LegacyGT.com

All season vs all weather vs snow tire

Need new tires for my 2012 legacy, currently running Goodyear eagle GT M+S rated tires. I am in Connecticut and the winters can get pretty bad here.

found the Michelin Defender LTX M+S but its listed as a small suv tire..... not sure if anyone has run this on a legacy. If the size is correct would there be any problem running them ?

I was also looking at the Michelin Premier Touring All season get good ratings and

General Tire Altimax RT43 are also rated very well also but neither have the M+S rating

Any one recommend a good winter performer that's not a dedicated snow tire?

Winter (ice/snow) tires are illegal in some states so check with your state law. I felt more safe with winter tires in the snow/ice but again there loud on dry payment and there not safe when there is salt all over dry road (no traction).

Friend run the General Altimax and he likes them. I'm running Continentals DWS on my Legacy and very happy with them. I always ran the Pilot Sports A/S on my other vehicle. They suck on my RWD 5.0L V8 when there is a little snow on the ground. The tread life sucks.

Winter (ice/snow) tires are illegal in some states so check with your state law.

Show us one State that prohibits driving with snow tires during the winter.... some jurisdictions limit the use of studded tires but I will be shocked if any make ordinary snow tires illegal.

Winter (ice/snow) tires are illegal in some states so check with your state law.

Show us one State that prohibits driving with snow tires during the winter.... some jurisdictions limit the use of studded tires but I will be shocked if any make ordinary snow tires illegal.

Ten states prohibit metal-studded snow tires: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland (except in five mountainous counties), Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/studded-winter-tires

Ten states prohibit metal-studded snow tires: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland (except in five mountainous counties), Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin.

Still waiting for a jurisdiction that prohibits snow tires as you posted above ;)

hint

Wow, lacking important details and in fact some bordering countries require snow tires during the winter season such as Canada last I heard. Either way, a dedicated snow tire/wheel and summer tire/wheel package is the only way I’ll ever roll! Love my Blizzak’s!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in KC the winters do not get bad enough to warrant winter tires in my opinion (I have General Tire G-Max AS-05's). It will snow/ice/freezing rain for a day or so, then melt the next day. If it's bad out, we just take the Crosstrek. The GT stays safe in it's stable. :)

In fact, here in Canada, only the province of Quebec requires all vehicles to have "Winter" Tires mounted during the winter months (Dec 15-Mar 15)

All season tires don't cut it in Quebec during that time...dedicated snow tires only!

All other provinces and territories "recommend" the use on winter tires but accept A/S M/S etc with adequate tread depth.

So... Put on tyres to suit the weather conditions?

In most of Canada you would have to be a fool not to have real snow tires on in the winter....out here on the West coast we get a lot of rain and some wet snow so if you are careful and don't HAVE to drive everyday you can get away with A/S....I put on Nokian WR G3's from around now until the end of February.

As we all know, if you drive a Subaru you can probably get around on decent A/S tires....but they don't stop worth a damn in snow or ice..... Better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

a dedicated snow tire/wheel and summer tire/wheel package is the only way I’ll ever roll! Love my Blizzak’s!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen. Around here you have to be able to dodge those more adventurous souls who run Summer tires in a blizzard. :spin:

All seasons really only mean they won't be damaged when driven on during the winter and they won't be shredded when driven on hot pavement in the summer.

If you live in a location where you get more than 2 months of winter I can not recommend enough going with two tire and wheel sets. If there is thick slush or snow you will want the narrower winter tire to be able to cut through that. If there is ice you will need the winter rubber compound and sipe tread for traction.

Winter wheels don't have to look pretty and can be any used wheel in the 17x7-8 range or you can get brand new steel wheels for 50 per.

I love shopping for 1 season used winter tires in the spring and fall. You can usually get them half off and still have several seasons of use in them. Discount tire near me only charges 40-50 bucks to mount and balance tires on wheels.

Bonus points if you can find a set of tmps for sale around 50-80 bucks on a Subaru forum or facebook page. Make accounts on the WRX and Forester forums because there is a lot of cross compatibility and sometimes they sell parts super cheap when they don't fit their car but they do fit ours.

on the original tires and replacement Bridgestone tires I am able to climb the hill going up to my house in a foot of snow no issues. I would love winter tires but I do not have the room to store them. I have a single car garage that just barely holds the Legacy and my tools for yard work/snow removal.

I'm with A_A_ron. If you have the cash, get a separate set of winter tires. Heck, get some steelies if you need to and run with hubcaps. I hadn't gotten my winter setup on yet and we had some snow fall here. I thought I was gonna slide off the road barely doing 10 mph. I have the Michelin PS A/S 3+'s and at 245 width and in snow, it's just an awful combo. Scooby, I might try those Nokians out next winter. We'll see how my wear goes. I'm on my fourth winter now with these Yokohama winters and I'm at about 8/32nd's for wear.

If you have a very short commute and drive close to where you live, I wouldn't worry too much about a full separate setup but because my job is 25 miles away and we often travel a lot (half an hour in any given direction) in the winter, I feel it's dumb not too.

Here's a video from when I left the city I work in, last winter. We had a good 8-10" on the road in some spots but she's a tough ol' girl. She handled it.

Archived