.4mpg (calculated on Fuelly, not based on car's mileage computer.)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Weird. My '17 Limited 2.5i gets an honest 30.4mpg (calculated on Fuelly, not based on car's mileage computer.)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

It depends a lot on the driving distance for each trip. The consumption falls considerably when driving longer distances so the transmission can warm-up properly.

Just commuting to work kills my consumption figures - and also trying to keep pace with the other traffic to avoid becoming a road block with an eastern-european truck with removed speed restrictor up my butt.

453747.png

They're definitely more than a Legacy LOL

I crossed shopped with an STi and it was no contest - the R won that comparison easily.

Awesome car. Good luck with it and reliability. I test drove one and the headlight vibrated over every bump drove me NUTS. -When the salesperson said, we can have them look at that, I was all set. Cool how the headlights turn with the wheel.. Please let us know how it holds up in winter driving/ traction. If you live in a cold climate, I didn't actually take note of your location.

-Cheers

Awesome car. Good luck with it and reliability. I test drove one and the headlight vibrated over every bump drove me NUTS. -When the salesperson said, we can have them look at that, I was all set. Cool how the headlights turn with the wheel.. Please let us know how it holds up in winter driving/ traction. If you live in a cold climate, I didn't actually take note of your location.

-Cheers

New set of studded winters already in process, wheels chosen as well. I'll be ready for the cold/ice/snow...

I'm in central Canada (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

The Golf R would be what I would be driving if I could. FANTASTIC ride and handling, quick too but didn't really care about that. I had test drove close to 40 cars, mostly used, but started hitting new later. The VW guys told me to try a GTI. Tried that, a used Focus ST, Passat, Jetta diesel. Then a Golf R. I was blown away, only thing that rode that good and that sporty was a C5 Corvette.

Only things that came close were the Legacy on the ride and the AWD Charger for speed and ride. I didn't care for the Charger transmission as I was especially preoccupied with paddle shifters... 8 gears to bang thru? No. and it was 34k new, but it was very close to the VW for ride and performance, just not as "collected" but much more room. I think the Golf R was 41,900.

The used Legacy won with the ride, the transmission, and as with my loan I'd never really get upside down unless I wrecked it. But yeah, this car is school paste boring to drive, true enough, whoever said it.

• 3 weeks later...

One month in and a thousand miles later, I am loving the Mazda3. Unlike early adopters, I haven't had any issues requiring recall repair or trips to the dealer (probably because mine was built in Japan in June, after the recalls got sorted out). I bought a premium FWD hatch, auto trans.

Of note:

• The mpg's are right at the EPA estimates (31mpg combined), the 2.5 in the smaller and lighter car gives it enough oomph for me.
  • This thing coasts forever (in gear), the auto transmission just does its thing, acceleration from a stop is peppier than the Legacy, I rarely use the "Sport Mode" but that does hold gears and give a bit more pep from a stop. I have paddle shifters but almost never use them.
  • The safety systems never require fussing, they stay on and in the background so I don't need to turn them on every time I get in the car, the Adaptive Cruise is a bit harder on the brakes and accelerates slower than the Legacy did, but I actively managed Eyesight so I just started doing the same with the Mazda. The Lane Keep Assist works but is not obnoxious, and is not lane centering. The car beeps if you signal and there is a car in the blind spot which is great.
  • It does not have the "car in front of you moved alarm"
  • Apple Car Play is great, and it works very well with the commander knob and the high screen, no need to take my eyes off the road. Voice texting also works, and 'hey Siri' is always working to make a call or get nav info, the Subaru voice command set up was pretty bad (probably better in the new gen).
  • My car has adaptive front LED headlights, and the auto high beam system works seamlessly, I always shut that off in the Subaru because it was so delayed in responding to other cars, especially with curves in the road
  • Climate control in the Mazda is weaker than in the Subaru, style over substance in this case.
  • I have mounted snows ready to go (TireRack has Blizzaks on sale). It cost me less to buy snows than to upgrade to the AWD version of the Mazda3, but the main reason I went with FWD is it felt peppier and lighter to me when I was test driving it, and I knew I would mount snows for FWD whereas I would have been lazy and just kept all seasons for AWD. That and I wanted better MPG's, The AWD version feels very solid, like a Subaru, but I like the slightly sportier FWD, maybe just for the change.
  • the heads up display is great, projected out over the hood.
  • the paint (I have polymetal gray) came with some blotchy patches on the hood, that I found the first day home as I claybarred it in preparation for wax. Subaru paint was flawless. That said, I love the look of this car and the polymetal gray is amazing, so no regerts (sic). The residual value is lower, meaning when the car comes off lease I will have more incentive to buy it, unfortunately the Legacy would have cost me more to buy out than it was worth.

anyway, last post here, I made my final payment to Chase for the Subaru and am now an ex suby owner.

Edited by upstater