LegacyGT.com

Fuel leaking through the top of PS fuel pump

I did some searching on this and can't find anything and I'm sure that if there is something, someone will direct me to it and that's fine.

I had a fuel leak the other day at work. I had just filled it and drove it to work and and person that parked next to me came in and said I had a dripping leak and puddle. I went out and sure enough, it was coming out of the lower plastic cover under the tank. Got home, removed the cover under the seat, and found that fuel was coming up through the top of the cover around the quick connect elbows and also to find the gasket/ring was actually broken off around the outside of the plastic pump head/housing and clamp ring.

Has anyone else seen this before? I have mentioned before that this car barely takes fuel and I have checked everything including replacing the EVAP system and charcoal canister and shut valve with no luck. I have put air through all of the lines and all seem open.

Open to any and all suggestions/experiences because I'm sick of taking 10 minutes to put $20 worth of gas in it AND the smell is becoming a bit annoying as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

That's just a funny thing! Same thing happened to me about a couple of days ago.

I filled up my tank in the morning and noticed a gas smell later on that day when it was parked inside my garage. There was no smell inside the car so I looked all around the engine near the quick connects and found I had residue in the rear passenger side under the fuel tank. I also pulled the cover off and there was some residue on the tank. Took some break cleaner and sprayed it off and drove around for the day and nothing showed up on the bottom of the tank and no fuel smell. I decided to purchase a new carbon canister and vent solenoid. I wont get the parts till the end of the week , and I really dont know when Im going to get them on, I will keep you posted.

Also on a side note, my car now has a CEL of P0458...

• 2 months later...
I filled up one morning last week and later that night I noticed the gas smell and a nice little puddle in front of the right rear tire. I got the car towed home that next day (I also have the ER HC problem) and it's been sitting in my driveway since. It's balls cold outside so I haven't taken the time to remove the plastic cover yet.

Update to the issue. There is a bulletin for my legacy due to the fuel pump assembly. Looks like the factor gasket that sits around he hanger is a factory defect. Replacement parts are about $30, labor is 1hr wherever you go. This fixed my issue. No more fuel smell and no puddle under the rear passenger tire.

Archived