LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2.5 Max Fuel Tank Range Record

Just got my record max range at 1 010 KM today (Approx 627 miles).

That's not the range you actually attained, it's the estimated "Driving range on remaining fuel" (a.k.a. estimated "Distance to empty") immediately after filling up the tank. On occasion, immediately after filling up I have briefly seen "Distance to empty" estimates as high as 800 miles in our 2015 Legacy. Were they realistic? No, and after a few miles of driving they reverted to values that were still high but more realistic.

As far as actual range, I have achieved as high as 559 miles in our 2015 Legacy 2.5 (with 4.3 gallons still in reserve) and as high as 511 miles in our 2016 Outback 2.5 (3.9 gallon reserve). In the attached photo (from our Outback in August, 2018), you can see 271.8 miles since the last fill up and 440 miles estimated distance to empty, for a total estimated range of 272 + 440 = 712 miles. (As a cross-check, 39.1 mpg x 18.5 gallons = 723 miles.) Was 712 miles a realistic range estimate? No. Is it typical? No. Would I ever try to stretch my range that far. Of course not, especially in remote areas.

N.B. From the factory, the displayed onboard fuel economy calculation in most Legacys and Outbacks (MY 2015 and later) is about 5% optimistic. There is a calibration constant that dealers can adjust, which I have had done on both our cars, so our displayed fuel economy values are generally within +/-1% of actual.

Outback_Fuel_Mileage_0236.jpg.7b03f02eaa1edb2bd44d82cdda5350f8.jpg

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The farthest I've actually gone without fill up was about 520 miles. There was less than an eighth left (before the gas gauge recall was applied). I don't recall how much gas I put in, but it didn't seem unreasonable.

The farthest I've actually gone without fill up was about 520 miles. There was less than an eighth left (before the gas gauge recall was applied). I don't recall how much gas I put in, but it didn't seem unreasonable.

same here 530 miles on 16.5 gallons of gas or 32 mpg at 72 (actual) mph in the 2014 legacy traveling at night with light traffic except through Chicago.

I went 567 miles (913 kms) once. It filled 67 litres - way too close to the line, less than a gallon remaining in the tank.

Also remember that your vehicle's estimation on those last kms may well be optimistic and the number will blank out at about 30 miles (!).

I'm averaging 30.9 mpg lifetime (7.6 km/l) in a cold climate, mostly highway. Satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...
I've regularly driven over 500 miles (~540 with 2.x left in the tank) But, I can't remember the exact millage ~520 I believe pre - gas gauge fix , and I ran out of gas about 2 blocks from the gas station. Now I take the "do you want me to look for a gas station" message from the Nav system more seriously. ;-)