LegacyGT.com

H e a d e r s

Does anyone know of any good UEL headers for a third generation Legacy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about any dual port headers for the 2.5. eBay it. I have Borla knockoffs from a 99-01 2.5RS on my car.

I have Ebay 88 dollar UEL's from a seller named SpeedDaddy. My buddy has 2 cars with them on it, and i have a set. Just chopped my muffler off and I'm running the speeddaddy UEL's with 2 cats and 2 resonators.

Get the 2.25 in collector not the 2.5 in collector. They bolt up to your cat pipe no problem, and come with hardware. Sometimes you need to tap them with a hammer to have them clear an aftermarket swaybar, or the power steering lines. I was going to chop the flanges off my stock headers and use them as a spacer so it will clear everything no problem, just gasket the head and the spacer (so 2 sets of gaskets).

They ended up fitting better than expected and clearing the PS lines. Just hit them a bit to clear my fat whiteline swaybar. I did 2 gaskets for a little extra spacing. They were good multi layer steel gaskets from a turbo car, the ones that come with the header are trash and you should just toss them. When you go gasket on gasket you should RTV them but I got lazy and didn't, no exhaust leak yet though.

You will also have to do what my friends and I have taken to calling the "Ebay Stretch"

The header ends up being a tad short of fitting on the car, so you will have to put one side on a stud and stretching the header on to the other side.

Mine is newer and slightly better design then my friends, the runners for the pass. side head go longer before going to a collector, but they are not welded quite as well around the flange. When I get a custom exhaust made I will have him sure up the welds so I don't pop anything. Also going to heat wrap the rest of it so it doesn't heat unevenly. 20ft of header wrap is not enough. You will need 50-80 ft to do it. I suggest doing it over the spot with the PS lines so they don't boil the power steering fluid if nothing else.

Does anyone know of any good UEL headers for a third generation Legacy?

There are tons of knock-offs but if you see a set of true Borlas buy them also Inferno Fabrications makes a set they are hand made in WA state and not costly.

Inferno Fab:

http://www.infernofab.com/exhaust.html

If you want an update cat pipe look for a brand called Random Tech they make Dual inline cat pipes and singles.

I have Ebay 88 dollar UEL's from a seller named SpeedDaddy. My buddy has 2 cars with them on it, and i have a set. Just chopped my muffler off and I'm running the speeddaddy UEL's with 2 cats and 2 resonators.

Get the 2.25 in collector not the 2.5 in collector. They bolt up to your cat pipe no problem, and come with hardware. Sometimes you need to tap them with a hammer to have them clear an aftermarket swaybar, or the power steering lines. I was going to chop the flanges off my stock headers and use them as a spacer so it will clear everything no problem, just gasket the head and the spacer (so 2 sets of gaskets).

They ended up fitting better than expected and clearing the PS lines. Just hit them a bit to clear my fat whiteline swaybar. I did 2 gaskets for a little extra spacing. They were good multi layer steel gaskets from a turbo car, the ones that come with the header are trash and you should just toss them. When you go gasket on gasket you should RTV them but I got lazy and didn't, no exhaust leak yet though.

You will also have to do what my friends and I have taken to calling the "Ebay Stretch"

The header ends up being a tad short of fitting on the car, so you will have to put one side on a stud and stretching the header on to the other side.

Mine is newer and slightly better design then my friends, the runners for the pass. side head go longer before going to a collector, but they are not welded quite as well around the flange. When I get a custom exhaust made I will have him sure up the welds so I don't pop anything. Also going to heat wrap the rest of it so it doesn't heat unevenly. 20ft of header wrap is not enough. You will need 50-80 ft to do it. I suggest doing it over the spot with the PS lines so they don't boil the power steering fluid if nothing else.

Thank you so much! I’ll start looking on eBay for headers and I’ll buy some good gaskets. However I don’t think I will have any problems with a sway bar, for mine is stock. The power steering does worry me though. Just a little bit of wrap will solve that?

Another place to check out if you want more choices is ERG Performance. They offer different style headers, catted, catless, and resonator J-pipe and test pipes. I'm considering getting one of their resonator test pipes or a high flow catted J-pipe for my 99 Legacy, if I can convince them to sell me one that's not in a header kit. Another good resource is SE Motors. They tend to be a little cheaper than ERG, but it depends on what you want.

Inferno Fabrication is a little on the pricey side, but it's true that they are made in the US. They also have one of only a few designs of UEL and EL EJ22 single port headers.

Archived