LegacyGT.com

If my engine takes a dump...

So, my engine is pushing 250,000 miles. I check my oil daily and change it with Rotella, and OEM Subaru filters at 3K. I replace the banjo filters, turbo side every 50K and the other one at every time I do the timing belt, instead of just deleting them. Original turbo and all that. Anyways, my question is, if the engine takes a dump, I'm not crushing it. I'd rather spend 1.5-2K replacing the engine than that. What would you do, as far as engine replacements?

Is this the time to get an upgraded engine and push some upgrades? Like a bigger turbo, 6MT, etc. Or, just get a new stock rebuilt engine? I guess there's a lot of "what-if" variables, but I'm wondering what others have done, or would do. I know these cars can go for quite a long time, but I should probably set up a savings account and prepare for the worst.

An OEM rebuild is going to run you closer to 5k. An OEM short block costs about 2k.

It really depends on what your power goals are. You can stick with a mostly OEM build and still be around 300whp, which is enough for me for a 15-year-old street car.

I would agree though, having some cash around for a rebuild is a good idea.

You should look at the "click Here link" in my sig for how to do it right the first time.

Have a plan and do it before things get real bad and take out your heads.

I began my plan about this time of the year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends on how much power you wanna make. An OEM shortblock will last the longest number of miles before needing a rebuild. I'd recommend GSC single valve springs as well as their intake and exhaust valves. I did all of those things. If you wanna run a huge turbo and make over 350WHP or so then a built motor is in your future.

If you love the car and want to keep it in the 300-325 HP range, a stock short block delivered to your door from Heubergers in CO and properly rebuilt heads and a good tune should set you up for many more miles. If the heads need something replaced, the shop should let you know. Hopefully the tranny is in good nick, 250K is starting to get up there :)